The Home Improvements Thread (2)

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Fancy... when I was 16 I had to paint our roof by hand.
And scrub it by hand initially until I complained enough to be given a pressure sprayer.

Yes... I had an awesome stepdad
i am gonna be painting mine by hand soon, i am going to hard room wash it off. Then apply a coat of bonding liquid, then paint

Mosgi

Update on a question I asked a while back.

We have decided to go ahead with a conversion from thatch to IBR, and will be removing all wooden doors for aluminum & Steel. Does anyone know of a place that buys used building material namely looking for the doors, I have found someone willing to do consignment for the old thatch and gum poles for me.

Taking advantage of the winter season, this will be done as part of a bigger renovation, plans are in place and were approved back in 2016, which would mean they need to be reapproved.

Does anyone know if this resubmission would have the same timelines as the original (4-6 weeks) also likely affected by the backlog from the lockdown?

Since transfer has been delayed due to lockdown, I am starting to get concerned it might push us back into rainy season.

SAguy

Expert Member
So carrying on from other thread, I bought a new oven. Tonight I decided to take the old one out so I know what I'm in for when the electrician comes, didn't want him having to struggle with the cupboards.

Other than me needing to cut a small section out of the countertop, it all fits... But electrical wise, was disapointed with what's behind the oven. The new oven has a normal plug on it, so does the gas hob - was hoping the electrician would just be able to fit a plug socket behind the oven or maybe even I could do it, doubt it now though.

There's seems to be an armoured cabled coming out of the conduit, but also multiple live wires some of which have been taped up. Guess I'm not touching that! Will have to wait for the sparky to check it out. Confused by why there is a armoured cable...

Also, when I pulled the oven away the plug cover just came off the wall it wasn't screwed in just half skimmed in place. Going to be fun getting this sorted, since this plug is directly behind the oven but it will have to move.

/rant over, some things are just not as simple as you'd hope.

1589223459841.png

SAguy

Expert Member
Any ideas where I could get these wire sides to make a spice pull out shelf?
Alternative is to just use dowels instead.

Not even sure what to call them

1589479865171.png

SAguy

Expert Member

F1 Fan

Expert Member
wouldn't you lose less space if you push it towards the left wall?

Would work...challenge is that there is alot of dust that drops from the thatch, and it doesnt feel comfortable sitting under it when the couches are pushed back

WAslayer

Expert Member
Any ideas of what I can do to fill up the area behind the couches to make it look fuller?

I've thought of buying shutterply sheets and fitting it between the poles. But seems like a waste of money.
Storage box for the cushions..?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Would work...challenge is that there is alot of dust that drops from the thatch, and it doesnt feel comfortable sitting under it when the couches are pushed back
where is it dropping, between the wall and the thatch? you need to redo your flashing then. in general i think a thatch gets dusty but that is an all over kind of thing

F1 Fan

Expert Member
Storage box for the cushions..?
Will cost a fortune, I need to fill up 7 running metres..and alteast 1.2m high.

Im trying to avoid putting cupboard or something similar because of cost.....I'll do like a fake tree of something in the corner.