Telkom LTE constantly changing public IP addresses

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
It seems to me like its the Huawei B315 routers that are giving a problem as well.
Indeed they are, the firmware update from a few weeks ago made it a piece of crap. Hence I've bought a B593 to replace it and STOP Telkom from forcing upgrades on my router.

Legin

Just got out of a very frustrating chat with Telkom over something which has cropped up today on my Uncapped LTE and wondering if there's anybody else out there with Telkom's Uncapped LTE who has noticed the same thing.

So what I've noticed is that my public IP address changes every few seconds. The LTE connection doesn't drop but it just changes - google "what's my IP and refresh constantly and you literally watch it change every few seconds. It's always 197.229.x.x with those last two octets changing. I've never experienced this before in the +2 years I've had LTE, so when I got in contact with Telkom the end result of a painful chat-where I had to explain that I wasn't looking for a static IP address, but that dynamic addressing shouldn't work this way-was that "every time you connect to the internet the IP address changes", which was apparently the response from two of the back office technical guys.

This can't be correct. There are consumer services which doesn't necessarily require a static address, but does require that your address not change during a single connection session. Services like smartDNS, which for me no longer works because of this.

This started from today for me. Has anybody else run into the same or similar issues recently on their Uncapped LTE?
Im having the exact same problem. Any feedback yet on this issue?

Cyjon

Remote access to my cameras and alarm system failed and it took me a long while to notice that my IP address was changing 2-3 times a second. So port forwarding and DDNS updating wasn't working. I've given your APN 'unrestricted' a try on my B315 and so far it's working a treat. Thank you so much!!!

handmade

Since the beginning of last week we have an increasing number of client sites that are experiencing problems with Telkom LTE users. The errors pertain to the logged in sessions, which are persistently reset due to the constant IP changes. From what we can see the IP range is almost always 197.229.xxx.xxx range.

We have one site in particular who literally has 100's of Telkom users using their site. This is now becoming a pretty serious issue with month end approaching.

In this thread, I am wondering what Telkom's take is regarding this issue and who would be the responsible people in Telkom to report such an issue to. Ideally we need a proper resolution as opposed to trying to get users to fix the problem using a "work around".

ranger

Expert Member
I see the ip address on my LTE router showing 100.x.x.x series but as the poster above; refreshing a "whats my ip" site and it keeps changing in the 197.228.x.x range.

I suspect they have a problem with their "Carrier Grade NAT" system they are using.
No, this is the way CGNAT "works". When I was still there, we tried to convince them to work in parallel on IPv6 roll-out to avoid investment in a dead technology, but this id what IPv4-depletion looks like ...

I believe many US ISPs have to do CGNAT because they don't have enough IPs for their residential customers.

[
I wonder if these will affect banking sites when IP addresses keep changing whilst logged in to internet banking.
Many internet banking sites have inactivity logouts, which will probanly log you out before the TTL on the NAT mapping expires.

The bigger problem us that CGNAT (as far as I know) only supports outbound connections), so leaving the unrestricted APN for this makes sense.

ranger

Expert Member
I am still receiving Public IP's on two routers, one TM LTE and the other roaming,
Maybe KZN has not been switched over to CGN yet
What IP range do you get? 105.18* (I think it was 105.185/16). If so, I think you're breaking out via Telkom Internet, and get allocated IPs Telkom Internet provided to Telkom Mobile.

HowTo

Expert Member
Hi

I also had a problem with this while playing games.
Then I need to get some sort of verification that it is actually me playing.
(Jhb, Benoni,Kempton Park also comes to mind. These are logins point were I'm routed from.)
I did tried to get this across to Telkom. They don't understand.

Over-Dose

The Telkom APN change on my router from the default internet and alternate TelkomInternet to the recommended unrestricted APN did the trick for me also.

And the people who are supposedly "support staff" at Telkom absolutely have NO CLUE about all this. I had to Google to get to the two threads here on MyBB to get some results.

Thanks again to all for this. :)

The Free Radical

The only issue I have with the 'unrestricted' APN is that if you using prepaid Freeme bundles, youtube (360 resolution or less) comes off your all networks data and not the LIT Video or LIT Music data. Got a nasty surprise when this happened.

hansotto

Thank you! I though I was going crazy too, with IP changing. Different public IP's showing on laptop and mobile....
APN unrestricted fixed that!
Huawei 315. Telkom LTE uncapped.

For the past week now - Telkom LTE is changing IP's every 2 -3 minutes. I changed the APN to "unrestricted", as described above, and as confirmed by Telkom. This is very frustrating as we cannot work. Every time I attempt to connect to the server - i just manage to login, when it boots me out, due to the IP HAS CHANGED.

Anyone else struggling, or know of a solution? Telkom Support is pathetic and clueless

We using a B593-601 Router

cavedog

Honorary Master
For the past week now - Telkom LTE is changing IP's every 2 -3 minutes. I changed the APN to "unrestricted", as described above, and as confirmed by Telkom. This is very frustrating as we cannot work. Every time I attempt to connect to the server - i just manage to login, when it boots me out, due to the IP HAS CHANGED.

Anyone else struggling, or know of a solution? Telkom Support is pathetic and clueless

We using a B593-601 Router
This should not happen when you are on the unrestricted apn. To check whether the router is getting a IP in the router go to the link below or edit the ip address to the correct one for the router. You should see your Telkom IP on the WAN IP Address. If you don't and you see a CGN (Carrier Grade NAT) IP of 10.x.x.x then you are not on the unrestricted APN.

http://192.168.8.1/html/deviceinformation.html

e49b123bb0efe3ce60a740d63479ae2d.png

I doubt Telkom will switch CGN off anytime soon as IPv4 depletion is a real thing and Telkom sells lots of sims for fixed wireless solutions which stay online 24/7 even when capped so their IP pool is getting depleted. You can imagine that if just 500 people that are capped on their 20GB capped LTE products leave their router on for the whole month they aren't even accessing the internet but they are holding a IP for the whole month. Obviously this is also an issue with legit users trying to do real stuff on the net.

duncan40

Pleasure!

Now accepting rep points ;)
Hi, I tried your advice with the Telkom "unrestricted" apn and it works. I also set up noip.com DDNS on Huawei router and all good. Thank you so much. (I use this feature for SmartDNS)

Question: Afrihost Huawei LTE do you think the same would apply on their Cell C network? I have queried earlier on today with Afrihost support and they don't support fixed/static IP's on their fixed wireless packages. Would like to use SmartDNS with Afrihost as well.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards Duncan