Switchtel VOIP on Huawei B315 Router using Rain LTE

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
So after months of no telkom line my folks got Rain LTE and eventually ported the number to Switchtel. I entered the setting in the router and connected an analog phone to the route, I can dial out just fine but incoming calls does not work.

By the sound of it if you let it ring long enough it goes to voicemail that sound suspiciously close to the old Telkom voicemail. How can I check if the number has been successfully ported? How long does this normally take?

Here are the setting, please let me know if I have anything wrong.

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png

I deleted these entries but had them like this at a time with the Firewall off - no difference.
7.png

Any help will be appreciated.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I think I found the problem. Buddy of mine has been on Switchtel for some time now, guess what the porting lookup has to say about his number :
buddy.gif

Yet when I look up the number for my oldfolks :
folks.gif

^^^There's yer problem. I'll give it a day or two to get ported/whatnot

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
ou kay... seeing as this is just me replying to myself. The porting happened today.
1537393080058.png

Now this works on all networks but Telkom at the moment but that will hopefully change soon as they update their routing rules.
Managed a successful Vodacom to My-Folks-On-Switch-over-Rain call earlier with their old land line phone ringing.

J_Smith

So after months of no telkom line my folks got Rain LTE and eventually ported the number to Switchtel. I entered the setting in the router and connected an analog phone to the route, I can dial out just fine but incoming calls does not work.

By the sound of it if you let it ring long enough it goes to voicemail that sound suspiciously close to the old Telkom voicemail. How can I check if the number has been successfully ported? How long does this normally take?

Here are the setting, please let me know if I have anything wrong.

View attachment 557127 View attachment 557129 View attachment 557131 View attachment 557133 View attachment 557135 View attachment 557137

I deleted these entries but had them like this at a time with the Firewall off - no difference.
View attachment 557139

Any help will be appreciated.
Hi Rouxenator,

I am having the same issue as you. Set up the B315 using SIP service from Vox Telecoms. My settings are nearly identical to yours. I can make outgoing calls using the the old analogue phone that's plugged into the router, but the phone doesn't ring for incoming calls. Any ideas what I can do here?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Wait.

Took 2 days for Switch to successfully get the number from Telkom, been working like a dream every since. Just keep calling them every day to check on the status of the port.

You can check the status of your number port on the porting website I referenced.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ive tried and voip on rain Lte doesn’t work well.
It works perfectly. If it does not work there is a setup issue or if you have like really poor speeds with packet loss voice quality will be poor.

feo

Honorary Master
What do guys suggest to get the best quality audio on Switchtel?

I'm gonna use my SIP details on both a Gigaset A540IP at home and also the Zoiper app on my iPhone.

Which codecs do I choose?

Is there a better VOIP app for iPhone?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
The line quality my folks have is very good with the settings I posted above. They are using an el-cheapo corded desktop phone from Game plugged into the B315 that does the VOIP stuff.

powermzii

Expert Member
We are using G.729a on a Yealink through Telkom and the quality is good, better than normal copper lines

The settings posted above by @Rouxenator are far more detailed and advanced than we have (B618-65d router) - i just plugged in the phone and it got the settings from the Switchtel dashboard

feo

Honorary Master
G711 would give the best quality, right?

I'm on fibre so I don't really care for trying to save bandwidth.