Switching from Telkom (Openserve) to Cool Ideas (Openserve)

RazorCPT

Good Afternoon All,

Hoping someone can help me out.

I need to switch an Openserve (and Telkom ISP account) to Openserve Cool Ideas. Currently have a 20/20 and would like to also increase the speed to 100/50.

I have read a lot of comments regarding Telkom being a nightmare when it comes to dropping their ISP account and switching to another.

Has anyone done this process recently and have any feedback/advice? I would like to do this with as little downtime as possible so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
You need to cancel your Telkom service completely, there is no way to migrate the line to a 3rd party ISP directly. Once you get a cancellation date from Telkom, apply with us and let the connect department know what that date is, we then apply for a new service to be installed, Openserve will then Swap the ONT and you will be on our network. Migrating from there to another ISP is quite easy once you've been through all that :)

RazorCPT

@PBCool Thanks for the feedback! So we cant really do anything until the service has been cancelled? So in other words, regardless of what I do there will be downtime?

How long does Openserve take to swop the ONT (realistically) and once that is done, how long does the Cool Ideas portion take?

Also, when you say cancel the Telkom service completely, you only talking about the ISP data portion right, or do you mean the Openserve fibre as well?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
You cancel the service completely, they are pretty quick to replace it pans once done you can get online immediately with one of our accounts.

wingnut771

Executive Member
Regarding the land line number, what happens to the number because they want to keep it?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Then you need to either keep the copper line or port the number over to VoIP

wingnut771

Executive Member
Reading back there the english is bad.

They only have fibre now, no copper, they still using their original home phone number and they want to keep it.

What happens with the phone number when they cancel Telkom. How do they port it to you?

Reactions: sly

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Reading back there the english is bad.

They only have fibre now, no copper, they still using their original home phone number and they want to keep it.

What happens with the phone number when they cancel Telkom. How do they port it to you?
You would have to port it via the normal process, the difficulty there is I would recommend doing this before cancelling the fibre service to avoid any chance of losing the number. Then once ported cancel and apply etc.

wingnut771

Executive Member
You would have to port it via the normal process, the difficulty there is I would recommend doing this before cancelling the fibre service to avoid any chance of losing the number. Then once ported cancel and apply etc.
What is the normal process to port a number?

cobusv

you would submit it to cool ideas to port your number across to them