The Kia Stinger Thread

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I just like the looks of this for the Stinger money.

GC lines are hot.
And that is Kia's fundamental problem.

Why the hell would I spend R865k on their product, when I can get a perceived higher quality product from a more reputable marque in the range for the same price.

They have seriously misunderstood their market here if they think this will sell in any number (They will sell a few yes, but nowhere near what they project is my guess)

Craig

Honorary Master
Kia has announced that its Stinger GT will come to South Africa, and will be available for R859,995.

The car aims to take on the high-powered four-door sedans from the likes of BMW and Mercedes-Benz, and packs impressive performance on paper.

Kia’s most powerful and fastest-accelerating production car ever made, the Stinger GT features a 3.3-litre twin-turbocharged V6 engine.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/motoring/258481-kia-stinger-gt-r860000-for-kias-fastest-ever-car.html
R860k? Loooool keep it...
I just like the looks of this for the Stinger money.

View attachment 518653

GC lines are hot.
That or an XE.

rietrot

Honorary Master
And that is Kia's fundamental problem.

Why the hell would I spend R865k on their product, when I can get a perceived higher quality product from a more reputable marque in the range for the same price.

They have seriously misunderstood their market here if they think this will sell in any number (They will sell a few yes, but nowhere near what they project is my guess)
It's a niche. Some people buy a polo, most people actually, or a hilux or a BMW. This car isn't aimed at everybody that wants to be exactly like everyone else.

The Jag is probably good competition for it. Isn't Jaguar taking the same criticism because they are manufactured in India or something?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
The Jag is probably good competition for it. Isn't Jaguar taking the same criticism because they are manufactured in India or something?
Nope. Assembled there, but still engineered and tested by Jaguar themselves. And that's what counts...

Craig

Honorary Master
It's a niche. Some people buy a polo, most people actually, or a hilux or a BMW. This car isn't aimed at everybody that wants to be exactly like everyone else.

All Jag cars are steaming hot, I wouldn't any of those. Kia on the otherhand, for that price, no way. Next thing you know VW will price the Arteon at a million.

Mistro

Guys the Kia is good, no questions about that, it's the price that's the issue. Guys raising points about quality are off the mark.

thechamp

Honorary Master
But there is an elephant in the room...
This Kia is more powerful and faster on paper than the most expensive XE, XF the 3l portfolio, can you guys stand a Kia flashing you off the fast lane in your Jaguars? Remember I am on your side here, i just want us to deal with this elephant.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Guys the Kia is good, no questions about that, it's the price that's the issue. Guys raising points about quality are off the mark.
Yes, but at the segment they've priced themselves into, can you guarantee that the quality is up to the same standard as the Germans and Jaguar?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
This Kia is more powerful and faster on paper than the most expensive XE, XF the 3l portfolio, can you guys stand a Kia flashing you off the fast lane in your Jaguars? Remember I am on your side here, i just want us to deal with this elephant.
If it was cheaper it would undoubtedly be an option.

However at the price it's not even about speed. It's about whether you're prepared to drop almost R1m on something completely untried and untested in the real world, over tried and tested competing products that have had decades of R&D behind them.

I'd take the latter, even at the expense of speed, for the piece of mind in knowing that I have a better product for my money...

Craig

Honorary Master
I drive a 103kw diesel sedan, and even that (as slow as it is) is more than fast enough for me. You can't drive these powerful cars to their full potential anyway. So even the lower powered Jags would be more than powerful enough for most people.