Telkom to freeze network for elections

Yuu

Executive Member
They should learn to multitask as an event like this should show how advanced they have become and not do anykind of freezing, this just tells me their network is AGN..."Ancient Generation Network" lol

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Very sad to see they can only handle one thing at a time - If other Fixed line operators can be ranked according to they type of connection Telkom would rank as 56k Dial Up.

Tjoker

Expert Member
Very sad to see they can only handle one thing at a time - If other Fixed line operators can be ranked according to they type of connection Telkom would rank as 56k Dial Up.
Like an IPHONE?!?!

I say again......TELKOM = GOVERNMENT OWNED......and who owns government?!?!??! Lost cause..........

MickeyD

RIP
They should learn to multitask as an event like this should show how advanced they have become and not do anykind of freezing, this just tells me their network is AGN..."Ancient Generation Network" lol
Standard practice to reduce the risk of unwanted "hands in the network".

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
To all the ppl who are complaining.. like McD has said.. its standard practice for any enterprise class network or carrier class network... freeze when you have a massive event happening on the network so you can be sure that it isn't a change that breaks thing...

g-d-zilla

A network freeze and a network maintenance freeze are two totally independent functions. I wish they would get their effing terminology right. It's a network maintenance freeze!

rorz0r

Executive Member
It's not really newsworthy but ok... Pretty much ALL big companies have freeze periods. Some only allow changes to happen every 2 weeks for example. Banks have "banking freeze" where none of them are supposed to change anything for about 2 months.

Fishzn

Essential networks services still suck regardless of the freeze! Wish we had the choice to vote for telecoms service providers!

Muasulai

The guys may have F**ked up with their terminologies here - network maintenance freeze, vs Network freeze - but I think some of the flack here is unwarranted. They delivered excellent world cup, and no-one said anything, and now with over 20,000 (vpn?) connections to keep live 24/7 @99.999 availability, you cant risk having any un-known.

Let's give the Pr&&ks a break.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
They freeze everything! The ability to deliver to the man in the street at a reputable price! To have a good service desk! Everything except the accounts department!

VioAdmin

Expert Member
Simply PATHETIC. A network freeze as if it's simply ok to do that? Even though millions of rands are going to flames because someone will surely lose clients, business, transactions because of the problems this will cause.

TELKOM IS SIMPLY PATHETIC.

Kwerty

Expert Member
Company Rep
I fail to see why so many people are complaining.. It's election time, and probably one of the most important things Telkom will be involved in for a good couple of years. We wouldn't want any "unwanted hands" tampering on the network during this do we?

Question: Would I be able to change my sync profile or is this too considered maintenance?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
all I wanna know is when is Telkom going to enter a period of network "thaw" or even activity???

My line has been frozen since 2006.

Jan

Drifting in the black
I fail to see why so many people are complaining.. It's election time, and probably one of the most important things Telkom will be involved in for a good couple of years. We wouldn't want any "unwanted hands" tampering on the network during this do we?
I also think there's a misconception about what "network maintenance freeze period" means. It doesn't mean no-one else will be able to use the network - just that they won't be doing any planned maintenance this week.

Telkom also said that "normal service restoration and activation" activities would proceed as normal.

Question: Would I be able to change my sync profile or is this too considered maintenance?
Hrm... Based on Telkom's feedback, I'd say a profile change is less than a full service activation, so it should be allowed.