Springboks vs England 2012 - 3 Test tour

MickeyD

RIP
Doesn't he just have to touch it with his boot?
AFAIK it must pass "under" one of the players in the scrum's feet (behind the heels). I saw the ball come straight through the tunnel and the flank tried to hook it. Instead he nudged it forward with his toe (ook maar net net).

FoXtroT

Expert Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaHv5xfjw18

Pay close attention to the clock when Morne kicks the conversion.

Hmm I see that but I don't think the time carried on and so is not part of the replays. I think morne took the conversion quickly while they were still showing the replay of the try and so they ended up giving a quick shot of him taking the conversion however play had started again which is why the clock didn't seem to change. ie the shot of Morne taking the conversion was actually a replay of sorts, and the time is independent of replays.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Peter Grant is a solid provincial player but there is no way in hell he;s an international player.

How would you know? He's had little or no chance to prove it. And the Stormers are doing so bad this last couple of years , hey?

DJ...

Banned
AFAIK it must pass "under" one of the players in the scrum's feet (behind the heels). I saw the ball come straight through the tunnel and the flank tried to hook it. Instead he nudged it forward with his toe (ook maar net net).

I'm quite sure it doesn't have to pass under a players foot. It merely has to be legally played by any player in the scrum, regardless of where it goes thereafter (otherwise poorly hooked toe-punts would count as a reset, which means every time you feel pressure on the front row, you as the hooker can just kick it out again). The law used to state that only the hooker can play the ball and therefore it is only playable after moving backwards from his feet, but I'm sure this changed a long time ago already.

And yes, we get the Bok games here on Setanta. I felt like the whole of Singapore was watching me when I was the lone sole to stand up and sing the national anthem at 11pm last night...

MickeyD

RIP
I don't know why I'm arguing as I don't care (Bokke scored!) but here goes:

20.7 WHEN THE SCRUM BEGINS
(a) Play in the scrum begins when the ball leaves the hands of the scrum half.
(b) If the scrum half throws in the ball and it comes out at either end of the tunnel, the ball must be thrown in again unless a free kick or penalty has been awarded.
(c) If the ball is not played by a front row player, and it goes straight through the tunnel and comes out behind the foot of a far prop without being touched, the scrum half must throw it in again.
http://www.irblaws.com/EN/laws/5/20/198/during-the-match/scrum/when-the-scrum-begins/#clause_198

CHURCHILL

Expert Member
Let me be the first to congratulate the Springboks on well deserved series win, well done chaps.

elysian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaHv5xfjw18

Pay close attention to the clock when Morne kicks the conversion.

Morne took the conversion quickly when the camera was focusing on Bismarck fixing his boot, so they showed it after the other replays. See 7:15 on the clock, ref says "time back on" and then he blows for the conversion at 7:18. When they show the kick going over, you don't hear the whistle.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
When Brian Habana did that dummy run at the line, was that not an obstruction?

Albereth

Honorary Master
How would you know? He's had little or no chance to prove it. And the Stormers are doing so bad this last couple of years , hey?

Even Peter De Villiers said that he is too slow and can only kick with one foot.

Devill

Damned
and JP is apparently useless to some?!? You beauty JP !

No, last week he just did not look for work ala Habana. This week he was brilliant.

His allround game has been good; it's his goalkicking that has let him down.

+1, attacking the line much better and also not bad on defence, BUT if he does not get his kicking boots back on soon I fear that he will not be the prefered flyhalf much longer.

Personally I would have liked to see Grant get a run.

Must say a lot of players had a good game and I must say I was glad to see Spies do so well.

Wonder if Meyer will make a lot of changes for the deadrubber game.

Last edited:

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Wonder if Meyer will make a lot of changes for the deadrubber game.

I don't really think he will have much of a choice. I expect at least 2 forced changes. Don't know if he will add anyone extra.

Cicero

Expert Member
Well the Boks have definitely been the better team so far.

My thought on the flyhalf situation...

I've always thought that Morne doesn't really have the decision making ability that a number 10 needs, but his boot normally keeps him at my 1st choice anyway - after the last couple of games he's not been stepping up to the plate. But I dont think Lambie has the experience either, and I personally feel Grant doesn't have the skill level. Its difficult, because there is no one that really stands out for me as flyhalf and its such a critical position. Frans Steyn is also not right because he's much better where he is.

We dont have someone really special like a Carter, or Cooper or Giteau or Larkham. Those players really command the game.

Devill

Damned
I don't really think he will have much of a choice. I expect at least 2 forced changes. Don't know if he will add anyone extra.

Well F. Steyn is out (marriage), and with Lambie and Kruger being replaced due to injuries....

If Kruger isn't ready I wonder who will call the lineouts.

Devill

Damned
Well the Boks have definitely been the better team so far.

My thought on the flyhalf situation...

I've always thought that Morne doesn't really have the decision making ability that a number 10 needs, but his boot normally keeps him at my 1st choice anyway - after the last couple of games he's not been stepping up to the plate. But I dont think Lambie has the experience either, and I personally feel Grant doesn't have the skill level. Its difficult, because there is no one that really stands out for me as flyhalf and its such a critical position. Frans Steyn is also not right because he's much better where he is.

We dont have someone really special like a Carter, or Cooper or Giteau or Larkham. Those players really command the game.

Give the Goosen some time ..... That is if he isn't injured every other game :(

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Well F. Steyn is out (marriage), and with Lambie and Kruger being replaced due to injuries....

If Kruger isn't ready I wonder who will call the lineouts.

Yes Frans is out and it looks like Kruger is the most likely not to play - thats my atleast two. Lambie might still be able to play. But if he is out, we definitely need Aplon in my opinion.

15 Aplon 14 JPP 13 Wynand? 12 JDV 11 Habana

I would have rather had JdJ there in 13 but he isn't in the squad.

Who is coming in at 5? Franco? Or do you think they will try to do the whole Eben thing at 5?

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Nee jissus, never ever suggest Meisie ....... there is always someone better to draft in, always.