Spur waiter increases tip on POS machine without me knowing

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
I only go to the Indigo Spur at the Waterstone Village Centre, Somerset West. Just because the service is above than the normal Spur average and that kids have more to do there than in any other Spur in the vicinity.

The burger patties, I don’t remember when Spur had good burger patties. It is so bone dry nowadays that it is like eating cardboard. Burger King makes better burgers than Spur at the moment in my opinion. Steers is giving Spur competition, then you know.
Waterstone is not bad I must say, went there lots with my ex and her kid, just a tad noisy with the kids playroom but hey, Spur motto is something about being a family restaurant and such so all good :thumbsup:
I use to love Strand Spur in the 80s/90's run by Butch and John, the food was the best ever

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
The Spur at the V&A I cannot complain about, always nice to me, and the food is great, better than the other, more local to me, Spur restaurants.

Chef Wesley

Sorry, but "a group of friends and yourself" went to spur and you only tipped R10? What all did you have, just water?

Yes sometimes we receive poor service, but in hospitality it is more often that the customer is demanding, rude and thinks they know everything. By tipping only R10 you prove this. You do not know the hours they work, and waiters are usually always treated like crap.

If that was me, I would've told you to keep your ten bucks, clearly you need it more than I.

Poor service - 8% to 10% tip.

Good service - 11% to 15% tip.

Exceptional service - 20% tip.

Ignorant customers who don't realise that you're have someone wait on you, bringing you drinks and food and cleaning up after you, dealing with loud/drunk/difficult/high-and-mighty clients all day - 1% tip.

See the problem?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Sorry, but "a group of friends and yourself" went to spur and you only tipped R10? What all did you have, just water?

Yes sometimes we receive poor service, but in hospitality it is more often that the customer is demanding, rude and thinks they know everything. By tipping only R10 you prove this. You do not know the hours they work, and waiters are usually always treated like crap.

If that was me, I would've told you to keep your ten bucks, clearly you need it more than I.

Ignorant customers who don't realise that you're have someone wait on you, bringing you drinks and food and cleaning up after you, dealing with loud/drunk/difficult/high-and-mighty clients all day - 1% tip.

See the problem?
Poor service deserve 0% tip. Why should anyone pay for poor service. The waiter shouldn't even get his basic salary, but should be fired if he gives poor service.

Avarerge services I just round off the total giving the guy a few rands, but mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded. So the R2-R3 he gets match the efforts put in.

Good service I usually start at 10%

supersunbird

Honorary Master

See the problem?
So poor service, where half the items you bring me is wrong, deserves 8% tip? #Getoutahere

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator

See the problem?
I see the problem - you're rewarding someone for bad service.

Gothan

Expert Member
Well I have kids, so spur is the obvious choice. Their food sucks and they are over priced, but at least I can drink beer in peace while the kids murder each other on the playground

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Well I have kids, so spur is the obvious choice. Their food sucks and they are over priced, but at least I can drink beer in peace while the kids murder each other on the playground
Luckily my kids grew out of spur.

Reactions: OCP

rietrot

Honorary Master
Many other places offer a kids play area.

OCP

Expert Member
Many other places offer a kids play area.
Which places?

In CT there are precious few places with a dedicated kids play area.

Is someone opened a Papachino's here they would be printing money.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Here is a tip:
Call the manager. Talk to him about the issue. If the manager doesn't solve it, then take it to social media. Spur branch is not gonna know about your complaint here on on the forum, it is achieving nothing. Zero. Zilts. However if you speak to the manager they can sort out the waiter.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Went to Papachinos on Friday as my wife wanted to go there, said the food was good and our son could play. She wasn't wrong, about the same or cheaper then Spur, variety of foods, decent portion sizes and it was actually really good. We ended up paying the same as we would've at Spur, but got better food overall.
Also I don't think Spur get a basic only a commission based on sales, it's been this way forever as far as I know. We should just scrap tips and pay waiters fairly, I know people will say oh but that makes my food more expensive and it will make waiters lazy and and and and.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Also I don't think Spur get a basic only a commission based on sales, it's been this way forever as far as I know. We should just scrap tips and pay waiters fairly, I know people will say oh but that makes my food more expensive and it will make waiters lazy and and and and.
There's a minimum national wage of R20 per hour now (since Jan 1) that excludes things like tips... so expect price increases anyway.

Lupus

Honorary Master
There's a minimum national wage of R20 per hour now (since Jan 1) that excludes things like tips... so expect price increases anyway.
Yeah there's been a minimum wage for waiters for ages, but the restaurants for years have skirted around this by never permanently hiring staff and various other bits of trickery.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Multiple managers who take it in turns to check how you're doing when you've just taken a bit of food in my experience.
yes our spur has easily 4-5 managers on the floor. All with Bluetooth ear devices to respond quickly. There was no reason for OP not to have had the problem solved there since the start.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yeah there's been a minimum wage for waiters for ages, but the restaurants for years have skirted around this by never permanently hiring staff and various other bits of trickery.
They can't skirt it that way anymore. The new act included part timers.