SP of choice

johncgalloway

Hi Guys

Basically, which SP's do you prefer, especially on contract (open ended or top up) and your experience with these
SP's, why you like or dislike them?

I am with MTN, I'm looking towards either Vodacom, Cell C or Telkom. Though I think Cell C just dropped out of the race, and Telkom isn't far behind. (Because I am literally at the sales level at the mo' and sukkeling my arse off to get a sales rep to speak to me and inform me properly about their deals.)

:wtf:

So I thought I'd ask you guys. I realise this is horribly general and might end up with near fanatic responses, but please try to keep it civil and short.

:)

JC

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Hi Guys

Basically, which SP's do you prefer, especially on contract (open ended or top up) and your experience with these

I am with MTN, I'm looking towards either Vodacom, Cell C or Telkom. Though I think Cell C just dropped out of the race, and Telkom isn't far behind. (Because I am literally at the sales level at the mo' and sukkeling my arse off to get a sales rep to speak to me and inform me properly about their deals.)

So I thought I'd ask you guys. I realise this is horribly general and might end up with near fanatic responses, but please try to keep it civil and short.

JC
I'm with MTN now, if I had to move it would be Telkom Mobile.

Wouldn't consider the others at all to be honest.

johncgalloway

Hi

I am not worried about Telkom's honesty (or lack thereof - whichever proves to be true as time goes by) at the moment, the fact that I've been trying to get to speak to one of their sales people and have had 1.5% success, is what gets to me.

But please explain why you prefer Telkom?

breacher

Hi Guys

JC
Haha interesting post, and forgive me but sounds rhetorical to some extend :D

In my experience and due to the fact that I need connectivity at all times (job), also I'm a frequent traveler it seems like having a prepaid sim for all the networks sometimes saves my ass :D

IMO:
Vodacom & MTN generally will still be your better bet in terms of coverage / infrastructure - Cell C is great at times and in specific areas, Telkom Mobile also great, sometimes excellent in specific areas / demand - coverage and consistency Vodacom/MTN - no perfect option

Anyone full proof or consistently great, nope...

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Hi

I am not worried about Telkom's honesty (or lack thereof - whichever proves to be true as time goes by) at the moment, the fact that I've been trying to get to speak to one of their sales people and have had 1.5% success, is what gets to me.

But please explain why you prefer Telkom?
Telkom at the moment has one of the best networks in the country, and they have some of the best deals. When you're out of range of their network, you roam on MTN. Telkom also let you avoid the OOB shark, unlike Vodacom.

With all the networks, if you want their deals you have to walk into their store.

You used to be able to download a deals pdf from the website, but see they've changed the site.

SCHUMI-4-EVA

Expert Member
Vodacom. Because after everything is said and done about the nitty-gritty between the different SPs Vodacom is where Ockie is. He's by far the most responsive and helpful SP "rep" on here and by him providing the deal sheets I also feel their deals are the most transparent (and without those deal sheets you're at the mercy of a saleperson's knowledge...which means you end up with the latest and greatest Samsung 97% of the time and don't even know of your other options if you're not into tech). And in almost 20 years of being with them as a family we've yet to have anything to complain about (other than Cellucity being crap and greedy, but that's not VC's fault).

Last edited:

johncgalloway

Mmm, I'll PM him, I did see a comment about him and something to do with 11"... which would not be what I had in mind for a handset, but what the hell.

; )

Seriously though, thanks, also thanks about the Telkom network replies, in fact I truly appreciate everyone's input. I cannot understand why we don't have serious reviewers about this stuff where a person can go for an unbiased opinion. (If we do, I'm sorry, my Google skills must be falling to pieces.)

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
I've done Cell C, I've done Vodacom. MTN for the past 4 years, renewed my 3rd contract with them 2 or 3 months ago. Never looking back. Network performance in my area is epic - never had issues with them.

SCHUMI-4-EVA

Expert Member
Mmm, I'll PM him, I did see a comment about him and something to do with 11"... which would not be what I had in mind for a handset, but what the hell.

; )

Seriously though, thanks, also thanks about the Telkom network replies, in fact I truly appreciate everyone's input. I cannot understand why we don't have serious reviewers about this stuff where a person can go for an unbiased opinion. (If we do, I'm sorry, my Google skills must be falling to pieces.)
Haha, no need need to get stuck with a 11" tablet for a phone. As I said one of Vodacom's great benefits (if you know about MyBB) is that Ockie provides the full deal sheets in that thread (on page one as the title of the sticky thread reads). That way you can research the living daylights out of the phones in your budget category (you'll have to go to VC's websites for the particulars of the contracts though) and walk into a store knowing exactly what to get or at least having an idea of which devices you want to drill the salesperson about.

He no longer uploads the cash pay-in deals (once-off lump sum instead of increased monthly payments for phones that exceed included contract value) though so you'll have to ask him if that's what you want to do.

Last edited:

johncgalloway

Ha lol. A Phablet... you think I was... Oh no matter, suffice to say when I start speaking inches it's either screen sizes or... tablet sizes. Ummm, yes, indeed.

Just kidding.

I'll PM him. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

SCHUMI-4-EVA

Expert Member
No need to PM if you want the deals...they're right there.

And 11" is no longer a phablet, it's true tablet. Phablets only go up to 7".

johncgalloway

Really? Okay, never knew that, thought we were destined to relive the days of yore when men carried enormous devices on their shoulders to listen to music. Lol, I swear to Yod I had a lady in the lift pull out a mothereffing "skinkbord" tablet, then started dialing on it (I assume it happened because I had seconds before pulled out my iPhone to text) then she brought it up to her ear and after a moment started talking in Xhosa (or possibly Zulu), never mind that there is virtually f-all signal in the shaft! When texting you have to wait to exit before pressing send. Anyway, once we got to where I stepped off I didn't have the heart to tell her it was upside down. Lol, but somehow she could have a conversation so I assumed the speaker and mic picked up fine, but it was rather funny and unusual.

Totally off topic, but still, I thought I'd share.

; )

Last edited:

johncgalloway

So here's where I am at.

After nearly two weeks of phoning, clicking, pressing and blah blahing, I've gotten a helpful response from Cell C even though I thought they were a tad slow out of the starting blocks when measured against Vodacom / MTN response on queries about deals. Telkom however is still trying to figure out which way around the track this race goes. I've literally been licking @$$ through mails, twitter, online call back, this forum and of course phoning and only today... TODAY... did I get through to a gentleman called Karabo who would answer my queries. After that he told me I could request the deal through the net, and wait up to 7 days for a call back, I could go in store OR I could phone the following number: 021 001 7500.

I opted for the number... again. (I phoned earlier today and finally got a lady who promptly told me they don't explain online deals and gave me the number to the call center I got Karabo at.) Well phoning that number again lead to nothing except a phone being picked up and put down, dropping my call... or the last call where it was picked up and seemingly put on hold.

Ps. Just wanted to add that Karabo was helpful and gave me the info I needed, basically I just wanted to make contact with a sales person so that I could confirm the specifics, get a number to fax or mail documents to etc. and then sit down and weigh the two SP's to see which one suits me better.

Right now, without all the k*k and hare of getting a proper response from Telkom sales, Cell C is running ahead though their deals are more expensive, since I have to bolt on extras to get to an acceptable "deal" as the one from Telkom, which goes for R499. Also the handset at Telkom is the one I want, but Cell C is close to a R100 more expensive. Anyway, even so, their sales service puts them miles ahead of Telkom in terms of attractiveness, because, simply put, for the handset that I would take with them and the contract attached to it, I would like to believe that, at the very least, I can get some after sale service.

So far, from Telkom, all I've had are empty promises on Twitter.

I can not remember my line and ADSL application being this tiresome... errr, well, not nearly though.

Last edited:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
So here's where I am at.

After nearly two weeks of phoning, clicking, pressing and blah blahing, I've gotten a helpful response from Cell C even though I thought they were a tad slow out of the starting blocks when measured against Vodacom / MTN response on queries about deals. Telkom however is still trying to figure out which way around the track this race goes. I've literally been licking @$$ through mails, twitter, online call back, this forum and of course phoning and only today... TODAY... did I get through to a gentleman called Karabo who would answer my queries. After that he told me I could request the deal through the net, and wait up to 7 days for a call back, I could go in store OR I could phone the following number: 021 001 7500.

I opted for the number... again. (I phoned earlier today and finally got a lady who promptly told me they don't explain online deals and gave me the number to the call center I got Karabo at.) Well phoning that number again lead to nothing except a phone being picked up and put down, dropping my call... or the last call where it was picked up and seemingly put on hold.
You'll save yourself a lot of hassle by just walking into a store.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
SCHUMI ..... do you want something or are you just in a very good and loving mood today?

:p

SCHUMI-4-EVA

Expert Member
Today? Those posts were made a while ago :p
I truly mean what I said though, you're one hell of an asset to Vodacom.

Last edited: