Super Rugby 2019

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Discipline indiscretions reversed now. Sharks have this as long as they keep it clean because they're so much moreover effective with ball in hand.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
It's too early to call it, but the Bulls are looking really good. Apart from that blip in Beunos Ares, they have looked amazing. The signings of Vermeulen and Brits look to be inspired. For too long they have wallowed in the Super Rugby doldrums so it's great to see them winning again (especially away from home). The true test will be when they tour but assuming their squad stays fit and relatively injury free, they have every reason to be confident of some good results.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Inb4:

"Well done to the Breezer's no.24, Jaco Peyeper, for winning the game!"

Heh heh heh :p

As for the game:
A win is a win, I guess. BUT, they looked "a lot" better this time. When's Rooies coming back?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Without Whiteley the Lions are suffering from serious memory problems. They're forgetting 1. Everything they've learned about rugby in past three years, and 2. To play as a team.

Bulls are back, it seems.
I thought the bulls were back last season after winning their 1st 3 games, then they toured NZ and lost everything else.

It's still early days.

Arzy

Honorary Master
Bit miffed, seem to be getting winning team picks right more often than not but margins are all over the place.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
There is a small chance that the Sunwolves may pack in more continuity,

JRFU announce that with his trial apparently put on hold Amanaki Lelei Mafi has been called up to Japan's extended #RugbyWorldCup training squad.
Amanaki is also called up into the Japan RWC extended training squad. He will need game time, I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed around round 5 or 6. Foreigners or not, 10 players in the starting lineup last weekend are eligible to represent Japan.

This is probably the most prepared with players squad the Sunwolves and the JRFU ever had in their rugby history.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Everyone could still play each other once even in the current format.

It's somewhat ridiculous that more than half the teams qualify for the finals in this competition as it is.

Everyone could play everyone by getting rid of the double round derbies (there's the Currie Cup already), with no automatic qualification based on conference, but rather on log points as it should be.

The top 2 are automatic semi finalists, with 3-6 on the log effectively having a "quarter final" to see who goes on to face number 1 and 2.
People who want the format to change back don't generally account for a large part of why the format has changed to what it is now. They're having to balance the competitive elements of the tournament with financial viability and viewership. If you end up having 2/3rds of the teams out of the competition, especially if they're concentrated in Oz/SA, you stand a good chance of losing a huge chunk of your viewership with many games still to be played.

netstrider

People who want the format to change back don't generally account for a large part of why the format has changed to what it is now. They're having to balance the competitive elements of the tournament with financial viability and viewership. If you end up having 2/3rds of the teams out of the competition, especially if they're concentrated in Oz/SA, you stand a good chance of losing a huge chunk of your viewership with many games still to be played.
The format change is one part only, I am not saying the conferences could not stay (to suit the Aussies because they wanted it in the first place).

What I am suggesting is a sane solution to the current madness because clearly the viewers are not appreciating the current model otherwise we would not be talking about the calamity SR currently faces. Once more viewers return and greater numbers through the gates then perhaps there will be more money for some key signatures in the teams as well. Seems like a win-win to me and at the same time no team needs to feel hard done by because the Brumbies have accumulated 49 points and are 3rd whilst the Highlanders have 59 points and are fourth.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
The format change is one part only, I am not saying the conferences could not stay (to suit the Aussies because they wanted it in the first place).

What I am suggesting is a sane solution to the current madness because clearly the viewers are not appreciating the current model otherwise we would not be talking about the calamity SR currently faces. Once more viewers return and greater numbers through the gates then perhaps there will be more money for some key signatures in the teams as well. Seems like a win-win to me and at the same time no team needs to feel hard done by because the Brumbies have accumulated 49 points and are 3rd whilst the Highlanders have 59 points and are fourth.
Maybe. I don't necessarily disagree with your proposal, but I do tend to think people are overstating the 'calamity' part. It's a kind of recency bias whereby bad stuff that occurs now tends to overshadow how things have always been.

There's still some absolutely cracking rugby being played, weekend in and weekend out. Occasional bad reffing isn't new, and form dipping isn't, either.