Telkom copper theft and ADSL downtime

Have you been a victim of telephone copper line theft?

• Yes

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Not yet

Votes: 43 76.8%

• Total voters

noemfie

* Where cables are repeatedly stolen, they are no longer replaced.
* Cables are buried where possible;
* Wireless technologies are used to restore services where possible; and
* In high risk areas, additional security services are used to safeguard our cable infrastructure.
How about replacing it with Fibre FFS !! , surely there must be some way to link the current exchanges with fibe without having to completely repalce the box

Last edited:

DOOMIE61

They can't do that as that would mean spending money and upgrading existing equipment,

noemfie

They can't do that as that would mean spending money and upgrading existing equipment,

As opposed to costing our economy R50 bilion a year ? , somebody at goverment level needs to catch a wake up ..(sigh) . I was without internet for almost a month due to cable theft , I would have waited 3 months if I knew the cable would be replaced with fibre and I never have to worry about some a - hole stealing the cable again . I'm just waiting for the next downtime , its bound to happen again and again .

drukkie

Expert Member
hahah i just logged a fault last week when my cable was stolen....Line went down at about 2:00AM...when i drove by the place where they normally steal it there was a telkom van already.

Exact extract from my fault logged....

Hi there,
Please log me a fault....my line is down but there is already a technician on site....he is either fixing it or stealing it....please advise?

hahaha

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
RSSS is owned by Roy Moodly - A close friend of our dear president Zuma. He's as corrupt as they come and in a working democracy our president would not be friends with him. It does not take a genius to connect the dots in this case.

TIA TIA TIA TIA TIA...

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
hahah i just logged a fault last week when my cable was stolen....Line went down at about 2:00AM...when i drove by the place where they normally steal it there was a telkom van already.

Exact extract from my fault logged....

Hi there,
Please log me a fault....my line is down but there is already a technician on site....he is either fixing it or stealing it....please advise?

hahaha

Lol, I was about to say the same thing. Why didn't you stop and ask the technician what he was doing? Then again, that would probably be dangerous, since he might shoot at you.

jmak

How about replacing it with Fibre FFS !! , surely there must be some way to link the current exchanges with fibe without having to completely repalce the box

Fibre are also stolen these days so it is no longer a real alternative.

drukkie

Expert Member
Ya these days you go to jail for cable theft...they could be armed...

TJ99

Honorary Master

Yes, by retards mistaking it for copper cable.

I love this "strategy":
Where cables are repeatedly stolen, they are no longer replaced.
So their solution to a problem is, (I'm paraphrasing here) to do jack ****.

Mmm.. I think they've been employing that strategy for a while...

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
Yes, by retards mistaking it for copper cable.

I love this "strategy":
So their solution to a problem is, (I'm paraphrasing here) to do jack ****.

Mmm.. I think they've been employing that strategy for a while...

+1

Education system has gone to the dogs. Even thieves don't know what they're doing.

george_vg

Whatever happened to the proposal to declare copper as a precious metal? Considering the losses to the economy it can be considered VERY precious. But I suspect nothing will happen as everyone seems to have budgeted for theft...so if the little pie chart does not turn red then all is business as usual $%^$^%! Read it was around 16 mil+ per month...so there, just adjust that little chart and let's go for a beer!

deweyzeph

Executive Member

Once there is enough fibre in the ground thieves will wisen up pretty soon that their stolen fibre is useless and worthless.

What arrogance of Telkom to assume that a wireless alternative is good enough to replace copper.

hughrobbie

telkom ♥ copper...they don't know that people wont really buy 2nd hand fibre ;P oh well have to cut my message short cause i don't want to get disconnected due to copper theft lol:D