The Brexit Thread

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

buka001

Honorary Master
Confiscating trucker's lunches is stupid.
It is a stupid EU law.

Laws need to surf a purpose, whomever read that and decided to implement it again is also stupid.

This is a great reason for leaving in the first place. The EU is full of unelected bureaucrats that have no idea what they are doing.
Trying to prevent a disease entering your country and wiping out a large portion of your livestock from dying out, is not stupid.

buka001

Honorary Master
I remember in the early 2000's, the police in SA stopped you when crossing the border between Eastern Cape and Free State and confiscated any pork products due to an outbreak.

Confiscating food products is not a "stupid law".

Dave

Honorary Master
Trying to prevent a disease entering your country and wiping out a large portion of your livestock from dying out, is not stupid.

Dont tell him that in Oz and NZ not only do they confiscate your meat sandwich (or even your apple) they the also give you a $200-$400 fine (payable on the spot) on top of the confiscation.

The Voice

Honorary Master
To be honest, I'm all for stopping a butcher's truck at the border. But taking away someone's lunch that's intended for personal consumption IS a bit of a pisstake and probably just the Dutch trying to be difficult at this point.

Vorastra

Expert Member
And yet just 13 days ago, that same sandwich would be fine.
Nothing has changed for the UK, standards-wise.
The UK still maintains its standards in line with EU standards.

But continue to type nonsensical things.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
To be honest, I'm all for stopping a butcher's truck at the border. But taking away someone's lunch that's intended for personal consumption IS a bit of a pisstake and probably just the Dutch trying to be difficult at this point.

Eat faster

Jissie, I remember how fast the 'gluttons' used to finish sandwiches when they stole someone's lunch at school

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
And yet just 13 days ago, that same sandwich would be fine.
Nothing has changed for the UK, standards-wise.
The UK still maintains its standards in line with EU standards.

But continue to type nonsensical things.

When new rules are put in place it's best to enforce them immediately lest people don't take them seriously.

That said, they're probably just being bastards - there is a particular class of Brit (y'know, the ones who won't put up with the foreign muck you get served in Europe and who believe that if you shout really loud Johnny Foreigner will understand you) who has never been liked on the continent.

Brexit reaping what it sowed.

Vorastra

Expert Member
When new rules are put in place it's best to enforce them immediately lest people don't take them seriously.

That said, they're probably just being bastards - there is a particular class of Brit (y'know, the ones who won't put up with the foreign muck you get served in Europe and who believe that if you shout really loud Johnny Foreigner will understand you) who has never been liked on the continent.

Brexit reaping what it sowed.

Cool, another person who doesn't understand what Brexit and the EU are.

This is purely being done to be petty. There is no reason for this to be done. The EU knows the UK aligns with its standards, it's literally a point in the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement, but yet they insist on enforcing arbitrary rubbish like this to, in part, make people like you go "haha look, teehee". It's public perception, and clearly, looking at you and @buka001, it works hook, line, and sinker.

From the EU's Q&A section:

Sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures are a set of rules defined by the importing party necessary for the protection of human and animal health (“sanitary”) and plant health (“phytosanitary”). EU law includes detailed SPS rules to ensure high levels of food safety, and reduce or eliminate possible health threats to EU citizens, as well as to animals and plants in the EU. This also includes high standards on matters such as the use of hormones or genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

There will be no changes to these food safety standards and the Trade and Cooperation Agreement will safeguard the EU's high levels of SPS standards.

The UK is part of the SPS standards scheme.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Cool, another person who doesn't understand what Brexit and the EU are.

This is purely being done to be petty. There is no reason for this to be done. The EU knows the UK aligns with its standards, it's literally a point in the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement added, but they will enforce arbitrary rubbish like this to make people like you go "haha look, teehee". It's public perception, and clearly, looking at you and @buka001, it works hook, line, and sinker.

From the EU's Q&A section:

The UK is part of the SPS standards scheme.

Dude, I said they're just being bastards

I would too if I was European and the UK had just spent 4 years telling me to F.ck Off

Vorastra

Expert Member
Dude, I said they're just being bastards

I would too if I was European and the UK had just spent 4 years telling me to F.ck Off
You said they're "probably" being. I'm telling you that they are.

But remember, the EU likes to call the UK "their friends" and are "sad to see them go".

Nice friends. It sends the message: if you try to leave, we'll fek with you. "Friendly" EU.

The EU is just a malicious bloc. It's my malicious bloc, but still malicious.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
You said they're "probably" being. I'm telling you that they are.

But remember, the EU likes to call the UK "their friends" and are "sad to see them go".

Nice friends. It sends the message: if you try to leave, we'll fek with you. "Friendly" EU.

The EU is just a malicious bloc. It's my malicious bloc, but still malicious.

Fair enough. I did say 'probably'

Ja, sjoe, exes are bastards hey, sign the divorce papers and a couple of months later it's back in court for non-payment or more money...

I mean really, you really expect the EU to bend over and take it lubeless after they did everything to keep them in?

Nah, life doesn't work that way unless you're a simp like 'ol Ted Cruz over in the US of A

Vorastra

Expert Member
I mean really, you really expect the EU to bend over and take it lubeless after they did everything to keep them in?
Read my reply above, and you should have the answer to this already.
You're painting the EU as a victim when they're not. They're flexing because they know they can, and to keep the other member states in line.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Read my reply above, and you should have the answer to this already.
You're painting the EU as a victim when they're not. They're flexing because they know they can, and to keep the other member states in line.

and so they should - it's their raison d'etre

Dave

Honorary Master

The Voice

Honorary Master
Bro people's sandwiches got taken away. This is a genuine crisis. We don't need your sarcasm during this humanitarian disaster.

/s
Not just sandwiches: now also oranges - from Spain, nogal. The Dutch clearly are doing this as a wind-up now.