The Home Improvements Thread (2)

RandomGeek

Popcorn was one of the reasons I went too , sadly, I think in this COVID and post COVID, world , it may never return due to compliance regs that may need to be follow. Thanks builders for that memory
Agreed, I also cannot see it happening for the foreseeable future

ElixirCoder

So has anyone been to a builders warehouse or similar since level 4?
I went yesterday (Constantiaberg) around 10:30. It was fairly busy -- many people not wearing masks properly.

Live plants were not for sale, furniture and braai section (everything including accessories) were closed off. Couldn't get any HTH (empty shelves). Paint section was by far the busiest followed by the power tool section.

Entry was somewhat controlled with hand sanitizer being offered at the entrance as well as a trolly handle wipe down. But inside the store most people didn't adhere to social distancing protocols as there were bottlenecks around certain sections. I won't go again. Rather just going to order deliveries from now on.

prOd

Expert Member
I went yesterday (Constantiaberg) around 10:30. It was fairly busy -- many people not wearing masks properly.

Live plants were not for sale, furniture and braai section (everything including accessories) were closed off. Couldn't get any HTH (empty shelves). Paint section was by far the busiest followed by the power tool section.

Entry was somewhat controlled with hand sanitizer being offered at the entrance as well as a trolly handle wipe down. But inside the store most people didn't adhere to social distancing protocols as there were bottlenecks around certain sections. I won't go again. Rather just going to order deliveries from now on.
Went to the same store today - but at 9am. Wasn't that busy and we got most of the things we needed - but yes the painting supplies look like they have been raided. Also when we got out (around 10:30am) there was quite the queue to get in. So I think getting there earlier rather than later is much better

I did get quite annoyed with Builders though, apparently they stopped selling floor install kits to encourage people to use their install service. What a waste, now I need to find a shop that sells this tool:

3.PNG

Am using a home made solution at the moment :D

Shella

Went to the same store today - but at 9am. Wasn't that busy and we got most of the things we needed - but yes the painting supplies look like they have been raided. Also when we got out (around 10:30am) there was quite the queue to get in. So I think getting there earlier rather than later is much better

I did get quite annoyed with Builders though, apparently they stopped selling floor install kits to encourage people to use their install service. What a waste, now I need to find a shop that sells this tool:

View attachment 833588

I also struggled to find a puller, most of the new boards are click in and don't need the puller. I eventually found one at a clearance store. I see Leroy Merlin is the only place that stocks them.

ElixirCoder

I also struggled to find a puller, most of the new boards are click in and don't need the puller. I eventually found one at a clearance store. I see Leroy Merlin is the only place that stocks them.
I wish we had a Leroy Merlin in CT :/

martin

Expert Member

View attachment 833588

Believe it or not but the only place I found these kits a few years ago was at Bathroom Bizarre.

prOd

Expert Member
I finally found an installation kit at Flooring Solutions, most hardware stores didn't even know wtf I was talking about even after showing them a picture of what I was looking for...

martin

Expert Member
I finally found an installation kit at Flooring Solutions, most hardware stores didn't even know wtf I was talking about even after showing them a picture of what I was looking for...
Glad you found a kit! My experience was very similar when looking for these.

alqassam

Expert Member
So the HT cable on my fence is damaged, can you do a join or should I do new cable.

Join will.cost me R200 for a small piece of cable and new cable will need about 80m so about R1000, plus trenching etc edit: geewiz has 100m length for R400 so doing this DIY. Have the time atm. Builders sells a 35m lengths for R450 , grewize ferrules are R85 for 100 and builder a R85 for 10. ****img insane

1 security company said new cable should be used as joint can break. I call BS on that, if you do a proper joint

Security companies want 3 to 4k to repaid the fence, about 10 breaks in the fence and the HT cable is damaged.

Material costing me R700

Last edited:

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Try http://hurricanepumps.co.za/ or https://www.afripumps.co.za/

Takealot also has a few as well as builders
Will have a look - definitely not Builders - bought one from them on the Thursday before lockdown started, opened it at 5pm and noticed the inlet/outlets had rust, and plumbers tape - plugged it in and it tripped the power. Fortunately made it back to the store in time.

(I actually queried in store why all the boxes were open before purchasing - and they claimed "customers do that")

Smokey mcpot

I have personally used these plenty of times for water tank to toilet supply installations. In fact I think I bought all of them from take a lot in 2018 lol

price has gone up quite a bit since then. I remember paying R999 for them back then
2D1FAE20-8C4D-44AC-A31F-FEAB937FD4BE.png

rodga

Executive Member
I need to get the roof painted at the fixer upper, I have been told that spraying may be easiest.

It is a normal tile roof.

Will something like this work?

I used the smaller one like that to spray my roof. It was easy and worked OK, you go through paint really quickly and the biggest hassle is stopping to refill the canister. Overspray is also an issue and you will need to cover up your gutters/fascias if you don't want them the same colour.

I think I did mine about 2 years ago and it still looks fine. I used fired earth roof paint. Not sure if I thinned it though. You will have to check with whichever paint you decide on.

Iirc I used about 30 to 40l for a standard 3 bedroom house with single garage.

I would never paint a roof but the previous owner painted the red tiles grey. Some areas the paint started peeling. So I used karcher with the dirt blaster attachment to get most of the loose pieces and dirt/dust of the roof.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
I used the smaller one like that to spray my roof. It was easy and worked OK, you go through paint really quickly and the biggest hassle is stopping to refill the canister. Overspray is also an issue and you will need to cover up your gutters/fascias if you don't want them the same colour.

I think I did mine about 2 years ago and it still looks fine. I used fired earth roof paint. Not sure if I thinned it though. You will have to check with whichever paint you decide on.

Iirc I used about 30 to 40l for a standard 3 bedroom house with single garage.

I would never paint a roof but the previous owner painted the red tiles grey. Some areas the paint started peeling. So I used karcher with the dirt blaster attachment to get most of the loose pieces and dirt/dust of the roof.
That looks good, which colour of the fired earth did you use? we looking for similar.

SAguy

Expert Member
I need to get the roof painted at the fixer upper, I have been told that spraying may be easiest.

It is a normal tile roof.

Will something like this work?

Fancy... when I was 16 I had to paint our roof by hand.
And scrub it by hand initially until I complained enough to be given a pressure sprayer.

Yes... I had an awesome stepdad