Some Linux forums are not as user friendly as their software is.

ponder

Honorary Master
Granted, there are more nasty communities out there, stay away from the Gentoo Forums, use their wiki, it is gold, but stay away from their forums. You'll get 3rd degree burns even if you are an advanced user.

You nooblet :p I've never had issues at the Arch or Gentoo forums although I did not use Gentoo for long. Arch is quite friendly but the Gentoo guys can be a bit hard. I've always subscribed to this http://linuxsilo.net/docs/smart-questions_en.html

Worst experience ever was having my head bitten off on the freebsd irc channel by some dude but everyone told me just to ignore the dude as he's the resident grumpy fsck :D
Sent Theo de Raadt from openbsd mail before expecting a really acid response (guys got a rep for not mincing his words or toning things down to be nice) but hey totally the opposite, seemed like a helluva nice guy.

Like you said peoples questions have been answered before but they can't be bothered searching and then you get those that demand help as if volunteers owe them something. I think a lot of people get gatvol of this and start burning people :D

Bismuth

Expert Member
Like you said peoples questions have been answered before but they can't be bothered searching and then you get those that demand help as if volunteers owe them something. I think a lot of people get gatvol of this and start burning people :D

This will happen to you on the Ubuntu Forums, if you don't show that you've at least tried to search on the forums and/or Google. I actually agree with this, as virtually any issue I've had with Ubuntu has been solved by either search Google, or the Ubuntu Forums directly. More often than not, Google took me to the Ubuntu Forums in any case.

B

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Try the Smoothwall community ;)

Lots of friendly people, including the resident Ook :)

community.smoothwall.org/forum

reneg8or

This will happen to you on the Ubuntu Forums, if you don't show that you've at least tried to search on the forums and/or Google. I actually agree with this, as virtually any issue I've had with Ubuntu has been solved by either search Google, or the Ubuntu Forums directly. More often than not, Google took me to the Ubuntu Forums in any case.

B

Some people have limited internet access, their 3G data is insanely expensive, they may be using a cell phone and not a computer to browse. Think of so many people in rural areas. One has to anticipate their circumstances. The search tool on Ubuntu is an illogical, quirky beast. No, some forums are almost hostile and this already discourage new Linux users.

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
I have also joined ubuntulife.co.za and I am finding wisdom there as well. they don't flinch or fight if I mention Debora or Fedora or what's that girl's name again..............? Or Linux in Mint condition, perhaps.

A fedora is a hat... just saying!

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
First Ubuntu.

Then Mint.

Then PCLinuxOS.

Like Dr JohnZoidberg stated down below, perhaps "all I need is myBB." At least here we never had these attitudes! :D :D

I still need to try mint, used ubuntu extensively and have come from a redhat background so fedora is always a good bet for me.
Never been a fan of PClinuxOS.

reneg8or

Mint fresh

I still need to try mint, used ubuntu extensively and have come from a redhat background so fedora is always a good bet for me.
Never been a fan of PClinuxOS.

My experience of Mint so far has been quite satisfactory. Their forum sadly is not always a place to find quick solutions. Few users seemingly go there simply because Mint usually just works!

www.ubuntulife.co.za is where I have joined soon after its inception. Vinodh has put the life back into Ubuntu. Ubuntu's literal meaning is "I am because we are." However, like the situation in the country, the opposite rings true and it is more a matter of "you are because of me."

Hats off to Vinodh for his fresh breeze through the kernel.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I was going to reply... but...

Yea, that will do it. Ubuntu is the scourge on most other sites, why would you want Ubuntu help on a PCLinuxOS forum? Why not head on over to the right place from the get go?
And I bet is wasn't something innocent like "it worked in Ubuntu but not in PCLinuxOS".

I too am intolerant on the Arch Linux forums and the Gentoo Forums way back in the day. If you have made no effort to even read the installation manual or search on the wiki for an answer then you need to have your hind quarters tanned a bit. It is a bit more advanced Linux, if you cannot even comprehend the reading of a manual then stick to Mint/Ubuntu - whatever.
The same goes for other distros, have you made any effort to Google the question first?

In the good old days on IRC you only got a RTM reply (Read the Manual - with a few swear words here and there) because in 99.9% of the cases your problem is not unique, someone else has had the same problem, took the time to properly troubleshoot it, made a bug report, released a patch and helped others on various forums with the same problem.
If you cannot Google a simple problem, then give up on IT altogether, it is not for you.

Anyway, toughen up, Linux is not for everyone, to make it this you will have to close it down like Android and that will never happen. Like it and use it or pay MS/Apple for their inferior products, makes no difference to me personally.
:D

This is exactly why the "Year of Linux on the Desktop" is never going to happen.

Ecco

Executive Member
I setup dual boot on my netbook to try an learn how to use linux (ubuntu). Was a really big struggle, and getting help on forums was difficult, often way too many different options suggested, and too technical.

I gave up.

milomak

Honorary Master
osx is unix not linux based. just saying.

ponder's link in post #21 is very good.

often the reason you get hostility when you mention another distro's name is that it is most often used in the form - but i could do this with <insert distro name>. which can often be a sign of laziness in not having searched how the particular distro you are having a problem with deals with the problem you think is unique to you.

nand

Generally, *nix help is given in the form of documentation. I don't think there are many questions that can't be answered on your own by reading documentation or exploring around.

This becomes a more aparent when moving to more advanced Linux distros, or other Unices. BSD communities for instance, especially Open & Net, are really intolerant of people who don't. Then again, they expect everyone to be experienced system administrators. The FreeBSD community is a bit more forgiving, but they usually just tell you to read The Handbook.