The Brexit Thread

Spizz

Goat Botherer
It's really funny how people try and blame these European laws on Brexit.

No one is doing that, there will be similar checks for people trying to get into the U.K. Try and take biltong in for example.

It’s just simply highlighting another example of how the turkeys have voted for Christmas.

rietrot

Honorary Master
No one is doing that, there will be similar checks for people trying to get into the U.K. Try and take biltong in for example.

It’s just simply highlighting another example of how the turkeys have voted for Christmas.
Border control is a good thing.

The Dutch don't have to confiscate people's sandwiches, that's just stupid.

There can be sensible rules put in place, especially for truck drivers crossing the border regularly.

Spizz

Goat Botherer

There can be sensible rules put in place, especially for truck drivers crossing the border regularly.

Brexit was all about border control and that is obviously a two way street (okay it was all lies when the control could have been taken back without leaving the EU but that is a different story).

So it's back to the old days and the old ways and that mean border checks when entering the EU and abiding by their rules. No more fast lane passport control I'm afraid. It's queues and checks like everyone else and those checks include checking for prohibited items like certain foods just like every other border control in the world.

And yet you talk about "stupid". FFS, the UK have just redefined the word.

rietrot

Honorary Master
There were sensible rules in place for 47 years, until the UK decided to reject them in favour of stupid border checks
Those came with to many strings attached and it is great that the British people were intelligent enough to realise that in the Brexit vote.

I just found it funny that there's still some people moaning about it on here. Sorry for interrupting that. Everyone grieves in their own way I guess.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Those came with to many strings attached and it is great that the British people were intelligent enough to realise that in the Brexit vote.

I just found it funny that there's still some people moaning about it on here. Sorry for interrupting that. Everyone grieves in their own way I guess.

I can only think of downsides I’m afraid, so maybe you can cheer me up from my grieving and tell me what are the strings that were attached?

rietrot

Honorary Master
I can only think of downsides I’m afraid, so maybe you can cheer me up from my grieving and tell me what are the strings that were attached?
Seriously you don't know what strings the EU came with?

If I engage in conversation online it is mostly in good faith on the assumption that the other person isn't a complete idiot.

I'm afraid in this case I don't even know where to start.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Actually you were the one moaning about regular border checks and rules around bringing food into Europe. There are far more stings attached now than before and you think it's stupid. And you are right, it is stupid to want more strings and bureaucracy than before but there you go. Keep on moaning, it's ok, everyone grieves in their own way I guess.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Actually you were the one moaning about regular border checks and rules around bringing food into Europe. There are far more stings attached now than before and you think it's stupid. And you are right, it is stupid to want more strings and bureaucracy than before but there you go. Keep on moaning, it's ok, everyone grieves in their own way I guess.
Confiscating trucker's lunches is stupid.
It is a stupid EU law.

Laws need to surf a purpose, whomever read that and decided to implement it again is also stupid.

This is a great reason for leaving in the first place. The EU is full of unelected bureaucrats that have no idea what they are doing.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Seriously you don't know what strings the EU came with?

They had rules and regulations that have now been replaced with different rules and regulations. You seem to think this is good, so I'm asking you why. I can't figure it out.

If I engage in conversation online it is mostly in good faith on the assumption that the other person isn't a complete idiot.

I'm afraid in this case I don't even know where to start.

I can't for the life of me work out what

But on the other hand, this situation now affects me directly. I am a British citizen who works for a European company headquartered in Finland and I work all over the word. My freedom of movement and association has now been seriously curtailed and I just for the life of me can't work out the benefits. All I see is more red tape than ever and a whole new set of rules and regulations replacing the old ones.

This might seem like me being an idiot to you, but these are real issues that affect me and my life. I don't think anything about Brexit affects you good or bad, but maybe you can clear that up because as far as I can tell you picked a side with no obvious consequences to you either way, and now Brexit has happened you are now celebrating like you won a rugby match.

Can you explain these strings that I am now free of?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
It is a stupid EU law.

Laws need to surf a purpose, whomever read that and decided to implement it again is also stupid.

This is a great reason for leaving in the first place. The EU is full of unelected bureaucrats that have no idea what they are doing.

Jesus, and you call me an idiot? This happens at every border. Have you ever actually left South Africa?

As I said, try and get biltong into the UK. Are they now stupid as well?

zippy

Honorary Master

Surely the Dutch, like U.K. have a right to decide what enters their borders and what doesn’t ? Being part of the EU is what gave countries exemptions to these laws. The U.K. is not part of these laws. Btw, have you tried getting some food products into countries like Australia ?

So yes, a direct consequence of Brexit is that can’t just bring foodstuffs into the EU. Welcome to border control. Which is what leavers wanted wasn’t it ? Or did they think it only applied in 1 direction?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Jesus, and you call me an idiot? This happens at every border. Have you ever actually left South Africa?

If they block biltong then yes, they are stupid aswell.

I have taken biltong to a European country in the past actually. I have some family there and we normally bring/take gifts which usually include edibles.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
If they block biltong then yes, they are stupid aswell.

I have taken biltong to a European country in the past actually. I have some family there and we normally bring/take gifts which usually include edibles.

Then you are breaking the law. You can't take meat from any non EU country to the EU. In the UK that includes dairy although I'm not sure about the rule on dairy in the EU now.

And just because you don't understand them, these rules are far from stupid.

Dave

Honorary Master
It is a stupid EU law.

As @Spizz says, try and enter the UK from SA with a bag of biltong and a meat sandwich and see how quickly it’s confiscated and dumped in a bin.

If you aren’t in the Union or market your products can be refused, especially those that could constitute a danger.

Dave

Honorary Master

Not even just the UK, or EU, similar (actually more draconian) rules apply taking foodstuffs into Australia, New Zealand, USA etc as well.

Dave

Honorary Master