Telkom FUP cap errors

dews

I can't see how this can be true. A different ISP basically puts you on a different network. I believe what you experienced was merely coincidence. Possibly your exchange.
I sat there did tracerouts on both ISPs, and saw that they had different hops, although the 3rd hop was already sky high pings. Right at 12pm it went back to normal (7ms for HomeUncapped, 3ms for Axxess) so the FUP 3 is on a different level. If it was congestion at openserve then it would a big coincidence if everyone on the exchange suddenly stopped using traffic at the same time that FUP 3 stops (or the night surfer mode kicks in). So i think on FUP3, they put you in some slow-ass bucket shaping wise regardless of ISP, unless its between 12pm and 7am. FUP3 will perma decrease the bandwidth until the rollover period, but it is the shaping that is different on FUP3 compared to the others, where it doesnt help to switch to the access count, which is weird.

Arksun

Expert Member
but it is the shaping that is different on FUP3 compared to the others, where it doesnt help to switch to the access count, which is weird.
Shaping/throttling gets done on the ISP side. Axxess probably had problems of their own at that time and you just happened to have hit FUP3 during that time period on your Telkom account. Agreed, weird... but coincidence.

There's a whole bunch of reasons why Axxess could have appeared to have been performing poorly during the time period where you have just happened to be on FUP3.

ranger

Expert Member
Well I'm glad that the portal issue was sorted out (will keep an eye on it because FUP 3 is insane)

Some interesting things I found out about Telkom Home Uncapped and Openserve.
Regardless of your FUP level, between 6pm and 10pm the pings will slow down.
So they are deprioritizing this traffic between those times because most people will use the internet then.
No, this is false. The only time-based policies we had when we launched the new FUP implementation in Dec 2016 were:
- Different aggregate shaping at night (00h00 to 06h00) to not reserve capacity for high priority traffic that could ne ised for e.g. p2p.
- Zero-rating policy between 00h00 and 07h00
- The user-specific shapers for FUP1 (new), FUP2(new) and FUP3(IIRC already existed?)

Increased latency at peak demand times affecting ping (ICMP) and speedtest can only be due to congestion, either because the FUP policies were not sufficient to prevent overload of the aggregate shapers at TI, or more typically in the DSLAM backhaul.

However on FUP 3 its even worse. Normally on non-FUP, FUP1, and FUP2, i can switch to my spare Axxess account, for some low latency gaming. However once I reached FUP3, it doesn't matter if i switch to the Axxess account, the bandwith and latency is reduced to 2mbps and 150ms respectively, regardless of ISP account. Its as if they blacklist your router on the openserve network. I find this quite interesting.
No, this is technically impossible. This basically proves DSLAM congestion. Next time try on guest@openserve and use the saix speedtest server.

ranger

Expert Member
I sat there did tracerouts on both ISPs, and saw that they had different hops, although the 3rd hop was already sky high pings..
Hop number depends on where you were running the traceroute (router or pc?) and where you were running the ppp session (same or different router or PC).

Provide the traceroute. It will probably show the first IP hop after the DSLAM.

dews

Hop number depends on where you were running the traceroute (router or pc?) and where you were running the ppp session (same or different router or PC).

Provide the traceroute. It will probably show the first IP hop after the DSLAM.
Thanks - I will definitely do that next time i'm on FUP 3.

rqleslie

Hi Everyone,

Seems this issue is back - if I had to guess the Telkom Portal did not reset its counters 1 Jan and just continued from Dec..

Struggling to get any support from Telkom on this issue.

Anyone else having this issue again ?

Louis72

Hi Everyone,

Seems this issue is back - if I had to guess the Telkom Portal did not reset its counters 1 Jan and just continued from Dec..

View attachment 763200
Probably some accounts again. Mine did reset on the 1st. 20mbps home uncapped.

nal

Absolutely the problem is back, on January 3rd my 4Mbps line (according to Telkom) managed to handle 330GB traffic. I phoned Telkom and they told me to phone sales.

rqleslie

Absolutely the problem is back, on January 3rd my 4Mbps line (according to Telkom) managed to handle 330GB traffic. I phoned Telkom and they told me to phone sales.
I'm getting the same runaround - massively frustrating - been in store, twitter, support chat everything I can think of but can't get anyone to acknowledge the issue and resolve.

Arrggg...

Supervan II

LOL. This is the exact reason I dumped MWeb as my ISP around 10 years ago (4mbs, "uncapped"). Being throttled to an absolutely unuseable "service" that not even their own Home Page would load! And try asking what their limits are so that you can "toe the line" and you get further unconvincing mumbo-jumbo. Truth is: They know that they are screwing their serious users over (without Vaseline) as their offering/s are aimed at mostly facebook/twitter/youtube and forum users with the odd banking transaction or two - as soon as you do some serious downloading (irrespective of source/content), then BOOM!

Same goes for Hellkom.

FTR: I believe that their FUP is based on a rolling 30-day window based on my personal experience (carefully monitored over 4 months (126 days, in fact) - do not pay any attention to what Telkom/MWeb tries to convince you with.

Also: In the unfortunate event that you find yourself in the top percentile (which no-one is willing to clarify what percentage this is exactly) it becomes very difficult to extract yourself even although you may have drastically reduced your usage immediately after being notified (in my case I was away on business for a whole three weeks the day after being notified with no-one at home using any data).

FACT: There is no such thing as true Uncapped use-as-much as-you-possibly-can Internet in SA - and this holds true for all ISPs.

I have been on a capped account at Webafrica for years now and can comfortably download between 300GB and 500GB every month which is more than what was possible at MWeb (and before that Hellkom) before being throttled.

Ridderhannie

Hi Everyone,

View attachment 763200
I have a 40gig monthly quota on my dsl Telkom line, which I never manage to use up. Apparently on SUNDAY 5 Jan I went through 68gigs??? When my 40gigs was used up Telkom happily started using Out Of Bundle data without any notification whatsoever at what price? I don't even think my line is fast enough to do 68gigs in one day.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
LOL. This is the exact reason I dumped MWeb as my ISP around 10 years ago (4mbs, "uncapped"). Being throttled to an absolutely unuseable "service" that not even their own Home Page would load! And try asking what their limits are so that you can "toe the line" and you get further unconvincing mumbo-jumbo. Truth is: They know that they are screwing their serious users over (without Vaseline) as their offering/s are aimed at mostly facebook/twitter/youtube and forum users with the odd banking transaction or two - as soon as you do some serious downloading (irrespective of source/content), then BOOM!

Same goes for Hellkom.

FTR: I believe that their FUP is based on a rolling 30-day window based on my personal experience (carefully monitored over 4 months (126 days, in fact) - do not pay any attention to what Telkom/MWeb tries to convince you with.

Also: In the unfortunate event that you find yourself in the top percentile (which no-one is willing to clarify what percentage this is exactly) it becomes very difficult to extract yourself even although you may have drastically reduced your usage immediately after being notified (in my case I was away on business for a whole three weeks the day after being notified with no-one at home using any data).

FACT: There is no such thing as true Uncapped use-as-much as-you-possibly-can Internet in SA - and this holds true for all ISPs.

I have been on a capped account at Webafrica for years now and can comfortably download between 300GB and 500GB every month which is more than what was possible at MWeb (and before that Hellkom) before being throttled.
Erm, my vox capped account was cheaper than your Web Africa without charging extra for what speed you want to use it at, matches lines speed.

Now I'm on 100/100Mbps frogfoot fiber with atomic, so price is a bit different and my usage has increased to probably 500-600GB average.

Openserve will still get a bit cheaper I think once more move to fiber.

pierrenel

I'm having the same issue - on Telkom 40mbit VDSL - they claim I downloaded 1800+ Gb between the 1st and the 6th of Jan... I hopped onto the live chat, and was told the counter on the portal resets on the 1st, so basically I apparently downloaded more than 1.5tb in the span of a few days (impossible)... I logged into SAIX and it looks like I actually only downloaded 128 Gb. Was told by the live chat droid to email abuse@telkomsa.net but no one has responded.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I'm having the same issue - on Telkom 40mbit VDSL - they claim I downloaded 1800+ Gb between the 1st and the 6th of Jan... I hopped onto the live chat, and was told the counter on the portal resets on the 1st, so basically I apparently downloaded more than 1.5tb in the span of a few days (impossible)... I logged into SAIX and it looks like I actually only downloaded 128 Gb. Was told by the live chat droid to email abuse@telkomsa.net but no one has responded.
~ 18GB/day, so average around 550GB monthly.
That 40Mbps account costs R1451.62 or 1400 on 24 month contract.
Vox 500GB is R400, 40Mbps is 604, and pots was R200 or something, so R1204 or so, and Vox you could use a scheduler for midnight data, and you don't get hit by a FUP at 360(lvl1)/540GB(lvl2).

On DSL uncapped doesn't make that much sense, market is messed up.