Studying IT at UNISA

Gezza

Expert Member
Hi All,

This is probably a bit off topic and I apologize for that. I'm thinking about studying IT at UNISA next year. Just want to hear from you guys if anyone can recommend them actually? Hows their support etc. Don't want to waste my money.

Any comment would be appreciated!

PS...I chose UNISA because I work full time.:sick:

dinkd

they great.. as long as you put in the effort! i finished my bsc computer science and information technology management through them last year :) its definitely not a waste of money!

also working full time btw..

Gezza

Expert Member
Awesome thanks! I currently work as a support consultant at an internet applications company and will soon be moving into the developing team. I know basic HTML and CSS and am fully computer literate. It will just be better for me in the long run to have a diploma in my name.

In my second year of a BSc Computer Science & Information Technology Management and working full time. Haven't had any issues. The few times I’ve had questions, the lecturers responded on my emails within 2 hours.

Just make sure not to take on too much if you're working full time. I've found that 4 modules per semester works for me.

zamicro

Expert Member
Go for it. It is not difficult, but you will need to do your part. I also finished my degree last year. I like the fact that the subjects will now be semester modules and not year modules anymore.

Gezza

Expert Member
Thanks for the responses guys! I mainly want to have a diploma/degree in HTML/CSS/Web development for now. But more is probably better.

Do any of you have a brochure of some sort that explains the modules?

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Also a UNISA student and will say go for it.

In your first semester rather take it easy and do 3 modules, don't be brave. You can then push it to 4 the second semester but personally I would say only try 3. UNISA requires that you need to pass 5 modules a year to remain a student and while 1st level modules are easy, 2nd level require a lot more time and commitment.

Also as per other thread, consider doing rather your Certificate in Datametrics. This consists of 10 modules and you can do it in 2 yrs. Once you have complete the Certificate, UNISA allows you to use all the modules as credits towards a BSc / BCom. This way you get a qualification within 2yrs instead of waiting out your full 6yrs (UNISA is now even saying you should plan to study 7yrs).

Great advantage with the Certificate is you can chuck in NDP modules. This means you can do a couple of the BSc modules not part of the certificate but use them as credits towards your BSc / BCom.

(Oh, thats what I'm doing BTW. By end of this year I will have my certificate plus 5 extra modules which means I start my BSc next year with 15 modules to my credit, then I only need 15 more to get it).

Example: (S1 = Semester 1, S2 = Semester 2)

Year 1, you take 3 S1 + 3 S2 modules = 6 modules for 2011
Year 2, you take 3 S1 + 1 S2 modules = 4 modules for 2012 and you now have your certificate.

Now with 2012 S2, instead of wasting all your time on just one module, you then decide to do 2 NDP modules. Which means you will end up with

10 modules for your Certificate
2 NDP modules credited

Then in 2013, you apply for credits for your BSc/BCom and like magic you will start the year off with:

12 Modules for you BSc / BCom

That leaves you 18 modules left and you now have a NQF-5 Certification and the best part is it dose not cost you a single cent more. And trust me, after 2yrs you get gatvol and being able to show at least something really helps for the morale.

Now you only got another 3yrs left to do the remaining 18 modules and then you have your BSc / BCom.

Now for those already doing their BSc/BComs, you can use your credits towards a Certificate. UNISA use to encourage this practice in the past to keep students motivated. But there is only one issue here. The Certificate is a combination of 1st level & 2nd level modules and a BSc/BCom student will most likely only be able to get the correct credits in their 3yr of studies.

Last edited:

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Thanks for the responses guys! I mainly want to have a diploma/degree in HTML/CSS/Web development for now. But more is probably better.

Do any of you have a brochure of some sort that explains the modules?
UNISA sadly only offers a PHP course. Anyway HTML/CSS is mostly learn't on the job. I'm a PHP developer and can honestly say that spending R10K on a piece of paper to say I've got HTML Kung Fu is not going to really help me.

Also be patient little grass hopper, as most students say they want something within 6 mths to get a promotion. That is what is great with UNISA, employers respect the commitment and its seldom that you will not find a peer that had personally studied through UNISA (many post-graduates use UNISA for their Honors or Masters).

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
A lot to take in hehe. Thanks! Will have a nother read tomorrow morning :p.

Will be filling in my application tomorrow too. It all sounds great! Thanks again!
Great, just do get your student number first and then worry about your direction as you have 4mths to decide.

BTW, are you doing it online? Thats the best route.

Gezza

Expert Member
Great, just do get your student number first and then worry about your direction as you have 4mths to decide.

BTW, are you doing it online? Thats the best route.
I tried to apply online earlier but the form would not accept my postal address. :-(. will send them an email about it.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
I tried to apply online earlier but the form would not accept my postal address. :-(. will send them an email about it.
Email is a bit slow with UNISA. Can take up to 8weeks with student affairs.

Best is then to get all your documentation, certified copy of your senior certificate, of your ID, the originals and take it to your nearest UNISA campus. You will need an entire day to sort it out though.

Also UNISA do not accept cash anymore but you can pay via debit card or credit-card.

Gezza

Expert Member
Email is a bit slow with UNISA. Can take up to 8weeks with student affairs.

Best is then to get all your documentation, certified copy of your senior certificate, of your ID, the originals and take it to your nearest UNISA campus. You will need an entire day to sort it out though.

Also UNISA do not accept cash anymore but you can pay via debit card or credit-card.
Payment wont be a problem. If they can help me sort out my PO box issue then it should be a quick process probably...if the online application is at all quick? :p

wishblade

3rd year at UNISA this year - was supposed to complete last year as well, but I took on a couple modules too many and then changed jobs roughly a month before exams (very bad idea)!!!! Anyway, finishing those last few modules this year, and then I'm done... yay! Would definately recommend it, but...
... as mentioned in all the above posts - take it easy. You'll probably easily be able to rush through the first year modules, 2nd year modules are a bit rougher, and 3rd year: well, you may only have 8 modules to complete, but it takes as much time (if not longer) than all the 1st year modules together. So pace yourself correctly, and you'll have no problems.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Just tried the online site and no problems with the address. Just don't fill in the courier address, only the postal & physical. You will anyway have to fetch your material from the post office so if your work address is more reliable than your home, then rather use that.

Try it again as there where problems with their site this week (all of us handing in our assignments this week :)

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
3rd year at UNISA this year - was supposed to complete last year as well, but I took on a couple modules too many and then changed jobs roughly a month before exams (very bad idea)!!!! Anyway, finishing those last few modules this year, and then I'm done... yay! Would definately recommend it, but...
... as mentioned in all the above posts - take it easy. You'll probably easily be able to rush through the first year modules, 2nd year modules are a bit rougher, and 3rd year: well, you may only have 8 modules to complete, but it takes as much time (if not longer) than all the 1st year modules together. So pace yourself correctly, and you'll have no problems.
Its now 10 modules for all new graduates :(

8 - 1st level
12 - 2nd level
10 - 3rd level

Gezza

Expert Member
Just tried the online site and no problems with the address. Just don't fill in the courier address, only the postal & physical. You will anyway have to fetch your material from the post office so if your work address is more reliable than your home, then rather use that.

Try it again as there where problems with their site this week (all of us handing in our assignments this week :)
Thanks man. Will try again tomorrow though. did have my job as the courier address. will leave it out.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Thanks man. Will try again tomorrow though. did have my job as the courier address. will leave it out.
Never had anything couriered and you can always update your details once you get your student number from the student portal myunisa

krepunk

My 4th (and hopefully final) year studying my BSc :) I'm doing 5 3rd level modules this year which are pretty difficult, but a good challenge :) Also I left 4 first level modules for this year too...plus I just changed jobs...like a month before exams :erm: