Telkom fixed line monopoly won't be protected

burn

Expert Member
Government is not worried. LLU will be irrelevant by the time ICASA makes any decisions.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
The point is that it doesn't really need to be protected, it just is, because its too big to build anything from scratch.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Will the DoC say the same if Telkom post a loss in this financial period and then embark on a massive retrenchment campaign to cut costs at the expense of service delivery and network maintenance? This while the Prez is trying to create jobs and while we all want better quality of service from Telkom.

justing

This is just a lot of hot air from DoC, when and not if Telkom land in hot water, they will be the 1st to Telkom's aid.

Johand

Expert Member
In these findings, ICASA said that from the middle of 2012 it would conduct a regulatory impact assessment (RIA) of the cost and benefits of the various LLU models.

They only start in the middle of 2012. Of course when they finish is another matter.

Minister of Communications, Dina Pule, said that they are wary to address the issues around Telkom and its monopoly until they receive the outcome of the RIA from ICASA.

They won't need to protect the monopoly because by that time it will be irrelevant.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
So they are only going to start thinking about the different LLU models in mid 2012? I thought LLU was supposed to be done and dusted by November 2011? From their comment it seems like they haven't even started planning anything. All I see is them planning to plan.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Yes, and based on all the previous promises made by the DoC we should totally just believe you? :wtf:

Wag

Expert Member
No that's not true.
They're planning to plan to plan to plan to have a meeting. Someday.

...and they will see it as a challenge and then try to get all the roll players for a lagotla and then we are in 2013, om van te kots

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
The way I see our government operating thus far they will wait it out and milk it for all its worth until somebody comes along with something better that out competes it and then they'll create a law so that they can get a 50% stake in that. Then they'll raise the price of the service 300% over a 5 year period and we'll be right back where we started.

Business people with political power... It stinks.

You might say: "They are already rich. They wont abuse power to get richer.", but the truth is... They will.

BGE

Expert Member
Blah blah fishpaste... I've renamed ICASA... DCASA... they aren't independent and are driven by politicians with their fingers in the cookie jar!

Mouse

Expert Member
I thought it was 39%..? Not sure why. Goes to show how little I know :eek:

No I think it IS 39%
And that is still quite a significant part of the profits, which is why I expect nothing to change for the better :(

grok

Honorary Master
In her budget speech before Parliament in 2007, the late Communications minister Dr Ivy Matsepe-Casaburri announced a policy directive that the local loop unbundling be completed by 1 November 2011.
Critics said that the four-year period to unbundle the local loop would effectively extend Telkom's monopoly, giving it at least another four years to further entrench its market dominance.
She accuses the media of misinterpreting the local loop unbundling process, saying that the process can take between eight and 15 years in most countries and she has set an ambitious target.

In hindsight it seems her critics were right, Telkom had another 4 years of protection and we're no closer to LLU than when she promised it all those years ago.
No wonder nobody believes the DoC anymore ..