Telkom denies flat ADSL access fee discussions

It would definately be the best thing to happen to the broadband industry. It would only hurt ISP's which are not limit the speed of their accounts.

What, has the world gone mad?

This is Telkom we are dealing with here.

Users would then get the maximum speed their line is capable of (hence the highest possible sync speed) for a flat fee.

Again this is very distressing, I'll pay the same as someone who gets 10 meg but I'll get 2 meg, does that seem somewhat unfair?

What, has the world gone mad?

This is Telkom we are dealing with here.

Again this is very distressing, I'll pay the same as someone who gets 10 meg but I'll get 2 meg, does that seem somewhat unfair?

There is another problem in this country is selfish shytes, whose fault is it that you live in shytehole too far from the exchange.

There is another problem in this country is selfish shytes, whose fault is it that you live in shytehole too far from the exchange.

Not really - depending on the demand, that could be a good reason for Telkom to actually invest in more DSLAM's closer to the area so that people can get better speeds. But then again, we have to keep in mind that we are talking about Telkom and we know how much they care....

I don't think that it is 100% right. I like the idea that you would get the highest rate, but I don't think it is fair that people who live miles away from an exchange pay the same amount as someone who lives next door to it.

What Telkom could do, is charge per distance from exchange. Eg: if you live within 1km of the exchange you pay R413, should you wish to have the fastest line speed otherwise previous pricing applies, if you live between 1 and 3km away, you pay R300, otherwise previous pricing applies, and so on. basically the further away you live, the less you pay.

Somehow my line is rock solid at 7557kbps sync with a 50+ attenuation and 20+SNR... yet I live 4km(driving distance) from the exhange so it would be very interesting to find out how other lines are for people closer to the SSW exchange.

The flat fee for ADSL Access works in most other parts of the world from what I remember...

We were an oddity that had different pricing structures for different speeds.

The flat fee for ADSL Access works in most other parts of the world from what I remember...

We were an oddity that had different pricing structures for different speeds.

Why would anyone go for anything less than the max speed then?

Knowing Telkom, they will charge a single flat fee no matter what speed you want,
the trouble will be that the fee will be the current 4mbps line rental fee, even if you're on 384k...

Don't you people know that when higher speed rips more electrons from the cable?

What Telkom could do, is charge per distance from exchange. Eg: if you live within 1km of the exchange you pay R413, should you wish to have the fastest line speed otherwise previous pricing applies, if you live between 1 and 3km away, you pay R300, otherwise previous pricing applies, and so on. basically the further away you live, the less you pay.

Not a bad idea but actually you should pay more as the distance increases because of the increased maintenance costs for the greater line length and associated infrastructure.

Good idea I think, but sadly I doubt Telkom's infrastructure could handle it. DSLAMs and exchanges will get congested so quickly in many areas that internet access will come to a crawl. Telkom will simply shrug their shoulders and say that we pay a fixed rate for best effort, and currently best effort in your area means 56kbps, sorry. No, with Telkom involved I only see a disaster waiting to happen.

I dont see this is a viable and realistic option...
If a person can only afford 384 DSL at the moment, and the new "fixed fee" is somewhere between the current 1 and 4 meg pricing, they could potentially lose a whole lot of clients that can no longer afford the service. Even from a business point of view, I dont see the benefit of a draconian one price fits all system.

I don't think you guys get it. The flat fee will work in the same way that a phone line does. You will pay the premium to your ISP for the uncapped rate - this is where the majority cost will come from. This way the market will be able to be liberalised even further.

This is the way ADSL works in the rest of the world... But it doesn't make sense to do it when we are still forced to pay a line rental fee as well. It should be either or.

Isn't this what's happening now? People getting 4Mbps is paying the same as people getting 10Mbps??

Back