Some Linux forums are not as user friendly as their software is.

reneg8or

In general, as we have seen here, there is a true community going and people are friendly. However, on some distro-specific forums, I have found small-mindedness not in keeping with the spirit of Linux. On some forums, you get reprimanded for using the name of another distro, for instance. If MacDonalds chase me out or ban me for a week for mentioning their petty-mindedness in public, is it because of them feeling insecure? No, in real life, McD won't rip out their own guts with a white-hot piece of iron just because I walked into Steers.

Some seem to be like the churches: the pastors steal from the flocks of others but lord over those who they think might stray. Every distro of Linux and even Mac OS remains LINUX! Stand together, support another and accommodate people from rural areas and "developing" countries where just opening a web page and loggin in is no small feat, let alone posting the right question at the right place.

I had to reboot nine times in less than 45 minutes to get something done today. I live amidst princes and paupers - on my street, billionaires live side-by-side with some of the poorest in all of Africa. Some drive Bentley or RR, commoners drive BMW and Mercedes, while other regulars push stolen shopping trolleys. Yet we live in harmony and we share one common thing: the lack of broadband! the wealthy can sport their iPhone 5's and Blackberry Z10's, the poor play on (stolen??) old handsets from a previous decade - yet nobody has a signal, open a web page is a real challenge and downloading or reading online information is not that easy.

The best hotel in Africa, the second best and the third best are on my doorstep; so are other 5- and 4-star hotels, a neighbourhood equivalent to Beverly hills or Notting Hill and yet we cannot communicate freely as illegal wireless phones interfere with our signal here.

To live in a connected world yet without "cloud cover" is not easy: to gain information on Linux is rather hard as the forums are so full of rules and petty attitudes that would-be users get scared off in no time.

If Linux is the future, some of its users should leave the terminal and embrace the world of rich content; a real world in full colour, in 3D, where users are even friendlier than their software. I almost cannot believe some of the attitudes I come across.

Perhaps time to buy Apple?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Well, unfortunately every site is allowed to enforce their own silly rules if they want to. The world sucks like that sometimes.

reneg8or

Well, unfortunately every site is allowed to enforce their own silly rules if they want to. The world sucks like that sometimes.

Just steer well clear of the little world of PCLinuxOS. I got reprimanded for having used the word UBUNTU on their forum and banned for a week because I objected. There really are nice folks there but also, sadly, some of the most sour I have seen over five decades. People with tiny minds and elphant-sized ego's. In thanking them for banning me, I make their ways public. We don't need that petty-mindedness in Linuxworld!

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Just steer well clear of the little world of PCLinuxOS. I got reprimanded for having used the word UBUNTU on their forum and banned for a week because I objected. There really are nice folks there but also, sadly, some of the most sour I have seen over five decades. People with tiny minds and elphant-sized ego's. In thanking them for banning me, I make their ways public. We don't need that petty-mindedness in Linuxworld!

Lol, that's hilarious. MyBB is the only forum I need :D

vinodh

Expert Member
Don't feel so bad. I was banned at mygaming.co.za for trying to promote a local simracing league. I eventually got unbanned a year or two later when I explained to them that it was a free league that was just to help SA gamers race F1 cars using rFactor. It was not to make money or sell products.

I was also banned for a week at Carbonite.co.za for trying to help someone get a price for an SSD by mentioning a price from Esquire. I was informed that as a senior member I should know better even though it says on the forum that I'm a junior. I just took it on the chin and kept on trucking.

You will always find people that don't appreciate your point of view. The tricky part is accepting that and to continue doing what you know is right, regardless.

reneg8or

Lol, that's hilarious. MyBB is the only forum I need :D

I have also joined ubuntulife.co.za and I am finding wisdom there as well. they don't flinch or fight if I mention Debora or Fedora or what's that girl's name again..............? Or Linux in Mint condition, perhaps.

reneg8or

Don't feel so bad. I was banned at mygaming.co.za for trying to promote a local simracing league. I eventually got unbanned a year or two later when I explained to them that it was a free league that was just to help SA gamers race F1 cars using rFactor. It was not to make money or sell products.

I was also banned for a week at Carbonite.co.za for trying to help someone get a price for an SSD by mentioning a price from Esquire. I was informed that as a senior member I should know better even though it says on the forum that I'm a junior. I just took it on the chin and kept on trucking.

You will always find people that don't appreciate your point of view. The tricky part is accepting that and to continue doing what you know is right, regardless.

I don't mind if they don't appreciate my point of view; I also give them freedom of thought, but to ban someone in the first few hours of membership just because I used capital letters? omw, i did it again! i said "I". oops. i can live with differences of opinion but not rudeness. we are supposed to have evolved by now.

pgs

Forum > It discussion > Linux ? Where does the content relate to Linux? Human relationships, or attitude or any psycho forum but not IT. "I had to reboot 10 times today" Er? Why? "Because I was trying to install something" Er? What? I use Gentoo, the Gentoo forum is NOT a nice place. That doesn't stop me from using Gentoo. I search the forum with duckduckgo and don't have a problem finding info.

reneg8or

Forum > It discussion > Linux ? Where does the content relate to Linux? Human relationships, or attitude or any psycho forum but not IT. "I had to reboot 10 times today" Er? Why? "Because I was trying to install something" Er? What? I use Gentoo, the Gentoo forum is NOT a nice place. That doesn't stop me from using Gentoo. I search the forum with duckduckgo and don't have a problem finding info.

It becomes a Linux issue when formal/official forums of some distro's are totally intolerant of minors errors by new members trying to find their way and it most definately is a Linux issue when Linux geeks/gurus chase off new converts, thereby taking away their opportunity to ask dumb questions and to learn. Or to create the following that Linux deserves and also needs to exist in future. It is hard suckling milk from a fozen decanter that's metallic and not comforting.

If you read my post, I referred to the major effort just to lo on to a website, due to the erratic "broadband" that hardly qualifies as GPRS here; for trying to communicate and learn, with four mobile operators and well over twenty towers still not being able for us here to connect and maintain that connection, so that we can learn how to use, maintain and add to our Linux. When there is no cloud in cloud computing. I find that rebooting the phone is essential once it had lost its connection a few times; same goes for the Linux box. It really is a challenge then to ask the proper questions in a proper way on the appropriate page of the correct forum in an compliant way that won't invoke a reprimand instantly.

At least, I showed my commitment.........

reneg8or

Which distro are you referring to?

First Ubuntu.

Then Mint.

Then PCLinuxOS.

Like Dr JohnZoidberg stated down below, perhaps "all I need is myBB." At least here we never had these attitudes! :D :D

pgs

If you read my post, I referred to the major effort just to lo on to a website, due to the erratic "broadband" that hardly qualifies as GPRS here

Actually no, because there was so much waffle that I skipped over most of the non-relevant parts to Linux Referring to fast food joints and cars (although I like them) in a Linux post puts me off. You are trying to connect a Cell Phone to your PC through Linux? I gave up years ago and didn't bother again. Why should I when ADSL, and previously Satellite and dial-up worked just fine.

reneg8or

The analogy of the fast food joints explained that all the different distro's all serve Linux but some are so jealous that they want to monitor and control their users in a cult way.

My take on connectivity has everything to do with productivity and the need to sync essentials such as pim data between devices. Not all can afford dial-up, many in this country don't even have that due to copper cable theft. Vast tracts of rural land has no fixed lines available. Satellite is not affordable.

MyWorld

Executive Member
In general, as we have seen here, there is a true community going and people are friendly. However, on some distro-specific forums, I have found small-mindedness not in keeping with the spirit of Linux. On some forums, you get reprimanded for using the name of another distro, for instance.
{snip}
I was going to reply... but...

I got reprimanded for having used the word UBUNTU
Yea, that will do it. Ubuntu is the scourge on most other sites, why would you want Ubuntu help on a PCLinuxOS forum? Why not head on over to the right place from the get go?
And I bet is wasn't something innocent like "it worked in Ubuntu but not in PCLinuxOS".

It becomes a Linux issue when formal/official forums of some distro's are totally intolerant of minors errors by new members trying to find their way... {snip}
I too am intolerant on the Arch Linux forums and the Gentoo Forums way back in the day. If you have made no effort to even read the installation manual or search on the wiki for an answer then you need to have your hind quarters tanned a bit. It is a bit more advanced Linux, if you cannot even comprehend the reading of a manual then stick to Mint/Ubuntu - whatever.
The same goes for other distros, have you made any effort to Google the question first?

In the good old days on IRC you only got a RTM reply (Read the Manual - with a few swear words here and there) because in 99.9% of the cases your problem is not unique, someone else has had the same problem, took the time to properly troubleshoot it, made a bug report, released a patch and helped others on various forums with the same problem.
If you cannot Google a simple problem, then give up on IT altogether, it is not for you.

Anyway, toughen up, Linux is not for everyone, to make it this you will have to close it down like Android and that will never happen. Like it and use it or pay MS/Apple for their inferior products, makes no difference to me personally.
:D

reneg8or

I was going to reply... but...

Yea, that will do it. Ubuntu is the scourge on most other sites, why would you want Ubuntu help on a PCLinuxOS forum? Why not head on over to the right place from the get go?
And I bet is wasn't something innocent like "it worked in Ubuntu but not in PCLinuxOS".

I too am intolerant on the Arch Linux forums and the Gentoo Forums way back in the day. If you have made no effort to even read the installation manual or search on the wiki for an answer then you need to have your hind quarters tanned a bit. It is a bit more advanced Linux, if you cannot even comprehend the reading of a manual then stick to Mint/Ubuntu - whatever.
The same goes for other distros, have you made any effort to Google the question first?

In the good old days on IRC you only got a RTM reply (Read the Manual - with a few swear words here and there) because in 99.9% of the cases your problem is not unique, someone else has had the same problem, took the time to properly troubleshoot it, made a bug report, released a patch and helped others on various forums with the same problem.
If you cannot Google a simple problem, then give up on IT altogether, it is not for you.

Anyway, toughen up, Linux is not for everyone, to make it this you will have to close it down like Android and that will never happen. Like it and use it or pay MS/Apple for their inferior products, makes no difference to me personally.
:D

I really did not ask for help or whatever. I posted and article that I had written on the millions of people who only have basic internet via ancient GPRS/Edge and not even 3G, as we also see in South Africa. I just **mentioned** the word ''ubuntu'' in a sentence and they came down on me. Their conduct was immature, emotional and also really uncalled for.

It displays a petty-mindedness that is not in keeping with who they claim to ne. I am not brand loyal and there is room for everybody. I like many features in different Linux distros, same as Windows & Mac. I like Landcruisers, Discoveries and Defenders. And also many other brands. Take what is good from each and live a fuller life.

I am only learning a little about other distros now, such as Mandriva, Slackware, Gentoo, etc. I've known about them for long but am not really informed.

oom

I think the problem with some of the Linux guys is they think they are the balm. However there are still a lot of places you can get good advise and help.

MyWorld

Executive Member
I think the problem with some of the Linux guys is they think they are the balm. However there are still a lot of places you can get good advise and help.

The problem with most new users are that the questions they asked has been answered hundreds of times, just use the site search or Google before posting a question, that is all I'm saying.

I have never had harsh treatment if I indicated that I did indeed first try and search for the solution on my own (except for the Gentoo and Arch forums - they can be nasty if they want to!)

Granted, there are more nasty communities out there, stay away from the Gentoo Forums, use their wiki, it is gold, but stay away from their forums. You'll get 3rd degree burns even if you are an advanced user.

The most tolerant places that I have come across is the Linuxanswers, Ubuntu and Mint forums, probably one or two more, just can't put my finger on it atm.