Skyfi WISP

Slaught3r

Expert Member
How much do you pay monthly for this service and how much did installation cost?
Their 20MB packages are R1100 a month if I am not mistaken. No FUP, no throttling. Installation is R4k - then the equipment becomes yours, which is a router with the satellite dish.

tommy65

price R1000 pm
contention ratio: 1:15
Package: 20 down, 6-15 up

pros:
gaming is a breeze with this, pings are amazing, and no jitter.
speed test after 6pm have been greater than 25down and atleast 6up
no Fair use policy(FUP) - basically can download terabytes and no throttling.
pretty much the best deal i have seen from any WISP's (at least of the ones i know of)

cons:
i am very new to them, just over a month, have not really made use of their after hours call center yet

Conclusion:
i was with Wirulink for a couple of months prior to this, they are also good but definitely not as good as these guys in terms of
speed
contention ratio
price
FUP
gaming
Hi all,

my last post was around 2 months ago praising Skyfi, now after some time with them, i do have some issues with them which i will point out below....

1. gaming as i stated was a breeze when i posted last time, but these days, i could say 3/10 times i play online (csgo) where ping is a big deal, i have been getting shocking pings, >250... initially they said its due to overcast conditions and amount of people online using the service etc however i have tried it at 1AM when i could see all the stars in the sky and same issue...horrible pings basically unplayable... on other occasions the 3 out of 10 times, it is awesome to play with <12 ping

2. in my 1st post i stated that i have never used the after hours call centre... i have now several times i have to say it is worse than getting raped by a pack of gorillas... they have never solved any issues of mine which has always been slow speeds... all they will say is that they will escalate the matter and the next day, it would be fine. The other thing is that their phone line is horrible, many times i call them, i cannot hear them at all, i thought it was my land line but i tried with 3 other cellphones on different networks and i get the same issue.

In conclusion,
i have been somewhat satisfied with the download speeds i get, it is still, as far as i know, the cheapest wisp (maybe someone can correct me) but if you do want to game online where ping is a really big deal then you can somewhat use this wisp for gaming...however for FPS games, it is literally like a lottery if you get good pings... i dont play online much due to my work constraints but sometimes i do wanna go online and play some cs and it is irritating to almost always finding out that the ping is **** to play with...

crowbar2008

They are the cheapest WISP I have found so far. Do you also get random disconnects?
I get constant disconnection that lasts anything from 5-15 min. I literally have around -69db to the point I am connecting too.

To top it off all of a sudden I am now charged for a 10mbs service when I have a 8mbs service . Still waiting for their accounts department to phone me with a explanation.

I will continue to post until I am heard please also see hellopeter

tommy65

They are the cheapest WISP I have found so far. Do you also get random disconnects?
@SharkBait yes i do get random disconnect a lot of the times but theu do range from 2 minutes to 7-8 min... basically just when i pick up the phone to call them, it would start working again...im actually thinking of getting a 1 meg line(or what ever is the cheapest) adsl just to play online...

Slaught3r

Expert Member
Me too. Getting absolutely gatvol. My connection at home is fine because my network is functioning, 100%. The only problem is the base not responding.

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
@SharkBait yes i do get random disconnect a lot of the times but theu do range from 2 minutes to 7-8 min... basically just when i pick up the phone to call them, it would start working again...im actually thinking of getting a 1 meg line(or what ever is the cheapest) adsl just to play online...
My order has been open with Telkom for quite some time now, but once it comes through, I will change!

crowbar2008

I am done with Skyfi. Canceling my contract tomorrow if anyone is looking for a brand new dish and device let me know not even a month old. My connection has been down for 4 hrs now. And they charged me for a 10mbs service I am supposed to be charged for a 8mbs service

Slaught3r

Expert Member
I am done with Skyfi. Canceling my contract tomorrow if anyone is looking for a brand new dish and device let me know not even a month old. My connection has been down for 4 hrs now. And they charged me for a 10mbs service I am supposed to be charged for a 8mbs service
I feel your pain... I have also had some serious connection issues the past two days. You can phone and complain, but nothing gets done. Apparently they are trying to stabilize the network, but from where I am sitting they are not doing much.

Who are you moving to? I don't really have that many options available to me, so I am not sure I am going to cancel just yet, but I am getting there.

tommy65

Can anyone recommend an automatic speed test to test on the hour or so...i need to send prrof to skyfi that my speeds are rubbish...when im at work they say that i am getting my actual speeds but when i come back from work (after 6pm) im getting half my speed...even at 1am im still getting half my speed...so i really doubt they are telling the truth...

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Can anyone recommend an automatic speed test to test on the hour or so...i need to send prrof to skyfi that my speeds are rubbish...when im at work they say that i am getting my actual speeds but when i come back from work (after 6pm) im getting half my speed...even at 1am im still getting half my speed...so i really doubt they are telling the truth...
No need to proof to them your connection is shyte. They should know it by now about all the complaints going around. There is a link I have posted before, that does the auto tests: http://testmy.net/auto

Also see: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/864950-CPA-regulations-wrt-cancelling-contracts

Salt

Expert Member
Oh no...I also looked at Skyfi and they let me know yesterday they can give me connectivity - see below. I do not want to sign a 24 month contract. Thing that makes me even consider them is that they are the only alternative to my crappy ADSL...
View attachment 412746

Slaught3r

Expert Member
Anyone still experiencing problems with SKyfi? I am having endless problems.
Keep dropping connection every now and then. Managed to speak to a techie who said that I need to restart my router once a day, because that is the way they work...

I must say, apart from the drops every now and then (that last for about 5 - 10 minutes) my connection has been pretty stable. Streaming, gaming, torrents etc all running pretty smooth.

crowbar2008

You shouldn't have to restart it every day. These devices are clever enough to clear cache. Their is something very wrong with their network as I am typing this on my 3G now just got home and wife said at about 1pm when she got back their has been no Internet.