• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Starting a vegetable garden.

JC H

This year I will start a vegetable garden and I am going to need some tips, like when do I start planting and what vegetable are easy to plant. What about soil, water, etc. Thank you.

T-Man

Frost should be over for the year, even here in the Highveld. You want a spot with a lot of sunlight. Soil should have a lot of organic matter/compost. Start with seedlings for the nursery - they will give you a quicker reward. Only plant what you like to eat.
I'm not fond of planting tomatoes. There are to many factors that can ruin the harvest. I did have success with moneymaker and cherry varieties. Spinach is always winner.
Squash is also easy but they need space.

signates

Expert Member
There's already a beginner fruit & veg gardening thread with some tips. Will see if I can find the link.

JC H

Wow, nice to know so many people into gardening!!!! Thanks for the tips and link

Currantly

This year I will start a vegetable garden and I am going to need some tips, like when do I start planting and what vegetable are easy to plant. What about soil, water, etc. Thank you.
That's a nice looking vegetable garden you got there...it would be a pity if somebody where to expropriate it without compensation...

JC H

Mine is thrivng at the moment. We planted a lot of the checkers mini's and it's actually provding my lunch salad most days ( lettuce, tommatoes , radish ). The raddish is cute!
The parsley look like is difficult to grow !!

Kosmik

Honorary Master
The parsley look like is difficult to grow !!
Ours is doing well but the top growers are cherry tomatoes, raddish, mustard, spinach and kale. I also use the leaving from my chicken coop to fertilise around the veggies, adds nitrate to the soil and makes great compost.

Got a good system going now: kitchen scraps and feed got to chickens who produce eggs and poop, poop fertilised garden veg which we eat and scraps return to the start of the cycle.

Marsie27

I second what Kosmik says about cherry tomatoes. You get edible results within a few weeks, starting from seedlings, and it's great to be able to pick them when they are properly ripe and sun-ripened and straight to the plates (or my mouth...). Those watery, tasteless ones from the shops just don't compare. Mine get full morning sun, and afternoon shade, and are happy with that.

JC H

Ours is doing well but the top growers are cherry tomatoes, raddish, mustard, spinach and kale. I also use the leaving from my chicken coop to fertilise around the veggies, adds nitrate to the soil and makes great compost.

Got a good system going now: kitchen scraps and feed got to chickens who produce eggs and poop, poop fertilised garden veg which we eat and scraps return to the start of the cycle.
Wow, sounds like you have the perfect cycle! Impressive. I like the chicken idea, thinking I should get some. I have started planting and will soon be harvesting, spinach, tomatoes, chillies, broccolli, cabbage, brinjal, cucumber and mielies.

A colleague said that planting basil next to tomatoes is a natural way to keep the pests at bay.
I have peppadews, chillies, bell peppers, chives, coriander and curry leave growing. The peppers are growing and ripening, but the peppadews will take a little while longer and bear fruit all the way until winter.

JC H

Thats lovely to hear. I now have a freaking insect eating my brocolli leaves and green pepper!! Cant find the culprit, any idea to help get rid of this invisible pest?