Telkom LTE problems

Gudnews

Expert Member
The pain continues! Man was I living the good life and I guess I took it for granted. SMH.

Unigma

Add Rain LTE. As erratic as a fox terrier on dope. Also essential dead for long periods. Everything says the internet is on but mo data trickles through. Other times just dead when is was fast seconds before. Sometimes a router reboot helps other times not.
Totally untrustworthy.
And no explanation from Rain, of course.

Yep, I tested Rain a moment ago (10 April @ 00H55) ....Download speed = 0.1Mbps = 100Kbps??? It REALLY reminds me of 1995/6 with my US Robotice dial-up modem.

Of course support (at) rain.co.za won't reply (as expected) or offer any reason for this!

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I don't know what's happening in my area. I've got a nightly bundle and like clockwork, each night at 00:00 my download speed is throttled to 250Kbps.
After 1am, roughly 1h30, my connection is restored to a standard speed I usually get.

It's bloody annoying.

Gudnews

Expert Member
I don't know what's happening in my area. I've got a nightly bundle and like clockwork, each night at 00:00 my download speed is throttled to 250Kbps.
After 1am, roughly 1h30, my connection is restored to a standard speed I usually get.

It's bloody annoying.
I suspect the same thing is happening to me. Seems like the night data shaping era is upon us.

Lucas Buck

Executive Member
I suspect the same thing is happening to me. Seems like the night data shaping era is upon us.

I see that you posted in this thread link. This is the reason why I stopped buying the night surfer only data from telkom.

Gudnews

Expert Member
I hope not :(
I'm not sure yet and especially after seeing this as well:
My issues only started when this WACS outage happened. These tweets are a bit confusing though because the outage was fixed. Is this they way of saying that they haven't yet recovered from it? Or are they oblivious to the fact that the outage was fixed? When I wake up at 06h40 to bring my ship to shore I see some nice figures on the speed meter (up to 65Mbits in bursts) but a speed test doesn't back up those figures. I remember last year they fixed the issue after another cable break, I believe it was this one:
The shutdown is probably affecting operations it's safe to assume.

Last edited:

Gudnews

Expert Member
I see that you posted in this thread link. This is the reason why I stopped buying the night surfer only data from telkom.
It just sucks that they are to the only game in town when in it comes to a large prepaid night data bundle.