The Brexit Thread

Dave

Honorary Master
@AdrianH

You want a fun fact that the Brexiters don’t want you to know?

The UK net contributions to the EU was £156 billion from 1973 till 2018 ie. 47 YEARS worth.

Brexit has cost the UK around £130 billion from 2016 till 2019, ie just 3 years. The estimate is a cost of £200 billion at the end of 2020.

Brexit is quite the bargain, isn’t it? and makes the NHS money (which was a lie) look like small change...

Last edited:

AdrianH

Expert Member
Except we don’t.

I was being sarcastic :p

@AdrianH

You want a fun fact that the Brexiters don’t want you to know?

The UK net contributions to the EU was £156 billion from 1973 till 2018 ie. 47 YEARS worth.

Brexit has cost the UK around £130 billion from 2016 till 2019, ie just 3 years. The estimate is a cost of £200 billion at the end of 2020.

Brexit is quite the bargain, isn’t it? and makes the NHS money (which was a lie) look like small change...

That article from over a year ago is presuming the reason for the negative GDP growth rate from 2016 to 2018, excluding the positive GDP growth rate of 2019. It basically used the UK vs G7 GDP growth rate history saying the GDPs of G7 nations and UK have diverged since referendum which is partly true but doesn't mention that over the last 10 years, the UK and G7 have diverged and crossed each other 8 times. Also, what it also fails to mention is that after the referendum in 2016, the UK's GDP growth rate was positive trend for 12 months before declining mid-2017. In fact, the UK has a negative GDP growth rate since the 2008 financial crisis.

Fortunately 2019 saw the UK have a positive GDP growth rate, and the UK started gaining ground back on the other G7 nations, but then everything went to crap 2020 and will be for next few years. UK had one of the worst affected economies due to Covid-19.

PS: I am not saying there is not an negative impact due to Brexit but to me it seems certain articles/people/media outlets want to manipulate or cherry pick numbers and figures to make it look as worse as possible.

PSS: I hope you're looking after yourself and being careful. New record of 1500+ deaths yesterday and still 45000+ new cases. Whatever our differences on Brexit is, Covid-19 doesn't care!

Last edited:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
lol.

AN Oxfordshire MP has revealed she could not read the UK-EU agreement on fishing as it came in, her Government responsibility, because she was ‘busy organising a nativity trail’

Victoria Prentis, the MP for Banbury, is also a Government minister for fisheries and farming.

Dave

Honorary Master
lol.

A bit like Farage who was always going on and on about fishing, yet couldn’t be bothered to attend the European Parliament Fisheries committee that he was a member of for three years, only attended ONE committee meeting out of 42 held.

He didn’t mind the salary for being an MEP though (or demanding an MEP pension now that Brexit has happened).

AdrianH

Expert Member
lol.

Whats annoying as that it would seem the majority of these high ranking politicians have total arrogant "do as I say, not as I do" and "FU peasant" attitude.

I see Boris got bust 7 miles from home riding his bike. First they said it's fine because they said "it's local if you exercise from and back to your front door" but then this was state...

But they appeared to hint that the PM had made the trip to the park by car, stressing that local exercise did not necessarily mean starting from your front door.

and it seems they don't want to clarify any further. And then you get this BS...

Mr Malthouse said Boris Johnson's bike ride to east London was within the rules, which say people can exercise but must do so in their local area.

But he said this may not always be the case, adding: "It depends where you are. Seven miles will be local in different areas and at different times."

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Whats annoying as that it would seem the majority of these high ranking politicians have total arrogant "do as I say, not as I do" and "FU peasant" attitude.

I see Boris got bust 7 miles from home riding his bike. First they said it's fine because they said "it's local if you exercise from and back to your front door" but then this was state...

and it seems they don't want to clarify any further. And then you get this BS...
Ya. Fairly comical squirming.

Dave

Honorary Master

Nothing in the law says you have to exercise within x miles in England. You are legally allowed to drive any distance (as long as you don’t cross into Wales or Scotland) to go exercise.

AdrianH

Expert Member
Nothing in the law says you have to exercise within x miles in England. You are legally allowed to drive any distance (as long as you don’t cross into Wales or Scotland) to go exercise.
Correct, it's the "local area" rule that is ambiguous though. Nobody seems to be able to define what local area actually means. Even the police are asking for clearer defined rules because even they are unsure when to fine a person.

Last edited:

buka001

Honorary Master
Who could have predicted this? Leaving a customs Union you have been apart for 40 odd years, brings in problems with trade ...

Brexit brings more Red Tape ... I thought the idea was to leave the EU because they could break free from this? Turns out you still need to abide by the Rules ... but now with additional issues.

buka001

Honorary Master
Cool, another person who doesn't understand what Brexit and the EU are.

This is purely being done to be petty. There is no reason for this to be done. The EU knows the UK aligns with its standards, it's literally a point in the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement, but yet they insist on enforcing arbitrary rubbish like this to, in part, make people like you go "haha look, teehee". It's public perception, and clearly, looking at you and @buka001, it works hook, line, and sinker.

From the EU's Q&A section:

The UK is part of the SPS standards scheme.
Did they have the relevant paperwork for those sandwiches to prove compliance with those standards, as required?

Yes they are being petty, but the law is the law, and the UK voted for this, so it is what it is.

buka001

Honorary Master
Another one reaping the rewards of the Brexit she voted for.

surface

Honorary Master
Another one reaping the rewards of the Brexit she voted for.

She seemed genuine though. “And for my grandchildren and their future, that’s why I voted out."

So, it was not like 'I didn't think it would affect "my" people' type of talk one sees on such stories

Dave

Honorary Master
Fisherman back on the BBC news at 6. Having a good cry about the deliveries to the EU taking 5 days and the product arriving dead.

Some of them are now refusing to go out and fish, others say they are going to start operating from EU ports.

What a joke this Brexit Fisheries crap is turning out to be.

buka001

Honorary Master
Fisherman back on the BBC news at 6. Having a good cry about the deliveries to the EU taking 5 days and the product arriving dead.

Some of them are now refusing to go out and fish, others say they are going to start operating from EU ports.

What a joke this Brexit Fisheries crap is turning out to be.
Things in the fishing industry are going very swimmingly with Brexit.

Warnings of this were drowned out as "Project Fear". Now MP'a are calling for a subsidy to help the fisherman ... strange that.