The Brexit Thread

Rosaudio

First Officer
Having lived in the UK for the entirety of the whole brexit debacle, all I can say is they deserve what's coming.

buka001

Honorary Master
I am sure the NHS cannot wait for the weekly £55 million that the UK is now saving, especially given that the UK currently has the highest per capita death rate from the coronavirus.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I am sure the NHS cannot wait for the weekly £55 million that the UK is now saving, especially given that the UK currently has the highest per capita death rate from the coronavirus.

That’s far too small a lie for Boris. Think big my friend.

krycor

Honorary Master
Who could have predicted this? Leaving a customs Union you have been apart for 40 odd years, brings in problems with trade ...

Brexit brings more Red Tape ... I thought the idea was to leave the EU because they could break free from this? Turns out you still need to abide by the Rules ... but now with additional issues.

Wait till they get going with services.. remember the EU rules mean they need to comply with EU standards (plus extra) and also be at a level playing field.

This boils down to either making a loss, devaluing currency, or devaluing workforce.. or all three. UK had a sweet deal and I think they slowly coming to terms with it.

Tourism loss will huge going forward too.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Wait till they get going with services.. remember the EU rules mean they need to comply with EU standards (plus extra) and also be at a level playing field.

This boils down to either making a loss, devaluing currency, or devaluing workforce.. or all three. UK had a sweet deal and I think they slowly coming to terms with it.

Tourism loss will huge going forward too.
Kind of weird to think that the UK didn't trade, bring in hundreds of thousands of tourists every year, have any migrant workers or probably even exist before 1 January 1973. The Kingdom truly is doomed!

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Kind of weird to think that the UK didn't trade, bring in hundreds of thousands of tourists every year, have any migrant workers or probably even exist before 1 January 1973. The Kingdom truly is doomed!

Not at the levels they do now (or did pre-covid)

The Voice

Honorary Master
Not at the levels they do now (or did pre-covid)
Clearly not. But the sentiment that the UK cannot possibly exist without the EU simply needs to be put to bed. That horse isn't just dead, it's been pounded into dust already. Time to stop flogging it?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Clearly not. But the sentiment that the UK cannot possibly exist without the EU simply needs to be put to bed. That horse isn't just dead, it's been pounded into dust already. Time to stop flogging it?

Who is saying this? Every person I've spoken to who is directly affected (ie lives in the UK) say that life will be more difficult, that they will have to work harder, and that they will be less well off than they were while the UK was part of the EU.

The idea that the UK cannot exist without the EU is patently nonsensical.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Who is saying this? Every person I've spoken to who is directly affected (ie lives in the UK) say that life will be more difficult, that they will have to work harder, and that they will be less well off than they were while the UK was part of the EU.

Glad you agree. Some of the posts in this thread alone would have had us believe that dragons were coming from the mainland to incinerate London on 1 January.

Yes, things will get a bit tough while everything is being ironed out, but the UK has been through far worse and come out the other end better off.

buka001

Honorary Master

Agreed.

The point is yes "life" will continue, but with added red tape, costs and delays. The benefits of which are still very much a unicorn at this stage.

Our current suppliers from the EU are transferring all the additional costs and admin onto us because of Brexit.

Currently in a big fight with one of our suppliers from France, who have simply thrown their hands in the air and said, its your material, you paid for it come and get it, we can't deal with the customs.

This is highly technical gear. It is a nightmare.

Source it in the UK? Lol we spent a year trying to assist a local supplier in Wales to gear up to this, but Brexit snagged them as well, as the raw materials come from the EU, so it became too costly for them as well and they washed their hands of it.

Up until the 31st of December, getting this equipment delivered was as easy as going onto Amazon and buying a book.

All this means is additional costs and delays ... all going to get paid one day by the taxpayers.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Agreed.

The point is yes "life" will continue, but with added red tape, costs and delays. The benefits of which are still very much a unicorn at this stage.

Our current suppliers from the EU are transferring all the additional costs and admin onto us because of Brexit.

Currently in a big fight with one of our suppliers from France, who have simply thrown their hands in the air and said, its your material, you paid for it come and get it, we can't deal with the customs.

This is highly technical gear. It is a nightmare.

Source it in the UK? Lol we spent a year trying to assist a local supplier in Wales to gear up to this, but Brexit snagged them as well, as the raw materials come from the EU, so it became too costly for them as well and they washed their hands of it.

Up until the 31st of December, getting this equipment delivered was as easy as going onto Amazon and buying a book.

All this means is additional costs and delays ... all going to get paid one day by the taxpayers.
Can't really comment on the IT industry, but we've shipped over 70% of our operations (Winter, Dev, DBA, etc) to India as of a year ago now.

buka001

Honorary Master
Can't really comment on the IT industry, but we've shipped over 70% of our operations (Winter, Dev, DBA, etc) to India as of a year ago now.
We are in a strange place in a sense.

Building a nuclear power station that is a 50/50 joint venture with a French company.

Many of the suppliers are vetted for supplying to a Nuclear power plant construction project are EU based because of their expertise in working on Flammanville in France. Contracts were signed way back before Brexit was even a word.

Soooo it complicates matters trying to get local suppliers vetted, especially when they still have to source materials from the EU anyway.

We have loads of local suppliers, but for the more intricate technical stuff, it has been challenging.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
This is purely being done to be petty. There is no reason for this to be done. The EU knows the UK aligns with its standards, it's literally a point in the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement, but yet they insist on enforcing arbitrary rubbish like this to, in part, make people like you go "haha look, teehee". It's public perception, and clearly, looking at you and @buka001, it works hook, line, and sinker.

Talking of petty, is this done to make people like you think "yes, get it up you Europe. Rule Britannia"?

Vorastra

Expert Member
Talking of petty, is this done to make people like you think "yes, get it up you Europe. Rule Britannia"?

Wait, are you moaning that the UK is being petty in retaliation to EU pettiness...?
Peak delusion.

Wait until you find out I'm an EU citizen who wants the EU to be held accountable for it's obvious hypocrisy.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Wait, are you moaning that the UK is being petty in retaliation to EU pettiness...?
Peak delusion.

So are you saying that the UK can be petty becasue the EU started it?

Wait until you find out I'm an EU citizen who wants the EU to be held accountable for it's obvious hypocrisy.

Fsck the EU. I'm a British citizen who wants Johnson and his fellow incompetent liars to be held accountable if this is the kind of "victory" we can expect from Brexit.