• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

The Angry at "Clickbait" Thread

rpm

Admin
Staff member
We have noticed that certain members complain about headlines, describing them as clickbait.

What makes something clickbait: Online material (such as headlines) designed to make readers want to click on hyperlinks which lead to content of dubious value or interest.

Example: “You'll never believe what happened when…”

Our aim is to provide headlines which inform users of what they can expect in an article, to assist them to make a choice on whether to read it or not.

We can, however, appreciate that users obsessed with identifying what they view as clickbait are not happy with this definition and have a desire to complain about clickbait titles.

Unfortunately, this distracts from article discussions in the article thread - which is why we opened this thread.

Please use this thread for all your clickbait complaints. Clickbait complaints in article threads will be deleted and a friendly warning issued. If it continues, it will result in infractions.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
We have noticed that certain members complain about headlines, describing them as clickbait.

What makes something clickbait: Online material (such as headlines) designed to make readers want to click on hyperlinks which lead to content of dubious value or interest.

Our aim is to provide headlines which inform users of what they can expect in an article, to assist them to make a choice on whether to read it or not.

We can, however, appreciate that users obsessed with identifying what they view as clickbait are not happy with this definition and have a desire to complain about clickbait titles.

Unfortunately, this distracts from article discussions in the article thread - which is why we opened this thread.

Please use this thread for all your clickbait complaints. Clickbait complaints in article threads will be deleted and a friendly warning issued. If it continues, it will result in infractions.
This MS thread is pure and unadulterated clickbait :

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...ould-monitor-all-your-communications-–-Report
Microsoft employees could monitor all your communications – Report

The article has less than sweet FA to do with the headline.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Can we just link businesstech with the 4/5 exception articles instead of the other way around? Would be a lot faster. :p

supersunbird

Honorary Master
This is an example of clickbait:

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...-R223-900-per-GB-for-roaming-on-MTN’s-network

My better headline:

"Cell C subscribers charged R223,900 per GB for roaming on MTN’s network"

New and improved and even shorter... and includes the word massive, as it should:

"Massive charges for Cell C subscribers that roam on MTN Nigerias network"
And here is an example of a moron that can't identify clickbait:

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...Hyper-Threading-to-all-new-Pentium-processors

Pentium processors didn't have HT, now they do, headline is clear, maybe the #StopClickbait moron doesn't know what a Pentium processor is, and that there are other ranges of Intel processors (i#, Celeron and whatever). He deserves a warning.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I think the term "clickbait" is being misused a lot, but there certainly are articles with headlines that lie about the contents of the article.

Example: "Whites are very dangerous"

...and then what follows is an article about a DA run municipality's workers protesting for wage increases and some arb protestor said "whites are dangerous".

It's an example, fair enough, but I've seen it happen: a single line that has nothing to do with the story is pulled from the article and made the headline.

Another reason your getting so many "clickbait" complaints is because some of the articles aren't really well researched, feel rushed, makes common sense or are void of any real substance giving the impression that quantity is favoured over quality and articles are pushed out soley for the clicks and not for the actual content.

Rpm, all good and well, but the Business tech headlines... Come now, you need to agree... holy fark :D

Edit: I will actually feel way better if the whole article of the Businesstech thread was in there. However, we're baited to go to Businesstech.co.za... Why?
If the full article is in that thread with the heading I would have zero issues with the heading. But now it's a heading that entices you to go to businesstech and then...

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Sweet! So this is like that complaints bin you see next to the shredder in the office?

I have said my piece before, others have too... no need for me to say one word further.
However, what took you so long to listen to your readership?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I would love to see a response from the MyBB team on this....
They get their sources from certain newsfeeds ie: the previous ap feed. Depending on audience maybe this was trimmed? Just saying, the other article also references the journal.

Akasha

Executive Member
I completely understand the need for this thread. Most of you guys aren't happy with anything this forum does. If you're unhappy, GTFO. I'm sometimes not happy with certain threads, I don't go around posting my stupid opinion on every single post I don't like. It's really not difficult clicking that x on the top of the tab :)

I completely understand the need for this thread. Most of you guys aren't happy with anything this forum does. If you're unhappy, GTFO. I'm sometimes not happy with certain threads, I don't go around posting my stupid opinion on every single post I don't like. It's really not difficult clicking that x on the top of the tab :)
Hold your [-]tits[/-] horses there lady :eek:

Not at all, I like everything about this forum. Just not the way we're being lured to click on other affiliate sites to generate a separate income... Do you see any Mybroadband news articles posted on Business tech's website directing traffic here under false news headings? Didn't think so :p

Last edited:

rpm

Admin
Staff member
So, if you're gonna copy paste maybe just include the link to the full article...
It was a press statement. You should see that we have links to articles which we use as sources. Press statements are sent to us (and many other publications), which is why the content is similar.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It was a press statement. You should see that we have links to articles which we use as sources. Press statements are sent to us (and many other publications), which is why the content is similar.
As a matter of interest, when are publications required to reference the source like "Source: AFP" or is it just something some of them do out of their own?

Jase

Expert Member
I tend to agree with Akasha but I also try to promote MyBB on my social media and I really get irritated at the 'This is what you need to do to bla bla' or 'This is why you have to buy 3D glasses bla bla bla'.

It reminds me of all those crappy links to articles one sees on FB that I usually just block.

I tend to agree with Akasha but I also try to promote MyBB on my social media and I really get irritated at the 'This is what you need to do to bla bla' or 'This is why you have to buy 3D glasses bla bla bla'.

It reminds me of all those crappy links to articles one sees on FB that I usually just block.
EXACTLY THIS ^^