Telkom FUP cap errors

Iamnotageek

Expert Member
Telkom Mobile

Reported Usage: 250MB
Actual Usage: 247MB

& this is MB I'm using, not even GB's !

I'm so sick of being screwed over by Telkom. Who do we speak to regarding this blatant theft of bandwidth usage!

Sayrian

Is it just me or is that Customer portal of theirs going down like once per day?

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
That's Telkom for you. They can't do anything properly except overcharge and deliver a poor service. They're past masters of that and wrote the book on it. Mind you, they're a SOE so it's unsurprising.

ranger

Expert Member
Of course Telkom is going to tell you to use the portal that shows the higher figures. It clear that they base their FUP levels on the higher numbers.
The portal shows the usage as recorded in the usage management system, that implements the FUP, as that is the *MOST* relevant to a customer.

It also (under connection history) shows the usage reported by RADIUS, and allows you to download spreadsheets of both, so you can compare.

They should correlate very well, but won't be identical.

5 years ago it was decide to stop using RADIUS for usage enforcement,as:
* Telkom is not allowed to disconnect users unless they are over quota, so it is impossible to do accurate accounting of NightSurfer using RADIUS
* The regulatory status of disconnecting users for FUP enforcement was unclear (the regulations were the result of the MyADSL initiatives to try and get regulations approved in ~2004 that would require Telkom to make all DSL uncapped, and failed).
* Openserve doesn't offer CoA (change of authorization, to change the profile of a connected subscriber without terminating their PPP session).
* No other smart features (e.g. the bolt-ons that we have offered) are possible

Afrihost decided to stay with RADIUS, and they disconnect users to change the shaping profile applied by Openserve, and also have inconsistent accounting of their NightSurfer feature.

The Telkom Internet usage management was very reliable for about 4 years after it was launched (in Feb 2013). There were some issues, but most were rectified (and usage corrected or topups given) within a day.

However, the operational support for Telkom Internet has suffered from the restructuring at Telkom, and the retrenchments at BCX.

Also, check that they don't randomly change your reset date to a different date.
It isn't done randomly, it is done once, and clearly communicated to you when you reach FUP3 and accept the FUP message.

Two months ago, I stayed on FUP 3 for an extra week.
You shouldn't have. Your usage should have been reset when your rollover date changed. I wrote tests for this when I implemented it, so it was definitely working (though it could have broken in the past 2 years).

ranger

Expert Member
Feb 5 Update

Telkom Portal

Total usage for Feb - 93,58GB

You know there is a graph, and a download option (on the 'Connectivity' page), right?Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 11.55.32.png

You might also try the 'Connections history' and it's download option (I am still sad that it doesn't have a date picker like the usage history does).

S7wede

Expert Member
@ranger I am well aware of these options. I am simply using the most basic format to monitor my total overall use. Later in the month will I break it down by the day. So far so good though.

Happy Days

It isn't done randomly, it is done once, and clearly communicated to you when you reach FUP3 and accept the FUP message.
I have reached FUP3 virtually every month and at no stage was I ever informed that my rollover date would be changed; nor did it change until end of November.

You shouldn't have. Your usage should have been reset when your rollover date changed. I wrote tests for this when I implemented it, so it was definitely working (though it could have broken in the past 2 years).
My rollover would have been 1 December, but I stayed on FUP3 until 8 December. Thanks for the explantion though!

Anyhoo, will be rid of Telkom in the next two months.

king96bily

Has anyone else noticed the Telkom internet error when calculating your internet usage?

Step 1: Login to https://customerportal.telkomsa.net to see what Telkom has decided is your usage for the month.

Step 2.: Login to https://userstats.adsl.saix.net/ using your telkom adsl credentials and you will get your actual traffic use.
I have tested this manually by disconnecting all connections and then restarting my connection to confirm... and it is the correct amount of data. You will notice it is roughly half of the value stated in the Telkom website....

This results in users being throttled for exceeding the FUP when in fact they have not done so.

For example i have an Uncapped 4MB line which i have had no problems with for a few years until last month.
(It is a 4MB line and yes i have confirmed the lines speed at several times using https://speedof.me/ and other methods.)
Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate
If anyone else has experienced this or has any idea how to fix this please comment.
Step 1: Login to https://customerportal.telkomsa.net to see what Telkom has decided is your usage for the month.

Step 2.: Login to https://userstats.adsl.saix.net/ using your telkom adsl credentials and you will get your actual traffic use. I have tested this manually by disconnecting all connections and then restarting my connection to confirm... and it is the correct amount of data. You will notice it is roughly half of the value stated in the Telkom website....

Last edited:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Step 2.: Login to https://userstats.adsl.saix.net/ using your telkom adsl credentials and you will get your actual traffic use. I have tested this manually by disconnecting all connections and then restarting my connection to confirm... and it is the correct amount of data. You will notice it is roughly half of the value stated in the Telkom website....
Fortunately not anymore, at least since the beginning of the month. If anything the CP usage is slightly lower than the US one.

badtrev

The issue seems to be resolved on my side so far for this month - including Night Surfer we've only just passed 50GB after a week. Our usual usage is about 200 GB normal and about 150GB of Night Surfer.

nal

Everything is now more or less correct, but it still does not change that I was paying for four times the actual speed I was receiving for a lot of last month.

Maciej

How do I find out what my Telkom FUP quota is? I am on 4-10Mbps uncapped.

Thanks

Arksun

Expert Member
How do I find out what my Telkom FUP quota is? I am on 4-10Mbps uncapped.

Thanks
4-10Mbps? Never heard of that package. You get 4Mb and 10Mb. Anyfart, FUP1 starts at 160GB on 4Mb and 450GB on 10Mb. FUP3 kicks in at 360GB on 4Mb and 900GB on 10Mb.

Maciej

4-10Mbps? Never heard of that package. You get 4Mb and 10Mb. Anyfart, FUP1 starts at 160GB on 4Mb and 450GB on 10Mb. FUP3 kicks in at 360GB on 4Mb and 900GB on 10Mb.
Customer portal at telkomsa.net tells me today:

Fixed Usage
Home Uncapped (4-10Mbps)
FUP Not Active

Christo4

4 - 10 Mbps. Yes that's true. Old 4 Mbps hoping to be pushed up to 10.
FUP 1 = 180 gb, Slow speed from 7 to 9 pm
FUP 2 = 270 gb, Slow speed from 6 to 10 pm

millhouse

Firstly thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my initial question.

After contacting Telkom via email the problem on my account (4-10MB home uncapped) appears to be fixed for this month (Feb) so far...
It took them about 9 days to respond to my email. They have apologized and corrected the issue.

The Telkom portal now matches the SAIX usage statistics.

Note the Telkom portal may be slightly higher since the SAIX portal does not include the current active session count.

Without inside information about how the system works it is very difficult to separate truth from lies. That combined with Telkom shills and misinformation from ex employees and tech support makes it tricky to figure out whats really going on, so thanks once again to all who took the time to respond.

I would suggest that you continuously monitor your usage using some independent method, to keep track of what your usage actually is just in case this happens again.

dews

Well I'm glad that the portal issue was sorted out (will keep an eye on it because FUP 3 is insane)

Some interesting things I found out about Telkom Home Uncapped and Openserve.
Regardless of your FUP level, between 6pm and 10pm the pings will slow down.
So they are deprioritizing this traffic between those times because most people will use the internet then.

However on FUP 3 its even worse. Normally on non-FUP, FUP1, and FUP2, i can switch to my spare Axxess account, for some low latency gaming. However once I reached FUP3, it doesn't matter if i switch to the Axxess account, the bandwith and latency is reduced to 2mbps and 150ms respectively, regardless of ISP account. Its as if they blacklist your router on the openserve network. I find this quite interesting.

Arksun

Expert Member
Well I'm glad that the portal issue was sorted out (will keep an eye on it because FUP 3 is insane)

Some interesting things I found out about Telkom Home Uncapped and Openserve.
Regardless of your FUP level, between 6pm and 10pm the pings will slow down.
So they are deprioritizing this traffic between those times because most people will use the internet then.

However on FUP 3 its even worse. Normally on non-FUP, FUP1, and FUP2, i can switch to my spare Axxess account, for some low latency gaming. However once I reached FUP3, it doesn't matter if i switch to the Axxess account, the bandwith and latency is reduced to 2mbps and 150ms respectively, regardless of ISP account. Its as if they blacklist your router on the openserve network. I find this quite interesting.
I can't see how this can be true. A different ISP basically puts you on a different network. I believe what you experienced was merely coincidence. Possibly your exchange.