Stage 2 loadshedding from today until... 11pm Monday

Yes, but as mentioned, some people say because its modified sine wave, it will damage electronics. I can only speak about my own experiences. My mom regularly has week long (at least once a month) power outages where she has a 10KVA modified sine wave generator running the whole house. For the past 9 years of using the generator, not a single electronic device has broken, including LED TV's and PC board fridges.
 
Yes, but as mentioned, some people say because its modified sine wave, it will damage electronics. I can only speak about my own experiences. My mom regularly has week long (at least once a month) power outages where she has a 10KVA modified sine wave generator running the whole house. For the past 9 years of using the generator, not a single electronic device has broken, including LED TV's and PC board fridges.
A lot of the inverters the guys use are modified sine wave and they'll plug their TV's into that.
 
Most them use mecer it's pretty good modified sinewave. Generators voltage can be pretty wild at times
Not seen voltages fluctuate that much on the ones I've been using, in fact I've seen Eskom go from 220 to 238 in minutes, where as my generator sits at 220 to 222, can't really think of a reason the voltage would spike much higher, but dropping when petrol runs out of course, but it's generally as quick as a power failure. But plug in surge protectors before the item you're using it with? Like should be done now anyway.
 
Isn't it the hz frequency that is the issue with electronics and generators and not the voltage, not much tolerance from 50Hz? So an inverter generator is the way to go? $$$ tho.

@Lupus, does your genny run the mecer?
 
Isn't it the hz frequency that is the issue with electronics and generators and not the voltage, not much tolerance from 50Hz? So an inverter generator is the way to go? $$$ tho.

@Lupus, does your genny run the mecer?
Never plugged the mecer into the genny :-( and can't at the moment until payday and new battery.
 
Isn't it the hz frequency that is the issue with electronics and generators and not the voltage, not much tolerance from 50Hz? So an inverter generator is the way to go? $$$ tho.

@Lupus, does your genny run the mecer?
The frequency is critical. MUST always be 50 Hz. My generator loads up ( say, with the geyser when I had an electric one), and the Hz goes to 48 or so, the Mecer inverter would switch over to battery - doesn't like it one bit. Also fridge starts making nasty noises.
I have a digital frequency meter on my DB, and Eskom stays spot on 50 Hz at ALL times. Tells you...
And it (wrong frequency) totally messes up ALL your digital clocks (microwave, etc) !
 
Yes, but as mentioned, some people say because its modified sine wave, it will damage electronics. I can only speak about my own experiences. My mom regularly has week long (at least once a month) power outages where she has a 10KVA modified sine wave generator running the whole house. For the past 9 years of using the generator, not a single electronic device has broken, including LED TV's and PC board fridges.
Modified sine or squarewave has no effect on modern electronics (tv computer etc) which is why it is used for computer backup UPS's. What can be damaged is inductive loads such as microwave transformers, fridge motors and older battery chargers with transformer power supplies etc. These usually are noisy to warn you and they will also be overheated.
 
The frequency is critical. MUST always be 50 Hz. My generator loads up ( say, with the geyser when I had an electric one), and the Hz goes to 48 or so, the Mecer inverter would switch over to battery - doesn't like it one bit. Also fridge starts making nasty noises.
I have a digital frequency meter on my DB, and Eskom stays spot on 50 Hz at ALL times. Tells you...
And it (wrong frequency) totally messes up ALL your digital clocks (microwave, etc) !
During one power outage I ran my computer directly from 20 ups batteries which is DC 240Volts. It works fine except the old VGA crt screen I used became magnetized and so the colours were green and purple but the degaus circuit fixed that immediately when Eskom power was working again.
 
During one power outage I ran my computer directly from 20 ups batteries which is DC 240Volts. It works fine except the old VGA crt screen I used became magnetized and so the colours were green and purple but the degaus circuit fixed that immediately when Eskom power was working again.
You ran your computer directly from a 240V DC source?
 
Not sure if anyone else in CPT could help shed some light on this.... (No pun intended)

Eskom is at Stage 2 Loadshedding until 23:00

CoCT is at stage 1 loadshedding until 18:00... but what's gonna happen after that? Stage 2 or will it be suspended?

I was caught by surprise by loadshedding yesterday because CoCT said Stage 1 Loadshedding until 00:00, but initially failed to mention that it would be Stage 2 straight after until 6:00.
 
Not sure if anyone else in CPT could help shed some light on this.... (No pun intended)

Eskom is at Stage 2 Loadshedding until 23:00

CoCT is at stage 1 loadshedding until 18:00... but what's gonna happen after that? Stage 2 or will it be suspended?

I was caught by surprise by loadshedding yesterday because CoCT said Stage 1 Loadshedding until 00:00, but initially failed to mention that it would be Stage 2 straight after until 6:00.
Nationally it's stage 2 until sunday 23:00. So cape town will be stage 2 otherwise stage 1 when they can. That's how I interpret it.
 
Not sure if anyone else in CPT could help shed some light on this.... (No pun intended)

Eskom is at Stage 2 Loadshedding until 23:00

CoCT is at stage 1 loadshedding until 18:00... but what's gonna happen after that? Stage 2 or will it be suspended?

I was caught by surprise by loadshedding yesterday because CoCT said Stage 1 Loadshedding until 00:00, but initially failed to mention that it would be Stage 2 straight after until 6:00.
The hydrodam needs time to pump the water back up. This is normally done during the quietest time.
 
You ran your computer directly from a 240V DC source?
You can actually. Almost all computers use switch mode power supplies; the very first stage in any SMPS is a rectifier circuit that converts the 240V AC mains into a DC voltage (which is higher than 240VDC by the way).
 
The frequency is critical. MUST always be 50 Hz. My generator loads up ( say, with the geyser when I had an electric one), and the Hz goes to 48 or so, the Mecer inverter would switch over to battery - doesn't like it one bit. Also fridge starts making nasty noises.
I have a digital frequency meter on my DB, and Eskom stays spot on 50 Hz at ALL times. Tells you...
And it (wrong frequency) totally messes up ALL your digital clocks (microwave, etc) !
Really?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X