Studying IT at UNISA

Gezza

Expert Member
One more question...how much does the course cost? their sales info department are quite slow with responding to emails.

wishblade

Its now 10 modules for all new graduates :(

8 - 1st level
12 - 2nd level
10 - 3rd level
Thats rough! Mine went something like:
14 - 1st level
8 - 2nd level
8 - 3rd level

Which is why I also added in the additional 2 modules for Non-degree purposes though. Which I incorrectly did before completing the degree modules. Anyway, bad descisions are now over hopefully... :D

evilsee

@ cbrunsdonza I dont fully understand the reason for doing the datametrics certificate, I do understand that the modules count towards the degree, is the only reason because you gain a certificate after 2 years of studying? Could you elaborate a bit more please?

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
@ cbrunsdonza I dont fully understand the reason for doing the datametrics certificate, I do understand that the modules count towards the degree, is the only reason because you gain a certificate after 2 years of studying? Could you elaborate a bit more please?
Yes

Just remember that with UNISA the average degree now takes 7yrs to complete and UNISA warns prospective students that achieving in less than 5yrs is very hard for most students. So unless you are studying full time, the certificate is the way to go as you want some sort of motivation to keep going. 5-7yrs is a long time.

Just remember that nobody cares if you've done 1 module or 29 modules with UNISA or any other University. Until you get your BSc it means nothing and that is why I push the certificate because you at least have something to show.

Last edited:

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
R920 per module, I think.
Yup, and should be R1K next year.

Some 1st level modules include all the courseware but for the rest budget on R500 per module for your prescribed books. Don't buy them till Dec/Jan either. Sometimes you can pick them up 2nd hand for cheap, else shop around. I can show you where to get.

This year I'm doing 7 modules and with books its costing R7500. I bought all except one book second hand but I sold that already so I've taken its value of that amount (R500). Buying second hand has saved me R1K this year and I can sell 3 of the books (the 1 is outdated already) for about R600. I also saved R1K on software (Delphi) by using OpenSource (Lazarus) - actually doing that module tonight.

evilsee

No I wont be studying full time, however like you Im currently employed as a developer ( I wonder if that will help in any way) and Ive already done a 3 year NDIT diploma at tech, OK it was like 10 years ago, but still it must count in someway. Actually to be honest the only thing I really remember is Boyce-codd normal form and how friggen dumb some of our lectures were. It was a real waste of time, if only I could have afforded the university fees at the time, anyway, water under the bridge.

Where did you find the information about the degree taking on average 7 years?

So the way I see it is after 2 years you will have done 12 modules, which is 6 per year (on average) you could have done the same by starting the ComSci degree and you would be in the same position. Ok fair enough, I think Ill most likely just start with the degree next year, seems like I missed registration for the second semester for this year.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
I was reading up on a couple of UNISA threads on other forums where a lot of new students have been advised that they will be studying for 7yrs. UNISA struggles with a high dropout rate (heck, I dropped out in 2004) and are trying to convince students to take it easy.

With the required passing of 5 modules per year to remain a student, that would normally come down to 6yrs but in some cases, and it seems more the norm with current matrics (200x), they need to take an extra 1 or two modules as pre-requisites (ie maths 011, computer literacy, etc). These modules can cause a student to study an extra year.

Also many students take a 1yr break after 3-4yrs (your only allowed this once) so that is also considered part of your 7yrs.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
... Ok fair enough, I think Ill most likely just start with the degree next year, seems like I missed registration for the second semester for this year.
Have you got a UNISA student number yet? If not, you only got a few weeks left to get it if you want to study next year.

evilsee

I was about to register last night, then I noticed the Btech degrees (BTINF) and thought that might be an option, however there was page that said it was being phased out, but the odd thing is you can still apply for it online , so I have email the School Of Computing to ask for some help and advice.

It would be great if I could do the btech and have some of the modules count towards a Bsc, then like you , I would also get something after 2 years

fran13

I finished my BSc degree last year.
I also did a Diploma in development before I started my BSc and it helped a lot - especially in the beginning with the easier subjects and that'll give you more time to spend on the more difficult ones.
The one big thing that you'll need to keep in mind is that UNISA are huge. So you can't email the lecturer the night before the exam and expect him to reply - like some other students, and then complain afterwards.
There's also a forum available (http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/ ) for the computer science pupils. There you'll find plenty of help.(If not under the current year, then in the archive of previous years)
The other thing that's required - LOADS of self discipline!

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
I was about to register last night, then I noticed the Btech degrees (BTINF) and thought that might be an option, however there was page that said it was being phased out, but the odd thing is you can still apply for it online , so I have email the School Of Computing to ask for some help and advice.

It would be great if I could do the btech and have some of the modules count towards a Bsc, then like you , I would also get something after 2 years
I also looked into the BTech but its only a diploma and requires a Diploma in Information Technology for admission. The BSc for me is the better of the two as I see no value for myself in only achieving low level diplomas & certificates.

Just remember that one high level qualification is worth more than a basket of lower level ones. Once you get a BSc, nobody cares if you got 3 diplomas. And the same applies for Hons & Masters.

evilsee

I also looked into the BTech but its only a diploma and requires a Diploma in Information Technology for admission. The BSc for me is the better of the two as I see no value for myself in only achieving low level diplomas & certificates.

Just remember that one high level qualification is worth more than a basket of lower level ones. Once you get a BSc, nobody cares if you got 3 diplomas. And the same applies for Hons & Masters.
I agree with what you said about BSc out weighing a Btech, however when you look at job ads that list BSc as a requirement you will general find a Btech mentioned as well, so its certainly applicable for jobs in South Africa at least.

I have a national diploma in IT already and if by chance I can do some BSc modules while doing a Btech then it may just work out to be beneficial to do both, Ill first wait to hear back from Unisa concerning this.

One other thing that needs to be looked at it is the possibility of doing a bridging course from Btech to an Honours degree, while I doubt this would be possible for a BSc it may well be applicable for say a BCom IS or similar.

Having said all that I am leaning more towards the BSc, some of the modules look interesting and I feel somewhat cheated having not attended a university all those year ago because of my financial situation at the time.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
I agree with what you said about BSc out weighing a Btech, however when you look at job ads that list BSc as a requirement you will general find a Btech mentioned as well, so its certainly applicable for jobs in South Africa at least.

I have a national diploma in IT already and if by chance I can do some BSc modules while doing a Btech then it may just work out to be beneficial to do both, Ill first wait to hear back from Unisa concerning this.

One other thing that needs to be looked at it is the possibility of doing a bridging course from Btech to an Honours degree, while I doubt this would be possible for a BSc it may well be applicable for say a BCom IS or similar.
I understand what your getting to here and I do agree that BTech is considered just as employable as BSc. All your prospective employer wants is a degree or equal diploma.

Having said all that I am leaning more towards the BSc, some of the modules look interesting and I feel somewhat cheated having not attended a university all those year ago because of my financial situation at the time.
I'm 35 and also got sob stories of missed opportunities due to finances but now I'm throwing everything in now that I've got the opportunity. If I don't, I will regret it. And for my age and intended career path, the BSc is the better route.

Snotdronk

Hi Guys
I know its coming up on 2012 and this thread was for 2011 but i would like to ask if anyone can help me decipher UNISA's website
Below are the options I am interested in either doing BScC 98906 or BScI 98907 but not really sure of the differences between the two

Baccalaureus Technologiae: Information Technology BTINF
Bachelor of Science in Computing 98906
Bachelor of Science in Informatics 98907
Diploma in Information Technology 98806

I cant seem to find any course descriptions on UNISA's website , also need to confirm how many modules each degree is over how many years could anyone help with this

@ CDRundonza I cant seem to find the Datametrics course that you mentioned in the above posts do you have any more info on this option or similar thanks

Any input is much appreciated

Regards

The_Unnamed

WUD FTW
Hi Guys
I know its coming up on 2012 and this thread was for 2011 but i would like to ask if anyone can help me decipher UNISA's website
Below are the options I am interested in either doing BScC 98906 or BScI 98907 but not really sure of the differences between the two

Baccalaureus Technologiae: Information Technology BTINF
Bachelor of Science in Computing 98906
Bachelor of Science in Informatics 98907
Diploma in Information Technology 98806

I cant seem to find any course descriptions on UNISA's website , also need to confirm how many modules each degree is over how many years could anyone help with this

@ CDRundonza I cant seem to find the Datametrics course that you mentioned in the above posts do you have any more info on this option or similar thanks

Any input is much appreciated

Regards
I am having problems finding any more info on the Computing and Infomatic degrees also. They have not replied to my email i sent 2 weeks ago either :-/.

Dm7

Not sure exactly how this works, but the older degree codes (e.g. a BSc degree, code 02089) has an exit level of NQF 6, but the new ones (e.g. code 98801) is NQF level 7. Same amount of modules and credits (360), but the "new" degrees are more difficult in terms of module requirements, e.g. only 8 1st year modules allowed as opposed to 14 and 10 3rd year level modules required.

I thought NQF 7 was honours level?

froot

Honorary Master
I am having problems finding any more info on the Computing and Infomatic degrees also. They have not replied to my email i sent 2 weeks ago either :-/.
I am studying BSc Information Science and the code is now 98907.
Computing should be the normal Computer Science degree.

As to modules, look for the 98801 degree and look for the normal Computer Science and Information Science streams.
The basic differences are that CS is pure CS with Maths, while IS is the CS minus some of the hardcore CS modules (ie graphics programming), but with accounting, business management and so forth.

Edit: the 98907 modules are identical to the modules (that I can see at least) I have under the 98801-IS, except that some modules are now electives. To compensate, three new modules have been added.

Last edited: