• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Telkom LIT Experiences?

I wanna get Telkom's LIT streaming service soon :), and I wanted to know if anyone can share their experiences with it?

It's a great deal for me personally. But I don't really trust Telkom. :D
(I know all the "Fair Usage" and video quality limit stuff btw)

Last edited:

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
From what i gather you need to activate the service on the telkom webportal if its already not enabled.. works at 360p for video, not sure for Audio quality.. If you want higher quality video, you have to disable the service and that uses data..

Its pretty much an awesome deal considering its just a perk and not something you paying extra for

sajunky

Honorary Master
From the first response I gather these is a confusion. There are two separate things:

1. Telkom LIT (zero-rated streaming service) available only on FreeMe 2GB/5GB package or above. According to T&C it is for use on smartphones, no tethering allowed.

2. Telkom LIT TV box. It is a powerful 4K device, it would be a waste to use for streaming 360p content. It is available on 50GB/100GB SmartBroadband packages (currently giving double data). I didn't receive any feedback whether LIT service can be used on these or similar packages.

Last edited:

bluejhb

it's a been a bliss, works like a charm... been streaming(and offline downloading) on Apple music.

LootsVod

im having issues streaming on netflix; instead of deducting from the 50GB LIT video data available its deducting from my normal usage data... which it shouldnt be doing... Showmax on the other hand works perfectly.

im having issues streaming on netflix; instead of deducting from the 50GB LIT video data available its deducting from my normal usage data... which it shouldnt be doing... Showmax on the other hand works perfectly.
I don't think Netflix is one of the partners with the LIT service anymore

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hi Guys,

I'm getting the 50GB package this week, any advice if the LIT service will be active out of the box? Or do I have to activate it, if so how do you do it?
First of all what are you referring too?

LIT streaming is not included in the LTE deals. It's only included in the Freeme packages 2GB and 3GB for Music and 5GB and above for Music and Video.

If you are talking about the media player then yes they probably include those in the deal BUT data is charged for on that box no matter if you use it for the simcard the deal is included.

That is where people are confusing things.

LIT streaming addons can be bought @ R99 for 10GB Music streaming or R229 for 50GB LIT Video. Those bundles can be bolt on to most packages but remember that quality is limited to 360p which won't look nice on a HD TV. Higher quality is not blocked and will still consume the LIT bundle but those services are speed capped to 1Mbps so HD will buffer for a long while before you can actually view it.

325i

The bundle works via tethering. Had a free 2GB Lit bundle given to me by telkom, was able to stream at 360p videos form that bundle only on my laptop, while my normal data bundle was left untouched. I'm not even on the freeme plan, still on SmartPlan 100.

cavedog

Honorary Master
The bundle works via tethering. Had a free 2GB Lit bundle given to me by telkom, was able to stream at 360p videos form that bundle only on my laptop, while my normal data bundle was left untouched. I'm not even on the freeme plan, still on SmartPlan 100.
Yes it does.

You can create wifi hotspot and use it like that. You can also put it in a router or mifi and link it to the DSTV Explora and Catchup Plus and Showmax will also work BUT as I mentioned before once a service is bough that include LIT like a Freeme boost bundle or a actual LIT video bundle all traffic from those services are limited to 1Mbps.

So that would mean if you create a wifi hotspot or add it to your router and want to stream on like 5 devices at the same time from 1 simcard it's probably not going to be fun because everything will buffer.

bheinche

First of all what are you referring too?

LIT streaming is not included in the LTE deals. It's only included in the Freeme packages 2GB and 3GB for Music and 5GB and above for Music and Video.

If you are talking about the media player then yes they probably include those in the deal BUT data is charged for on that box no matter if you use it for the simcard the deal is included.

That is where people are confusing things.

LIT streaming addons can be bought @ R99 for 10GB Music streaming or R229 for 50GB LIT Video. Those bundles can be bolt on to most packages but remember that quality is limited to 360p which won't look nice on a HD TV. Higher quality is not blocked and will still consume the LIT bundle but those services are speed capped to 1Mbps so HD will buffer for a long while before you can actually view it.
As per telkom it is included with my package. Have already contacted them and it will be active out of the box.

cavedog

Honorary Master
As per telkom it is included with my package. Have already contacted them and it will be active out of the box.
Well I will be very surprise if it is but if true you would be able to see the LIT music and Video streaming data allocations via onnet.telkom.co.za

This is my experience.

I have two devices - one with a 5GB FreeMe which included 15GB of 360p video data. It works the way it should with Netflix. The other device on which I have loaded a 50GB video bundle will not access the www.netflix.co.za domain (all of a sudden). Other domains covered by the LIT video bundle - google play / youtube / showmax / dstv can be accessed but NOT netflix. It should work but it does not.*
I have various friends and colleagues who have reported similar experiences. In my case Telkom is blocking packets going to Netflix when the*user has only LIT video data available (and when trying to use the LIT video bundle @ R229.00).

Any comments would really be appreciated. Telkom's terms of service related to LIT Video allows them to pretty much close up shop without telling anybody so we customer must just smile and nod.

UDC

How does one disable the air mouse on this LIT box, mine seems to come on automatically after a minute or so

Park@82

Honorary Master
Yes it does.

You can create wifi hotspot and use it like that. You can also put it in a router or mifi and link it to the DSTV Explora and Catchup Plus and Showmax will also work BUT as I mentioned before once a service is bough that include LIT like a Freeme boost bundle or a actual LIT video bundle all traffic from those services are limited to 1Mbps.

So that would mean if you create a wifi hotspot or add it to your router and want to stream on like 5 devices at the same time from 1 simcard it's probably not going to be fun because everything will buffer.
Say that you have a Freeme 5GB package with LIT and you want to stream 1080p YouTube from your normal 5GB bundle (Not 50GB LIT) is there a way to do this? Or are you stuck on 1mbps for all YouTube traffic 24/7?