The Brexit Thread

access

Honorary Master
The vast majority of them do it, yes, especially the Romanians. They have no issue coming over here, cramming into a house with 30 other people so their living expenses are almost nothing, working for a while, saving their arses off, and then going home eventually with a lot of cash in hand (exchange rate is a healthy 5:1 because they don't have the Euro).

yeah the one guy i spoke to on the tube kept going on about the pound and how they all come there for the pound. even made fun of the eu arrangement because it allows them all entry to the uk and to send pounds home. a few years later a friend of mine who was in construction was complaining about the poor eu countrymen taking up "his" contract work, yes he was foreign(rsa) himself... lol.

a lot of them in trouble now because of that contract work tax thingy that was brought up recently..

The Voice

Honorary Master
yeah the one guy i spoke to on the tube kept going on about the pound and how they all come there for the pound. even made fun of the eu arrangement because it allows them all entry to the uk and to send pounds home. a few years later a friend of mine who was in construction was complaining about the poor eu countrymen taking up "his" contract work, yes he was foreign(rsa) himself... lol.

a lot of them in trouble now because of that contract work tax thingy that was brought up recently..
I35, etc. Yeah, pretty much put a hold on me going into contract work in IT, too. Before that, people were making a killing from contracting.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Yup, Remainers only really think of everything in terms of economic contribution, numbers on an Excel spreadsheet but it goes much deeper than that - the 'politics of community and place' as it called. This article perfectly captures the divergent views of fishing. And yes, the French were particularly driving a hard bargain re fishing despite UK Remainers continually belittling the UK coastal communities.

This isn't the argument you'd be making at all if the economic case made any sense at all.

And you'd absolutely not treat it as a valid argument if you were on the other side of the issue.

buka001

Honorary Master
Reading all the fiercely penned letters to government from various fisheries in the UK complaining about their consignments being stuck in ports and wasting, due to paperwork issues, wondering to myself ... who could have predicted this?

Or the complaints from people ordering clothes, but due to rule of origins, getting slapped with customs duties.

Or the guy who voted for Brexit, who sells eels to the EU, realising that due to the deal his eels cost more and subsequently his EU customers are dropping him and resorting to local EU suppliers rather.

Let's see what next week brings ...

Dave

Honorary Master
Oh yes, and a little more “Project Fear™” nonsense. Someone should remind these ungrateful people they can now have a blue black passport.

Fishing exporters told Reuters their businesses could become unviable after the introduction of health certificates, customs declarations and other paperwork added days to their delivery times and hundreds of pounds to the cost of each load.

Business owners said they had tried to send small deliveries to France and Spain to test the new systems this week but it was taking five hours to secure a health certificate in Scotland, a document which is required to apply for other customs paperwork.

In the first working week after Brexit, one-day deliveries were taking three or more days - if they got through at all.

Owners could not say for sure where their valuable cargo was. A trade group told boats to stop fishing exported stocks.

“Our customers are pulling out,” Santiago Buesa of SB Fish told Reuters. “We are fresh product and the customers expect to have it fresh, so they’re not buying. It’s a catastrophe.”

On Thursday evening, the Scottish fishing industry’s biggest logistics provider DFDS Scotland told customers it had taken the “extraordinary step” of halting until Monday export groupage, when multiple product lines are carried, to try to fix IT issues, paperwork errors and the backlog.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Dutch police have been confiscating truck drivers' lunches if they contain products of animal origin.

Some weird EU law from 2001 that came about because of foot and mouth disease where animal products (meat and dairy) from outside of the union cannot be brought into it.