The Brexit Thread

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Cool, so you support the EU being pieces of shet. Glad to know.

seriously

The UK just took a huge dump on their dinner plate while sat at the EU table - why in heavens name wouldn't the EU behave that way?

You can bet your last Euro that exactly the same would have happened had the roles been reversed.

You're reminding me of the Republicans who, now, after everything has gone to hell in a handbasket, are calling for unity and bi partisanship all the while doggedly refusing to impeach or fire Donald Trump.

The UK is reaping what they sowed - they wanted a divorce but they still want conjugal benefits - it simply doesn't work that way.

It will take some time for a new relationship to develop, and quite frankly, I'd be surprised if the UK isn't knocking on the door for readmission in a decade or so.

Brexit was a monumental own goal - that said, the Remainers have to lump it with the Leavers and will therefore do the best they can to minimise the negative impact.

Sadly there's no place In their passports to show that they did not want to leave so they'll be treated as badly as any Leavers In Europe.

Quite frankly I'm amazed that you think that you can tell people to F.ck Off and then be hurt when they take offence and treat you badly.

I wish it wasn't so, I really do.

Dave

Honorary Master
Bought at Sainsburys, probably, with the rest of the truck driver's lunch. They're not native to our "sunny" isles.

You seem to have failed on how international food rules work then. There are no branches of Sainsbury’s in Spain, therefore the fruit didn't arrive from Spain. Its point of origin is the UK, which is now a third party country.

Where it was grown is entirely irrelevant, where it came from immediately before it arrived at Customs does.

Did you see my link to the apple causing a $500 fine on arrival in the USA? Even though it was a Delta flight and the apple might even have been grown in the US. Because it left and was returning it was prohibited.

These aren’t difficult concepts to understand, you know?

Dave

Honorary Master
The UK just took a huge dump on their dinner plate while sat at the EU table - why in heavens name wouldn't the EU behave that way?

Except the EU isn’t treating the UK in a bad way, it’s simply enforcing the rules that have applied to third party countries for decades.

The same rules would apply to a prohibited meat product from the USA, Australia or Russia.

The UK isn’t being singled out for bad treatment, it’s just having the same rules applied that apply to other non-EU countries, rules no one were claiming were unfair before the 1st Jan.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Except the EU isn’t treating the UK in a bad way, it’s simply enforcing the rules that have applied to third party countries for decades.

The same rules would apply to a prohibited meat product from the USA, Australia or Russia.

The UK isn’t being singled out for bad treatment, it’s just having the same rules applied that apply to other non-EU countries, rules no one were claiming were unfair before the 1st Jan.
But sandwiches...

Rosaudio

First Officer

But the UK deserves special treatment, how dare they enforce rules

The Voice

Honorary Master
Honest question, and just genuinely curious: now that Brexit is official, and we're out of the Union, why are people who have to live in the UK so keen for it to fail? Is it just so that they can say "I told you so"? Seems a bit counter-productive, doesn't it?

I mean, even the official opposition is starting to get on board because they've realised the race is over now.

Dave

Honorary Master
Honest question, and just genuinely curious: now that Brexit is official, and we're out of the Union, why are people who have to live in the UK so keen for it to fail?

I don’t think you understand the criticism, people aren’t being “keen for the UK to fail” but it is only right that all the lies and shouts of PROJECT FEAR that are are now being shown in the cold light of day need to be criticised and discussed.

Labour are still running a little scared of the racist and/or xenophobic voters in the north “red wall” that voted Brexit rather than Labour at the last election, so don’t want to be seen as too critical.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Honest question, and just genuinely curious: now that Brexit is official, and we're out of the Union, why are people who have to live in the UK so keen for it to fail? Is it just so that they can say "I told you so"? Seems a bit counter-productive, doesn't it?

I mean, even the official opposition is starting to get on board because they've realised the race is over now.

The people I know don't WANT it to fail - they recognise that's cutting off your nose to spite your face - they are however extremely bitter that they're having to live with the consequences of others bad decisions, and that Leavers will benefit from the effort they will have to put in to make this work.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I don’t think you understand the criticism, people aren’t being “keen for the UK to fail” but it is only right that all the lies and shouts of PROJECT FEAR that are are now being shown in the cold light of day need to be criticised and discussed.

Labour are still running a little scared of the racist and/or xenophobic voters in the north “red wall” that voted Brexit rather than Labour at the last election, so don’t want to be seen as too critical.

Leave campaign lied their way to victory abetted by a Labour Leader (Corbyn) who also wanted out of the EU.

Dave

Honorary Master
The people I know don't WANT it to fail - they recognise that's cutting off your nose to spite your face - they are however extremely bitter that they're having to live with the consequences of others bad decisions, and that Leavers will benefit from the effort they will have to put in to make this work.

We have to live with it, so it’s pretty stupid to even think we want the UK to fail. Apologies to TheVoice for being blunt, but it’s the truth.

The Voice

Honorary Master

Ah ok that makes a bit more sense then. Was genuinely asking because someone I work with said (literally) that he hopes the UK just sinks into the North Atlantic. He voted Remain and has been extremely salty for the last 4 years.

And re: Labour the supporters are having a go at Starmer now for going back on what he said about trying to renegotiate free movement if they get back into power. Even he's accepted it and wants to work towards making things better for us. Of course, it's probably just him to trying to pry away Tory votes, but who knows?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Ah ok that makes a bit more sense then. Was genuinely asking because someone I work with said (literally) that he hopes the UK just sinks into the North Atlantic. He voted Remain and has been extremely salty for the last 4 years.

And re: Labour the supporters are having a go at Starmer now for going back on what he said about trying to renegotiate free movement if they get back into power. Even he's accepted it and wants to work towards making things better for us. Of course, it's probably just him to trying to pry away Tory votes, but who knows?

Don't think it's fair to call him'salty' - salty is for things that don't materially affect you.

Bitter is a better word.

Dave

Honorary Master
Labour the supporters are having a go at Starmer now for going back on what he said about trying to renegotiate free movement

He’s stuck between a rock and a hard place, younger better educated Labour supporters are much more likely to want a close association or even rejoining, the curmudgeonly over 65’s who are still living dreaming of Empire and ww2 and hate the idea of brown or Eastern European people living in England hold the balance of power in those red wall seats.

The Voice

Honorary Master
He’s stuck between a rock and a hard place, younger better educated Labour supporters are much more likely to want a close association or even rejoining, the curmudgeonly over 65’s who are still living dreaming of Empire and ww2 and hate the idea of brown or Eastern European people living in England hold the balance of power in those red wall seats.
Indeed. Problem for Labour is that these youngsters insist on congregating in major cities like London which, as we already learnt in the last election, counts for nothing in the greater scheme of things.

Dave

Honorary Master
200 million a week back into the NHS?

Yep, that'd be useful right about now!

Only topped by the currently topical Brexit lies,

“The easiest trade deal in human history”

or the similar

“Within minutes of a vote for Brexit the CEO’s of Mercedes, BMW, VW and Audi will be knocking down Chancellor Merkel’s door demanding that there be no barriers to German access to the British market”