The best and worst telecoms operators in SA

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
TBH, basing this kind of thing on HelloPeter statistics is not a great start, since like in the article companies who pay to "respond" are also removed from the "most complained about" list...

I'm very def not a fan of HelloPeter after I found out how their business model works, its borderline extortion in my books.

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
  1. It is interesting to note that Neotel has gone from having the highest complaints/compliments ratio, to the highest number of complaints per 1000 subscribers.

that is the core finding. please take note people.

superskully

Expert Member
The second table is not useful as i bet more than half of MTN and VC subscribers are not in use.

Johand

Expert Member
This is a recurring problem. I like MyBB but putting the number of subscribers against HelloPeter statistics are flawed. I am not going to give all the points again. But lets change the last table from "Complaints per 1000 subscribers" to "Compliments per 1000 subscribers" and suddenly the entire is reversed and Neotel looks best and Vodacom looks worst.

It is a ridiculous analysis.

PLEASE. STOP. THAT. This is FABRICATING RESULTS and not real reporting. Report the HelloPeter results. Report the subscriber figures. But don't combine them. Don't publish original research if your methodology is seriously flawed.

Previous thread can be found here. http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/archive/index.php/t-345813.html?.

recre8

Companies have to pay Hello Peter to respond
I would not pay Hello Peter
So the companies have to pay a fee to be able to respond. Doesn't sound like extortion. Or at least, not to me, because I don't own a business.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
So the companies have to pay a fee to be able to respond. Doesn't sound like extortion. Or at least, not to me, because I don't own a business.
Ok, let me paint a picture for you...

I go post a lot of negative stuff about a company on hellopeter.. all of it complete bollocks...

The only way the company can respond or deal with it, is to pay Hello Peter...

krono9

For me comparing anything about compliments is ridiculous... How many people actually submit a compliment if everything is working..

recre8

I go post a lot of negative stuff about a company on hellopeter.. all of it complete bollocks...

Have you actually checked how much it costs to respond?

There is an annual registration, set-up and admin. fee payable by EVERY Company Who Responds to reports. The annual fee is R375.00 plus VAT (Total: R427.50 per annum). Companies are also charged an Annual Response Fee according to the number of reports currently on the site about the company.

Companies with less than 4 reports pay no annual response fee. Only the annual registration fee.
If I ran a company I'd rather pay a minuscule amount to HelloPeter and restore my company's image than lose 10 times as much to bad word-of-mouth. I think HP is invaluable to consumers though. If I were a business owner on the other hand, I guess its a lot harder to have bad service because of HelloPeter.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Its still borderline extortion in my opinion, even if its costs R10.

But you're missing the "annual response fee", which I've seen can be quite hectic...

Durandal

Expert Member

What he said. And if you're concerned about your company's image, you'll of course want to be able to give your side of the story (especially if the complaint has been somewhat exaggerated, as many are, or possibly even completely invalid) - and for that you have to pay what I think was a pretty high amount. Pay to clear your name, so to speak.

sanimoyo

I understand hellopeter has to make money but the only way it would be fair was for the general public including every company representative to be able to comment on every complaint. Charging a fee is well, extortion.

markings

Expert Member

There is an annual registration, set-up and admin. fee payable by EVERY Company Who Responds to reports. The annual fee is R375.00 plus VAT (Total: R427.50 per annum). Companies are also charged an Annual Response Fee according to the number of reports currently on the site about the company.

Companies with less than 4 reports pay no annual response fee. Only the annual registration fee.
That is not the only cost which accrues.

How to respond
■Each report MUST be addressed within Three Business Hours both as a Supplier's Response on Hellopeter.com and by email / telephone directly to the customer.
■Each Supplier's Response to a Complaint on Hellopeter.com must be Updated Within 36 Hours providing resolution / solution / final outcome.
■Failure to comply will result in the Company being removed from the list of Companies Who Respond
That means that one has to constantly watch what is going on and has to drop anything one is busy with.
Besides, the "Annual Response Fee according to the number of reports currently on the site" is unspecified. IIRC total fees for large retailers ran into 10000's of Rand.

zamicro

Expert Member
This is just another example that statistics can prove any point you want to make.

Bern

Expert Member
This is a recurring problem. I like MyBB but putting the number of subscribers against HelloPeter statistics are flawed. I am not going to give all the points again. But lets change the last table from "Complaints per 1000 subscribers" to "Compliments per 1000 subscribers" and suddenly the entire is reversed and Neotel looks best and Vodacom looks worst.

It is a ridiculous analysis.

PLEASE. STOP. THAT. This is FABRICATING RESULTS and not real reporting. Report the HelloPeter results. Report the subscriber figures. But don't combine them. Don't publish original research if your methodology is seriously flawed.

Previous thread can be found here. http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/archive/index.php/t-345813.html?.
+1000 for more ridiculous so called "stats" - there are so many flaws here it is crazy!! Firstly, HelloPeter is an online service, so only active internet users are likely to use this, therefore if you want to compare it to a user base you have to try compare it to the active internet (as in who would actually use HelloPeter) users per company. Then it is a complaints site, so compliments mean nothing in this context as not many people would bother. Then companies have to pay to respond?!? You can't expect meaningful stats seriously!

If I ran a company I'd rather pay a minuscule amount to HelloPeter and restore my company's image than lose 10 times as much to bad word-of-mouth. I think HP is invaluable to consumers though. If I were a business owner on the other hand, I guess its a lot harder to have bad service because of HelloPeter.
Its still borderline extortion in my opinion, even if its costs R10.

But you're missing the "annual response fee", which I've seen can be quite hectic...
Interesting on the "annual response fee" - anyone able to give us some actual figures in this regard?

eshwar

Uh those subscriber numbers for MTN Vodacom, 20 and 32 million respectively, doesn't make too much sense. We're not really a dual sim loving country and bringing cell c in we have a total of 59 million subscribers for a population of 50 million if I remember well. That doesn't sound very right. Given that we don't have 100% of our population with phones. Those 20 and 32 have to be old numbers or they include other countries. Which makes it unfair.

The article title should also be the best worst operators on Hello Peter. There's millions who don't know and don't have access to the site and it biases the stats significantly. Even today, more of the subscribers don't know it than those who do! But what if we knew how many were on the Internet? Assuming all of those knew about hello peter. We still can't get a reliable estimate of how they were divided across the networks. And we then end up where this article started being criticised!

Sinbad

Honorary Master
There are sim cards embedded into loads of devices that could be counted as subscribers but don't tie in to a person. Think intelligent traffic lights, vehicle tracking, smart electric meters, etc...