Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Telkom's plan to switch off ADSL

Telkom has plans to migrate all of its copper-based services to fibre over time but will continue to sell its DSL services for the foreseeable future.

This is according to a Telkom spokesperson who also told MyBroadband that the company would not disconnect DSL customers in areas where it does not have fibre infrastructure.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
A question for those who still have ADSL:

How long does it take for your router to connect to internet when you switch it on?

werny

Expert Member

How long does it take for your router to connect to internet when you switch it on?

Have VDSL at the office as a backup, the router (Netgear) actually boots up and connects faster than the Fibre setup we have (ONT+Router). Dare I say it, when Telkom/Openserve's copper is in good condition and maintained it's actually way more stable and have less issues than Fibre, not exactly sure why that's the case but seems like with Fibre installations rushed there's way less quality control, and thus way more issues, instability and downtime, Vumatel and Octotel being the worst, OpenServe's Fibre is light years ahead.

Totempole

Expert Member

Only slightly longer than it takes a Vumatel ONT and the attached router to start.

Reactions: Yuu

TheChamp

Honorary Master
At least they have learnt from.their mistake, they lost a lot of clients when they went guns blazing cutting off copper without options.

TheChamp

Honorary Master

As much as how long it takes you to be distracted by something like boiling a kettle for coffee or taking your shoes off, if it takes forever there is a problem.

Last edited:

PHeX

Will Telkom dicommision it DSL services in area's covered by Closed FNO's?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Will Telkom dicommision it DSL services in area's covered by Closed FNO's?

No. Telkom only switches off if the area is covered by Openserve fibre or if there is continuous copper theft.

After Openserve has rolled out fibre Openserve still keeps the ADSL running for quite some time until majority of the client have switched over before they decide on a decommission date.

PHeX

No. Telkom only switches off if the area is covered by Openserve fibre or if there is continuous copper theft.

After Openserve has rolled out fibre Openserve still keeps the ADSL running for quite some time until majority of the client have switched over before they decide on a decommission date.
I live in an area covered by Closed Access FNO Herotel and this guy's don't play along with Open Access FNO's/ ISP's. Unless this Closed Access FNO's become Open Access Telkom will forever have DSL in my area.

joecool

Telkom's plan to switch off ADSL

Telkom has plans to migrate all of its copper-based services to fibre over time but will continue to sell its DSL services for the foreseeable future.

This is according to a Telkom spokesperson who also told MyBroadband that the company would not disconnect DSL customers in areas where it does not have fibre infrastructure.
Does Telkom know what it is doing? There is NO fibre in my street (and there are no plans to put fibre in). And, yet, Telkom has sent a neighbour a "final statement" for her ADSL line! After a few calls to Telkom, she rushed off to her local Vodacom store and gave them her business.

This experience (and others) leads me to think that this might be about an incentive scheme that rewards sales staff to sign up ADSL users to mobile? The end result is that ADSL users are being forced to "migrate". If this were to happen to me, I will not give my mobile data business to Telkom.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Dsl works pretty well where I live, only cancelled it because it has no backup power, due to battery theft.

Craig_

Honorary Master

Fast enough to not even know how long it takes, probably not even a minute.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Dsl works pretty well where I live, only cancelled it because it has no backup power, due to battery theft.
Feeding from a remote mini exchange? Because I know the one close to me had a beast of a diesel generator that bellowed out thick black smoke when loadshedding hits.

Kung Fu Porkchop

Expert Member
Does Telkom know what it is doing? There is NO fibre in my street (and there are no plans to put fibre in). And, yet, Telkom has sent a neighbour a "final statement" for her ADSL line! After a few calls to Telkom, she rushed off to her local Vodacom store and gave them her business.

This experience (and others) leads me to think that this might be about an incentive scheme that rewards sales staff to sign up ADSL users to mobile? The end result is that ADSL users are being forced to "migrate". If this were to happen to me, I will not give my mobile data business to Telkom.
No, Telkom has no idea what they're doing, especially in smaller towns. Up until last year March, I had Telkom VDSL for about 6 years with very few problems, but as soon as I moved to my new house and tried to transfer the line, they told me that they wouldn't be moving the line as they were discontinuing ADSL/VDSL in the area, and this without there even being plans for fibre from their side. I managed to get the line transferred with the local technician being a friend and doing me a huge favor. Up until I cancelled the line, they still had the line at the previous residence.

Luckily Herotel started their fibre roll-out at the start of 2021, otherwise I would've been stuck with a limited Vodacom data contract, since RAIN & Telkom mobile means little to nothing here.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Feeding from a remote mini exchange? Because I know the one close to me had a beast of a diesel generator that bellowed out thick black smoke when loadshedding hits.
I would say main white DSLAM, the bottom part is empty where there is suppose be batteries

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I would say main white DSLAM, the bottom part is empty where there is suppose be batteries
I see, yeah, those are troublesome, even if the batteries are still there but there is an extended outage, mine used to feed directly from the main exchange, it was way more reliable than the LTE I have now during loadshedding, I miss my ADSL, it was discontinued after a cable theft.

Dodger67

There are still dozens (if not hundreds) of small towns and villages all over the country that aren't anywhere near to even a faint rumour of getting fibre.