Telkom versus Neotel

Gladiator

Might be too late for Neotel to make a difference, maybe if they use their towers as a CDMA cellphone network it might get them some customers, of course this would cause havoc introducing GSM and CDMA phones in the same market, just look at Nigeria

MickeyD

RIP
With Neotel openly stating that they have no expansion plans, and further stating that they are not going to be fulfilling their mandate to provide fixed line services, this is a rather pointless comparison.
That's my opinion as well... exactly where in the smaller cities, towns and rural areas can you apply for Neotel services?

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Neotel cheaper throughout. Though it is mainly business who would use this. Telkom Closer2 option works out cheaper and you can talk for hundreds of hours in the evening for only R170ish per month as long as you call Telkom lines.

Not sure how the call quality of Neotel compares in bad weather given that it is wireless.

Renesongs

This is the one thing that is keeping me from terminating my Neohell contract. Also the billing is per sec from the first sec AFAIK

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Honestly I think we should start investing in Neotel a bit. These prices are user-friendly. It's worth consideration. But still yeah. It hardly makes sense to get neotel connectivity when you then still have to get Telkom connectivity just for internet. So come LLU come!

bitesize

telkom kept giving our line to someone else, their techs complained that they had bad cables and didn't know when new ones would ever been installed. so we went with neotel. like the cell network you do get dropped calls and sometimes no line.

but.

R300 per month with line rental and calls from neotel vs R1500 with telkom and a line out of commission most of the time? which would you go with?

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
I tend to differ! Neotel dug up the whole of Cape Town to lay their cables!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I would expect a site like MyBB to know that telkom only adjust prices in August.

I would expect the posters to realise that Telkom has done nothing to their prices apart from a slight increase every August for years now.

Juice

Expert Member
And any word on competition in the fixed line broadband space? Anyone? No? Oh well... ZZZzzzZZZzzz...

Juice

straatkat

Call cost is comparative, but service area for individuals still remains a problem. Much more favorable for business!

Nicko

Expert Member
Fck u telkom now I can completely cut you off. Neotel for landline and Cell C for internet.

bitesize

What about the line rental and installation charges?

do you mean for neotel? i pay R99 for line rental a month, get free R25 for calls, and paid R600 for the handset which I got straight away. A higher plan with internet usage you should get the device for free. no installations.

jasweb

Well lets see what FTTH (fibre to the home) from i3 bring (free VOIP with HD TV anyone?). True IP convergence will kill Telkom (we hope).