The Brexit Thread

JayM

Expert Member
The deal excludes all services, including financial (>80% of the economy). How can they possibly be declaring victory over this? It destroys the only thing the UK is any good at.

Dave

Honorary Master
The deal excludes all services, including financial (>80% of the economy). How can they possibly be declaring victory over this? It destroys the only thing the UK is any good at.

I think services could be included, but that is just going by snippets, the devil will be in the detail when the full wording is published.

• The agreement covers not just trade in goods and services, but also a broad range of other areas in the EU's interest, such as investment, competition, State aid, tax transparency, air and road transport, energy and sustainability, fisheries, data protection, and social security coordination.

Service suppliers or investors from the EU are treated no less favourably than UK operators in the UK, and vice-versa

JayM

Expert Member

krycor

Honorary Master

If the pandemic is over & you working in IT in banking/payments/crypto, get your passports ready guys, we moving to Netherlands/Belgium

It’s like I predicted, they lost a chunk of their cake and they may lose more in future if their political parties try to subsidies any industry too.

But hey at least they have their fish.. guess they love fish & chips.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
There are a lot of technicalities to work out.

Attachments

• eu-uk_trade_and_cooperation_agreement-a_new_relationship_with_big_changes-brochure (1).pdf
    263.5 KB · Views: 2

Vorastra

Executive Member
Funny how people are belittling the fishery aspect, yet it held up both sides until the last minute.
Maybe it's not as small as you all pretend to want it to be.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Funny how people are belittling the fishery aspect, yet it held up both sides until the last minute.
Indeed it isn't. It's even one of the main points on the EU documentation posted earlier.

Markd

Expert Member
I can't see how this is going to be a good thing for the UK. At it's core I think the worlds former colonisers were just a bit sick and tired of all the polish people flooding in and taking seats at the NHS - like a sort of inherent xenophobia. It's not like the masses sat down and carefully weighed the pro's and con's of leaving Europe. The problem is that now that they've left the EU, there will still be lots of foreigners coming in, except now from Pakistan, India - other former commonwealth countries - to do the jobs that need doing on the farms. I predict that in a year or two Joe Public will start bitching that "this wasn't what they voted for" and that they want to go back because it wasn't that bad afterall.

Aside from this, they would have had access to some incredible talent readily from the EU. Now there is a new visa system etc. What a mess. This plus the recession they are hitting I think deter me from going back to the UK now. I lived there for a while and I loved it, but geez, it just sort of feels different now.

The Voice

Honorary Master
I can't see how this is going to be a good thing for the UK. At it's core I think the worlds former colonisers were just a bit sick and tired of all the polish people flooding in and taking seats at the NHS - like a sort of inherent xenophobia. It's not like the masses sat down and carefully weighed the pro's and con's of leaving Europe. The problem is that now that they've left the EU, there will still be lots of foreigners coming in, except now from Pakistan, India - other former commonwealth countries - to do the jobs that need doing on the farms. I predict that in a year or two Joe Public will start bitching that "this wasn't what they voted for" and that they want to go back because it wasn't that bad afterall.

Aside from this, they would have had access to some incredible talent readily from the EU. Now there is a new visa system etc. What a mess. This plus the recession they are hitting I think deter me from going back to the UK now. I lived there for a while and I loved it, but geez, it just sort of feels different now.
I think you've kind of hit the nail on the head, re: Poland. Not so much that their people coming here was the problem, but that it marked the start of the poorer Eastern Bloc countries joining the EU, which I think ultimately was the beginning of the end for the EU. Even Turkey has been banging on the door for years, and will eventually be a member.

The new immigration system doesn't just swing open the doors for everyone from the sub continent, or the rest of the world either. There are still hundreds of thousands of EU nationals who will continue living and working here (Home Office has been hammered because of people applying for permanent residency) - it's not like we're going to just start kicking people out.

Yup, Remainers only really think of everything in terms of economic contribution, numbers on an Excel spreadsheet but it goes much deeper than that - the 'politics of community and place' as it called. This article perfectly captures the divergent views of fishing. And yes, the French were particularly driving a hard bargain re fishing despite UK Remainers continually belittling the UK coastal communities.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Yup, Remainers only really think of everything in terms of economic contribution, numbers on an Excel spreadsheet but it goes much deeper than that - the 'politics of community and place' as it called. This article perfectly captures the divergent views of fishing. And yes, the French were particularly driving a hard bargain re fishing despite UK Remainers continually belittling the UK coastal communities.
Do you think it's a good deal for the UK, Chris?

Dave

Honorary Master
The problem is that now that they've left the EU, there will still be lots of foreigners coming in, except now from Pakistan, India - other former commonwealth countries - to do the jobs that need doing on the farms.

Doubt it, if there's one thing the more xenophobic Brexiters dislike more than Eastern Europeans it's those of a dusky hue, whether "jungle bunnies" from "BongoBongo land" with "watermelon smiles" or "letter boxes" and "sand peasants" with a religion of "mainly sex offenders".

Plans are already being made to allow the Eastern Europeans to still pick the farms.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Doubt it, if there's one thing the more xenophobic Brexiters dislike more than Eastern Europeans it's those of a dusky hue, whether "jungle bunnies" from "BongoBongo land" with "watermelon smiles" or "letter boxes" and "sand peasants" with a religion of "mainly sex offenders".

Plans are already being made to allow the Eastern Europeans to still pick the farms.

One of the "advantages" of continuing to hire Eastern Europeans is that they're probably more likely to go back home when they've made their money. People from India, Pakistan, etc - wouldn't bet on it.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
One of the "advantages" of continuing to hire Eastern Europeans is that they're probably more likely to go back home when they've made their money. People from India, Pakistan, South Africa, etc - wouldn't bet on it.
FTFY - also, not sure why you think Eastern Europeans are more likely to go back home?

access

Honorary Master
FTFY - also, not sure why you think Eastern Europeans are more likely to go back home?

when i was there, polish men went there to work 2 or 3 jobs a day for a few months and sent all the money home to their families.

The Voice

Honorary Master
when i was there, polish men went there to work 2 or 3 jobs a day for a few months and sent all the money home to their families.
The vast majority of them do it, yes, especially the Romanians. They have no issue coming over here, cramming into a house with 30 other people so their living expenses are almost nothing, working for a while, saving their arses off, and then going home eventually with a lot of cash in hand (exchange rate is a healthy 5:1 because they don't have the Euro).