The Brexit Thread

Vorastra

Expert Member
So are you saying that the UK can be petty becasue the EU started it?
Thats how politics works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fsck the EU. I'm a British citizen who wants Johnson and his fellow incompetent liars to be held accountable if this is the kind of "victory" we can expect from Brexit.
lmao. How does it feel getting flexed on by the EU giant. Feels..petty, doesn't it.

Vorastra

Expert Member
Brexit itself feels petty in its entirety, pretending the EU 'started it' is laughable. The consequences are not petty though, as the uk is discovering...
I think the UK will be fine. The best thing about Brexit is that it's shown the EU leadership that they need to listen to member states more.

Literally the only reason I like Brexit.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I think the UK will be fine. The best thing about Brexit is that it's shown the EU leadership that they need to listen to member states more.

Literally the only reason I like Brexit.

This is a valid point.

I do wonder whether the EU would ever have learnt to listen otherwise...

Expensive price for the UK to pay for this lesson for the EU though

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Remember when the 'great and good' warned us that all the car manufacturers would pack up and leave?
Not really, I remember the opposite, warnings that the German car manufacturing industry would suffer as the UK is their biggest export market. I remember David Davis saying “Within minutes of a vote for Brexit the CEO’s of Mercedes, BMW, VW and Audi will be knocking down Chancellor Merkel’s door demanding that there be no barriers to German access to the British market,"
How devastating that another lie is exposed!

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Not really, I remember the opposite, warnings that the German car manufacturing industry would suffer as the UK is their biggest export market. I remember David Davis saying “Within minutes of a vote for Brexit the CEO’s of Mercedes, BMW, VW and Audi will be knocking down Chancellor Merkel’s door demanding that there be no barriers to German access to the British market,"

You'll get no balance from Chris. He is like an SS camp guard when it comes to kissing Boris' arse. Brexit is like a game of rugby to him and it's important his "team" wins regardless of the consequences.

Dave

Honorary Master
Talking of petty, is this done to make people like you think "yes, get it up you Europe. Rule Britannia"?

Typical little Englander Tory Brexiteer behaviour, tbh I wouldn’t really expect any different from them.

Dave

Honorary Master
You'll get no balance from Chris. He is like an SS camp guard when it comes to kissing Boris' arse. Brexit is like a game of rugby to him and it's important his "team" wins regardless of the consequences.

And as usual for Aussie_Chris, no actual link, just a screenshot of something he sees as confirmation of his view.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Remember when the 'great and good' warned us that all the car manufacturers would pack up and leave?

View attachment 998724

It was speculation. No-one can be sure which industries would be affected in what ways.
Unless of course they had factual numbers which they lied about, or lied about their intention with things under their control?

Just as with Trump's import duties, the individual wins and losses either side likes to broadcast and boast about doesn't really matter for those who are not directly affected. At the end of the day, the net effect of all the wins and losses combined is what counts.

What politicians also like doing is taking beneficial conditions from people who don't really matter to them, and give it to those that tend to vote for them. If the general populace is lucky, it will be better or the same overall instead of worse.

The Voice

Honorary Master

View attachment 998724
Nissan potentially closing it's plant in Sunderland didn't have much to do with Brexit, if I recall. It's where Jukes are made, but the briefing I read a couple of years ago said that there had been a massive downturn in sales across the auto industry and they were struggling to justify keeping it open. If they've started manufacturing other models there (I think they do Qashqais there too) then I can see how they could turn it around.

Tariffs post-Brexit, etc, are kind of just the icing on the cake.

Dave

Honorary Master
Nissan potentially closing it's plant in Sunderland didn't have much to do with Brexit, if I recall. It's where Jukes are made, but the briefing I read a couple of years ago said that there had been a massive downturn in sales across the auto industry and they were struggling to justify keeping it open. If they've started manufacturing other models there (I think they do Qashqais there too) then I can see how they could turn it around.

Tariffs post-Brexit, etc, are kind of just the icing on the cake.

Nissan closing Sunderland definitely had a Brexit angle, and it’s still not completely safe, no matter what Aussie_Chris’s screenshot is saying.

Nissan doesn’t only build Juke in Sunderland, it also builds EV’s (Leaf in current production, unconfirmed now if new Qashqai EV will still be built in Sunderland). EV Battery pack production is likely coming to Sunderland though.

Dave

Honorary Master
A bit more Project Fear™ that is unexpectedly coming true!

Britain’s online shoppers have expressed their dismay after been hit with unexpectedly high post-Brexit charges on items ordered from countries in the EU.

Consumers have been asked to pay up to one-third extra in customs duties, VAT and additional delivery charges once they arrive in the UK.

It comes as one UK retail boss said British firms were considering abandoning or even burning goods returned by their EU customers who are also unhappy about unexpected charges, due to the costs involved in bringing the items back to Britain.

One shopper, Ellie Huddleston from London, told the BBC she had been asked to pay out £140 in unexpected costs from couriers DPD and UPS after buying a coat and blouses from EU retailers at £380.

“I sent both back without paying the extra fees and won’t be ordering anything from Europe again any time soon,” said the 26-year-old.

Customers have complained that they are not being told by online retailers that they will be liable for the extra costs – forcing many to refuse to pay when delivery companies turn up at their door.

One British shopper was asked to pay £77 in extra charges on clothes costing £245 purchased from a French retailer.
Louisa Walters told The Times: “DPD offered me two options – pay the fees or return the package. There was no way I was paying £77 so I clicked to not accept the package. I was very disappointed.”

Some UK retailers said they were considering giving up on many of the goods which EU customers have asked be returned over the costs and paperwork involved in bringing them back into Britain.

Dave

Honorary Master
and another one

UK retailers are considering abandoning goods returned by EU customers, with some even thinking of burning them due to the cost and trouble of bringing them back into the country.

After the post-Brexit introduction of new paperwork and charges for goods crossing over the border, fashion industry boss Adam Mansell said it was “cheaper for retailers to write off the cost of the goods than dealing with it all”, adding the process includes at least four new charges and documents.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Nissan closing Sunderland definitely had a Brexit angle, and it’s still not completely safe, no matter what Aussie_Chris’s screenshot is saying.

Nissan doesn’t only build Juke in Sunderland, it also builds EV’s (Leaf in current production, unconfirmed now if new Qashqai EV will still be built in Sunderland). EV Battery pack production is likely coming to Sunderland though.
Yeah recall the bit about moving the EV production there, but Nissan has also been struggling as a brand worldwide for quite some time now. Hopefully they can keep it running.

That's close to your ends isn't it?