RedViking

Nord of the South
Seeing that there is a lot of discussion and questions around batteries for inverter and solar setups, I thought a dedicated thread is a good idea. This will help to keep the inverters threads focused on the inverters and finding information, prices, stock and general discussion and suggestion for batteries easier.

If you have inverter specific questions, please check out the other threads.

1582534669584.png

Naks

Executive Member
Great timing for this thread!

My Deltec Lead-Crystal batteries (100Ah) are finally starting to give up after 5 years.

Typically this system runs 2 computers, DSTV, AVR, TV, coffee machine, garage door, a few lights, etc. If we're still sleeping, the aircon runs on that too.

Performance has been excellent until December, when I asked the electrician to put the coffee machine on the inverter circuit, and they also mistakenly put the whole kitchen circuit on it, including the fridge and wine fridge. Since then the inverter shows a 'Low Voltage' error barely 1 hour into load-shedding.

He's coming back to remove the fridges from the inverter circuit, but I think the damage is done already.

I would like to replace with the same, but Deltec doesn't import these any more.

I'm getting differing recommendations from retailers: 1 local company recommends either Victron AGM, or a Lead Calcium option; Deltec also recommend their own AGM; and one online store recommends the Discover EV Traction Dry cell.

Interested to see what you would recommend?

Neuk_

Executive Member

My Deltec Lead-Crystal batteries (100Ah) are finally starting to give up after 5 years.

Typically this system runs 2 computers, DSTV, AVR, TV, coffee machine, garage door, a few lights, etc. If we're still sleeping, the aircon runs on that too.

Performance has been excellent until December, when I asked the electrician to put the coffee machine on the inverter circuit, and they also mistakenly put the whole kitchen circuit on it, including the fridge and wine fridge. Since then the inverter shows a 'Low Voltage' error barely 1 hour into load-shedding.

He's coming back to remove the fridges from the inverter circuit, but I think the damage is done already.

I would like to replace with the same, but Deltec doesn't import these any more.

I'm getting differing recommendations from retailers: 1 local company recommends either Victron AGM, or a Lead Calcium option; Deltec also recommend their own AGM; and one online store recommends the Discover EV Traction Dry cell.

My girlfriend bought four OmniPower 12V 120Ah OPR Deep Cycle Rechargeable AGM / GEL Hybrid VRLA batteries for our home inverter/UPS setup but we only had them installed a few weeks back so I can't comment on their performance just yet. Had it been me making the purchase and I was looking at Gel or AGM type batteries I would look at the Enertec or Discover options as a good friend is one of the owners of Enertec.

Mars

Honorary Master

Personally I like the Discover range, but honestly AGM is AGM. You will probably get the same kind of mileage out of all the quality brands. The other option is to go the SMF range, like the Enertec pictured above. They probably wont last as long but they cost less, so you will get similar value out of them.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
My batteries are still firing on all cells, I would recommend them to everyone, Ennertec and Duracell sets, I am slowly approaching 5 years now.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Personally I like the Discover range, but honestly AGM is AGM. You will probably get the same kind of mileage out of all the quality brands. The other option is to go the SMF range, like the Enertec pictured above. They probably wont last as long but they cost less, so you will get similar value out of them.

I have heard that AGM is not always AGM and some companies like to embellish their rated specifications but I have no first hand experience.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
It term of pricing and brand perception Omnipower is up there, wish I could get my hands on two 240ah, I would be unstoppable.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I have heard that AGM is not always AGM and some companies like to embellish their rated specifications but I have no first hand experience.
AGM should always be AGM, it is the quality that would differ, just like in flooded LA, unless someone is brave enough to put an AGM label on a non AGM battery.

Neuk_

Executive Member
AGM should always be AGM, it is the quality that would differ, just like in flooded LA, unless someone is brave enough to put an AGM label on a non AGM battery.

As an example, the batteries that my girlfriend bought, are they gel or AGM? As I understand it, gel is not AGM and vice versa but the Omnipowers we have are labelled as both.

Mars

Honorary Master
I have seen some batteries from china with every technology possible listed on the label. We even cut one open once and the plates where half the size they where supposed to be. People have imported some dodgy **** over the years and put even dodgier labels on them.

Thats why I say Quality brands: Raylite, Exide, Enertec, Energizer, Deltec, Varta, Probe.

Mars

Honorary Master
As an example, the batteries that my girlfriend bought, are they gel or AGM? As I understand it, gel is not AGM and vice versa but the Omnipowers we have are labelled as both.
People mix the two because in the AGM the electrolyte is held in place by the matting, whereas with gel they may use something else to hold the electrolyte. They may also use AGM tho. Gel talks to the electrolyte and AGM is the construction of the battery. They are not automatically the same thing, tho a battery may be both.
Usually tho, if a battery has gel its called a gel battery, not an AGM.

There are some trade-offs tho, Gel does not have the power delivery of an AGM, but tends to cycle better.

Neuk_

Executive Member
People mix the two because in the AGM the electrolyte is held in place by the matting, whereas with gel they may use something else to hold the electrolyte. They may also use AGM tho. Gel talks to the electrolyte and AGM is the construction of the battery. They are not automatically the same thing, tho a battery may be both.

Thanks.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
It is apparently some Gel and AGM hybrid, using technologies from both to build the mother of all lead acid batteries.

Here's the data sheet.

Attachments

• OmniPower-OPR-Battery-2018.pdf
    358.2 KB · Views: 39

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

that is very strange that Deltec is not importing these anymore, we bought smaller ones from them just the other day.
Otherwise try Zeke over at Sustainable.co.za
very clued up man

sales@sustainable.co.za