Supersonic extends Black Friday deals

Cactus

Pretty much best internet you can get expect for fibre.
Remember Telkom also used to have no FUP on their original uncapped LTE.

Mtn will at some point go the same route as Telkom or it will become Rain 2.0

Crumbl0x

Remember Telkom also used to have no FUP on their original uncapped LTE.

Mtn will at some point go the same route as Telkom or it will become Rain 2.0
Nah, maybe a slight restriction but definitely not rain 2.0, you can't even begin to compare their infrastructure, rain prioritises Vodacom instead of their own customers, and this deal is not available forever and will only last for 24 months compared to rain and Telkom's constant offering, finally the ICASA spectrum auction is going to ease this strain and even provide cheaper rates on existing packages.
Personally, I would've felt better if it was just a capped 1 or 2TB month-to-month contract though, definitely.

Crumbl0x

Darn, so according to this - https://mybroadband.co.za/news/industrynews/384508-excellent-news-about-r199-fixed-lte-service.html - the deals were made into permanent products, that doesn't bode well with me entirely since I was more at ease with the fact that oversubscribing might not have been a issue given the limited sign up time, but oh well. I think they're preparing for the spectrum auction levering that load and keeping us at the fixed price while future subscribers might get better deals :p

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Darn, so according to this - https://mybroadband.co.za/news/industrynews/384508-excellent-news-about-r199-fixed-lte-service.html - the deals were made into permanent products, that doesn't bode well with me entirely since I was more at ease with the fact that oversubscribing might not have been a issue given the limited sign up time, but oh well. I think they're preparing for the spectrum auction levering that load and keeping us at the fixed price while future subscribers might get better deals :p
It's not like RAIN. It's not R250. It's R999. And MTN’s infrastructure is decades ahead.

Cactus

It's not like RAIN. It's not R250. It's R999. And MTN’s infrastructure is decades ahead.
Telkom said the same thing years ago with their original uncapped and now it has a 300GB FUP :laugh:

Even if MTN's infrastructure is years ahead you will probably always end up one of two ways, FUP or Rain. Someone in your neighbourhood is going to grab this deal and flatline it. It's what hogs did originally on Telkom.

Crumbl0x

Telkom said the same thing years ago with their original uncapped and now it has a 300GB FUP

Even if MTN's infrastructure is years ahead you will probably always end up one of two ways, FUP or Rain. Someone in your neighbourhood is going to grab this deal and flatline it. It's what hogs did originally on Telkom.
Yeah, and also correct me if I'm wrong, but the Telkom deals didn't have an expiry so to speak, one just mustn't cancel their contract to keep it, then eventually the turmoil started.

Replying above as well, I did bring up the same reasons MTN can't become the next rain especially with the higher barrier of entry, but we'll most likely see a FUP of some kind in the next few months

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Telkom said the same thing years ago with their original uncapped and now it has a 300GB FUP :laugh:

Then get fibre.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
That's my point. Instead of complaining. He must get the next best thing.
I had LTE until I got Fibre last month.
I have kept my LTE router and suggest anyone getting fibre does the same.
I've had two outages on my super duper 200mbps fibre connection in the past two months. One lasted over 48 hours, the other just over 5 days.
Not sure about you, but I can't work like that.
LTE saved my skin both times.
Anyway, that aside, I've had Fibre in the ground outside my house since before Covid was a thing. Didn't help one bit without light being pushed into it.

Last edited:

Crumbl0x

I had LTE until I got Fibre last month.
I have kept my LTE router and suggest anyone getting fibre does the same.
I've had two outings on my super duper 200mbps fibre connection in the past two months. One lasted over 48 hours, the other just over 5 days.
Not sure about you, but I can't work like that.
LTE saved my skin both times.
Anyway, that aside, I've had Fibre in the ground outside my house since before Covid was a thing. Didn't help one bit without light being pushed into it.
yeah that's one thing I'm worried about, from my readings here on the official support threads, fibre seems to have a nasty habit of being down a lot and causing wierd problems, especially on Octotel and Frogfoot. LTE on the other hand, for me at least who has only been on ADSL beforehand with numerous outages, has never gone down once on its own accord, and is usually stemming from unrelated technical issues.

The thought of maybe requiring a backup for these frequent episodes saddens me, so I can only hold thumbs that if Openserve rolls out here in the future, that the infrastructure gets more stable and / or affording a backup doesn't hurt the wallet too much