Telkom ADSL issues - what can I do

migraineboy

I've been having ongoing issues with my line (over 2 months), the ADSL disconnects intermittently. I logged numerous calls with Telkom. Every time the call is closed with the answer that the line runs clean from their side. I asked them to send a technician to my house. Eventually one arrived on Saturday past. He did some troubleshooting and replaced one cable that seemed to have some interference on it (there was a voltage reading). When he left, the ADSL was working and I had voice. During the course the Sunday, our voice line went dead. Thereafter, the internet speeds started dropping until eventually we had no connectivity and the ADSL wasn't connecting at all. I managed to get him back here this (Monday) morning. Unfortunately I wasn't around to watch him troubleshoot the issue. However, when I arrived back home, the ADSL and voice was back up. As I'm writing this, I've again had intermittent connectivity and reset the router about 30 minutes ago.
So my router stats are:

Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps) 8192 /1020
SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 16.2 /8.7
Attenuation Down/Up(dB) 44.011 18.5
Power Down/Up(dBm) 0.0 / 11.3
CRC Down/Up 171/ 65484 <-- this bounces around
FEC Down/Up 52733/0 <-- this bounces around
HEC Down/Up 1312/ 0
System Up Time 0:26:41
DSL Up Time 0:25:35

I think the CRC and FEC are far too high.

I would appreciate any advice as to next steps.

PS I've changed ADSL routers, filters, etc.

migraineboy

I can't find an explicit setting for modulation but my current setting is ADSL 2+, Operation mode - G.dmt.bisplus

migraineboy

I've configured to auto. It's been up for 30 minutes. Will monitor and feed back.

migraineboy

I'm still getting disconnects. Had a call from Telkom. Apparently a technician is coming today. Let's see what happens.

migraineboy

Still no Telkom. Still disconnects. Will continue to engage Telkom to get a technician out.

migraineboy

So another Telkom technician came this past Saturday. They seem to like weekends. This technician took a more technological approach. He ran some tests on the line. He eventually concluded that the one of the phones on the lines caused it to be flaky. After showing me the test with the phone connected and then disconnected, the line ran clear. I was at pains to explain to him that the problem is intermittent and it is virtually impossible for me to show him when the problem was occurring. Anyway, I told him I'll monitor and leave the 'faulty' phone disconnected.

My problem returned with the link disconnecting as before. This has now happened numerous times since the technician was here. I'll continue to log calls. Hopefully we're getting closer to the actual problem.