Telkom fixed-line numbers plummet

system32

Expert Member
Charging R200 per month is going to discourage subscriptions.
And as the subscribers drop, the remaining will need to pay more to support the cost structure.

Louis72

With these figures does it include Fibre lines aswell? Or only traditional copper POTS and ADSL?

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Charging R200 per month is going to discourage subscriptions.
And as the subscribers drop, the remaining will need to pay more to support the cost structure.
Exactly... and now with fibre (Telkom line rental free)... it will drop like a rock!

Louis72

Exactly... and now with fibre (Telkom line rental free)... it will drop like a rock!
But taking a fibre package with them you dont pay line rental anymore only the speed and data that you choose. Even if your voice line is over Fibre you dont pay a line rental anymore only the calls you make.

mikkelz_za

I can't wait for my fixed-line number to add to the decline. Hurry up fibre!

McT

The Humble Scot!
Me to add to the decline in numbers in the near future. For reasons unknown, the voice line causes havoc with internet. Disconnected the voice line months back. Honestly we don't use it anymore. When FTTH is switched on, Telkom will be cancelled in its entirety. The end of an era.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Not surprised when they refuse to fix lines (or are just too incompetent to repair them).
People cancelling left right and center.

pedruid

Expert Member
Not surprised as they took 4 weeks to transfer my line 3 km on the same exchange.

AlvinG

the monthly line rental fee is just ridiculuous when in comparison you can get a cellphone with talktime, sms and data for about R50 cheaper a month.
Telkom holds the monopoly with ADSL, and nobody else are allowed to install this service without a Telkom fixed line. The service from Telkom is putrid, and 6months to process a line application is horrid customer service.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
My DSL line started giving issues a while ago.
The second technician they assigned to it finally fixed it. Awesome guy - very dedicated and clued up. The first one didn't even respond to Telkom's own feedback requests.
They did further testing after they realized a number of users in the area were having issues with frequent disconnections. It seems we have a physical fault in the one cable where a old join is starting to break. We even know exactly where the break is. So it was assigned to the infrastructure guys to fix.

That was a month ago. Since then - I've received two SMS'es from them.
Dear Customer, due to repeated cable incidents in your area, Telkom has decided to offer you an alternative solution.
Details will be shared shortly.
Telkom
The number of fixed line subscribers are dropping because they are letting their infrastructure deteriorate until you have no other option but to switch to Broadband.

Cheap-ass, lazy ****s.

fourijm

Telkom fixed line pricing...

Some Isp's offer real cheap internet, but I still have to pay telkom for the line (which I use almost exclusively for internet) , and then some more for adsl.
So. to have a basic 2Mb connection, monthly cost for me +- R550
I wish there was something cheaper - I can go wireless, but then cost/=mb increases dramatically.
Any cheaper wireless?

thechamp

Honorary Master
My DSL line started giving issues a while ago.
The second technician they assigned to it finally fixed it. Awesome guy - very dedicated and clued up. The first one didn't even respond to Telkom's own feedback requests.
They did further testing after they realized a number of users in the area were having issues with frequent disconnections. It seems we have a physical fault in the one cable where a old join is starting to break. We even know exactly where the break is. So it was assigned to the infrastructure guys to fix.

That was a month ago. Since then - I've received two SMS'es from them.

The number of fixed line subscribers are dropping because they are letting their infrastructure deteriorate until you have no other option but to switch to Broadband.

Cheap-ass, lazy ****s.
As long as they can retain those customers through some different technology offering they won't be complaining of the declining fixed line numbers, e.g if they move a fixed line voice customer to their FLLA service, they still get their monthly service fee and the usage fee without the burden of mantaining the copper line.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Me to add to the decline in numbers in the near future. For reasons unknown, the voice line causes havoc with internet. Disconnected the voice line months back. Honestly we don't use it anymore. When FTTH is switched on, Telkom will be cancelled in its entirety. The end of an era.
Because you had a fault condition that is why it affected the Internet connection ......

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I am switching to fibre in a month or so :D So long landlines
Ha! What do you think a fibre connection is? It is just a different land line .... And it is prone to the same fault causing issues as the copper lines were ( except for possibly surges and lightning induced issues).

So we will wait and see ..... how soon we will start getting all sorts of reports about fibre failures ......