The official running thread™

jouda

Expert Member
Makes 2 of us.

I also started running a week or so ago as my weight was mentioned in the worst place possible, anyway what I want to know is I see some apps used for tracking, are there any good free one's I can give a shot? Probably don't even run 1km now but I want a benchmark to keep improving.
Good Luck!

I use Strava for my running. It might sound like a very silly reason, but Strava has segments on the routes that you run (you can also setup your own). I gives you a great sense of accomplishment when you have a PR on a segment or two after a run. It gives you a very real measure of progress. I also like to run a specific route every now and then to see if I am at least making some progress.

Just remember, you cannot run a PR every day. I went out for a 5KM run this morning and it was my slowest run this year, the tank was just empty and the legs were moaning.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Makes 2 of us.

I also started running a week or so ago as my weight was mentioned in the worst place possible, anyway what I want to know is I see some apps used for tracking, are there any good free one's I can give a shot? Probably don't even run 1km now but I want a benchmark to keep improving.
Do you have an Apple Watch? I found it's a good tool to keep track of progress. It's quite motivating to sync it with Vitality and get the health benefits from the points.

jouda

Expert Member
Do you have an Apple Watch? I found it's a good tool to keep track of progress. It's quite motivating to sync it with Vitality and get the health benefits from the points.
+1 for Vitality points. I gym for free because I run :p

gamer16

Executive Member
Nope, am thinking about getting a fitbit or one of those things though.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
welcome you 2 :D

I am using the ascics runkeeper app atm (free - there is an in app upgrade but imo you dont need it to start), the distance isn't massively reliable but i am mainly using it for time tracking and to keep track of when i ran.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
One silly question regarding foam rollers (recommend earlier in the thread). What does it do? I saw some youtube videos with ladies doing yoga style exercises, is that what is done for running too? Didn't seem "right".
When you first start out running don't go too hard. That's how you injure yourself and/or end up quitting because you are in so much pain. For your first few runs look at doing something like 30 sec run / 30 sec walk for 20 minutes. Then increase the length of the run bit without changing the walking time (e.g 1 min run / 30 sec walk) etc.

To your question about foam rollers, the idea is that they are like a sports massage which helps loosen up and clear lactic acid from your muscles. Not sure what videos you saw but you basically lie with the muscle you are massaging on top of the foam roller and then roll it up and down the muscle. It can be quite painful hence the weird looking positions that allow you to support some of your weight off the roller to make it more bearable.

I use Strava and TrainingPeaks. Both have free and paid for versions. If you are just starting out the free version is more than enough. Strava is kinda like social media for exercise so you can follow your mates and see how much they are training which I find can be very motivational (especially if you are racing against them in the future). It is also very cool for tracking progress. Plus if you ever get a Garmin/Polar/Suunto running watch you can like them to Strava as well so can keep your entire exercise history in one place.

Both of these apps also allow you to track multiple sports. So if you pick up another sport in addition to the running you can also track it separately in the same app.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
When you first start out running don't go too hard. That's how you injure yourself and/or end up quitting because you are in so much pain. For your first few runs look at doing something like 30 sec run / 30 sec walk for 20 minutes. Then increase the length of the run bit without changing the walking time (e.g 1 min run / 30 sec walk) etc.

To your question about foam rollers, the idea is that they are like a sports massage which helps loosen up and clear lactic acid from your muscles. Not sure what videos you saw but you basically lie with the muscle you are massaging on top of the foam roller and then roll it up and down the muscle. It can be quite painful hence the weird looking positions that allow you to support some of your weight off the roller to make it more bearable.

I use Strava and TrainingPeaks. Both have free and paid for versions. If you are just starting out the free version is more than enough. Strava is kinda like social media for exercise so you can follow your mates and see how much they are training which I find can be very motivational (especially if you are racing against them in the future). It is also very cool for tracking progress. Plus if you ever get a Garmin/Polar/Suunto running watch you can like them to Strava as well so can keep your entire exercise history in one place.
Awesome, thank you! :)

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Hopefully the pro's will recommend some good free apps. I used mapmyrun when I went for a short jog the other day to see if I can manage. It didn't ask for payment, but then again I used it together with my Samsung gear, I think they have some sort of sponsored partnership, not sure. Try that out.
Also using mapmyrun :cool:

Have just started doing some trail runs. They are a lot more challenging than Park Runs but also really great motivators.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
welcome you 2 :D

I am using the ascics runkeeper app atm (free - there is an in app upgrade but imo you dont need it to start), the distance isn't massively reliable but i am mainly using it for time tracking and to keep track of when i ran.
I'm about to list my Suunto in the classifieds, but as I offered it to you first, I thought I'll check whether you're interested?

walterl

Expert Member
Also using mapmyrun :cool:

Have just started doing some trail runs. They are a lot more challenging than Park Runs but also really great motivators.

I also did a trail run, the cheese and olive one a couple of weeks ago, and doing the Ale run in two weeks time

gamer16

Executive Member
Runkeeper seems to work good, tracking looks accurate. Did a small run just up the road and down, luckily wasn't too bad but my lungs aren't happy, still got a productive cough this morning, smoking is bad mmkay. Not going to stop though and will try 1.5x the distance this evening.

@Nobody Important, did you start yet?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Runkeeper seems to work good, tracking looks accurate. Did a small run just up the road and down, luckily wasn't too bad but my lungs aren't happy, still got a productive cough this morning, smoking is bad mmkay. Not going to stop though and will try 1.5x the distance this evening.

@Nobody Important, did you start yet?
i think my issue with it is just bad gps on my phone, or bad comms between the gps and the app, or bad signal.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Nerves are starting to ratchet up a notch or two as the Ultra approaches. Suddenly you start to feel different parts of the body. "What was that?" "Was that a tweak?" "Why does this suddenly feel stiff?". Then there's the health issue. You get what feels like a scratchy throat. Suddenly you're diving for the Airmune, or rummaging through the cupboard desperately searching for some Corenza C or Med-Lemon.

Just have to trust in what you've done and the prep you've put in.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Nerves are starting to ratchet up a notch or two as the Ultra approaches. Suddenly you start to feel different parts of the body. "What was that?" "Was that a tweak?" "Why does this suddenly feel stiff?". Then there's the health issue. You get what feels like a scratchy throat. Suddenly you're diving for the Airmune, or rummaging through the cupboard desperately searching for some Corenza C or Med-Lemon.

Just have to trust in what you've done and the prep you've put in.
is that this weekend?