The Banting/LCHF Thread

APoc184

Honorary Master
Do we get any stevia sweetened carbonated drinks in SA? I know of Zevia, but you can't get that here :(
The Coke Life (I think) is a combo between Stevia and Sugar. So not fully Stevia sweetened. Still contains plenty of sugar.

If I remember correctly the Lipton Ice Teas are exactly the same. Part sugar, part Stevia.

EDIT:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
The Coke Life (I think) is a combo between Stevia and Sugar. So not fully Stevia sweetened. Still contains plenty of sugar.

If I remember correctly the Lipton Ice Teas are exactly the same. Part sugar, part Stevia.
Rather drink the zeros as they have no sugars. But watch the LIFE, that one is touted as stevia etc but has a high sugar content ( for us ).

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I mainly drink water nowdays, find that any carbonated drink gives me bloat. If I have, it's mainly for mixing with rum etc ( which is also LC fyi :D )

Stuey74

Busy working my way through this thread, might take a while but glad I found it. Thought I would post my story quickly.

Been following the LCHF/Banting lifestyle for 9 months now, started at 109kg and 42" trousers, now at 81kg and 34" trousers that are getting a bit loose. Weight and size loss has been consistent across the 9 months, slowing a little now as I get closer to my goal.

Have found some great sites for recipes and supplies and have come up with some interesting meals that I would never have considered before. Done a lot of reading and experimenting and have a good idea of what works for me, what doesn't and how to get back on track if I have a cheat (mostly work related events!).

Will preach to anyone who listens about the lifestyle, have a couple of friends also on it so I have results to talk about, not just anecdotal evidence.

@Stuey74 , well done !

I have found that each persons body is different so their tolerances for all kinds of things are different. Some poeple can eat more carbs without affecting ketosis. I have also learned over the last 18 months, how my body works. It has been an amazing journey and has seriously changed my life. I am in the best shape ever and I never thought I could be in as good shape as I am now.

Has anyone been making their own homemade chocolate?

I have tried and I have success but not perfect. Yet. I was wondering what sweetners you have been trying?

Yeah IF for me made a massive difference. I am now doing 24 hour fasts 6 days a week, steady weight loss of about 2.5kg a week. I'm not saying 24 hour is best, its just the way I like doing it. I have a BC at about 6am then i am good to go till supper at about 7pm.

Was doing 18 hour fasts for a month before I moved to 24 hours. The first week I felt a bit light headed but turns out taking some Magnesium and omega in the morning fixed this.

good luck with the diet!
So I did 1 month of intermittent fasting and I only lost about 1.5kg. :( But still good since I plateaued abit. yesterday was the first day I tried your routine. I had coffee at 7.30 am then a bullet tea at 11 am then I at at about 6.30pm. I wasn't sure I was going to make it but it turned out not that bad and I can see one can do this relatively easily.

I was just wondering, do you do this on days you do sport?

Kosmik

Honorary Master

I have tried and I have success but not perfect. Yet. I was wondering what sweetners you have been trying?
I just nibble on 70%+ cocoa chocolate bits, or the caring candies range. Once you used to bitterness, it has so much more flavor than commercial milk chocolates.

So I did 1 month of intermittent fasting and I only lost about 1.5kg. :( But still good since I plateaued abit. yesterday was the first day I tried your routine. I had coffee at 7.30 am then a bullet tea at 11 am then I at at about 6.30pm. I wasn't sure I was going to make it but it turned out not that bad and I can see one can do this relatively easily.

Not a sports person but I take a omega 3 sup every morning and a diet whey shake as well to ensure I get any vits and mins I need that might be lost by what I eat or abstain from eating.

Stuey74

I melt Caring Candies chocolate off cuts and then dip Woolworths carb clever bars in it and let them set. Quite a nice snack.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
@Kosmik and the rest of the day? You only eat 1 proper meal a day?
Pretty much. My lunch is normally a light salad with bits of left over protein ( some chicken etc but small amounts ). Supper is a main meal consisting of protein and a large amount of veg ( 1/4 and 3/4), veg is normally at least double the size of the protein. If I snack inbetween it's generally high fat foods like nuts , cheese and cherry tomatoes etc.

I do keto which is very low carb but I also balance my macros in the day so if I feel like something somewhere I shift elsewhere. Weekends I might switch meals around, have a better lunch and a light supper , or eliminate lunch altogether and have a meal. If you are burning fuel with sport, look at maybe high fat nutrient dense snacks prior: nuts and cheeses.

Jakkels1991

Yeah only eating once a day seems daunting but its pretty easy, especially if you are well fat adapted. Did you only drop 1.5kg for the month or the week?

I am also not really working out or doing any sport so I can help here. This was actually the reason I initially looked at IF as I am not really active pretty much sit for 12-15 hours a day.

Jakkels1991

I melt Caring Candies chocolate off cuts and then dip Woolworths carb clever bars in it and let them set. Quite a nice snack.
Caring candies choc with toffee is my go to. Pitty they are R17 each... Spent R400 on them this weekend. I go once and stock up for the month