The official running thread™

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
3.5km @ 22.40

Mentally hard to not just cut my route this morning, also I have come to realize why the second half is so much harder, it is mildly up hill and killing my muscles and shins

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Just realised something. I am totally fine when doing Park Runs. But give me the same distance trail run and I always feel "puky" right before the start :ROFL:

Zuner

Expert Member
I need some advice, cause clearly i'm not doing it correctly.
I need to increase my pace/stamina. i'm not improving at all, last year i ran 26:52 parkrun which i felt i could easily improve on.
Now i run high 29minutes when giving it my all.

I've been running with a no stopping policy, so i don't walk at all during the 5km and i like finishing with a sprint. It baffles me when i see you guys with low 5minutes/km pace.

walterl

Expert Member
I need some advice, cause clearly i'm not doing it correctly.
I need to increase my pace/stamina. i'm not improving at all, last year i ran 26:52 parkrun which i felt i could easily improve on.
Now i run high 29minutes when giving it my all.

I've been running with a no stopping policy, so i don't walk at all during the 5km and i like finishing with a sprint. It baffles me when i see you guys with low 5minutes/km pace.
I'm not an expert but I think there are just 3 things you can try:

1. Interval training - called fartlek because it comes from Sweden
2. Increase your training speed
3. Increase your training distance

Steamy Tom

Expert Member

probably this, and also probably taking a week break.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
On the toe tips. Dunno if it was bad socks or shoes. Or my feet just going on strike after the hell they have been through lately.
yeah probably bad shoe/sock or combo. since changing out my NB for some mr price runners and thicker socks my feet are doing way better.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I started running too recently. I have viewed the Saturday park-run that passes my place and come to the conclusion that it isn't for me. There are always a few idiots that think it is a professional sprint and run like a mob is chasing them. What is the fun in that, unless you can trip them as they fly by?
If you get into parkrun then you will probably find yourself getting to that point if you are even mildly competitive.
Its what I enjoy about parkrun, you end up racing yourself to try and improve your times.
Its easy to do at first but when your times start getting into the low 20's then taking off 2 seconds becomes an achievement.

Jaws677

yeah probably bad shoe/sock or combo. since changing out my NB for some mr price runners and thicker socks my feet are doing way better.
Its part of long distance running for most. Especially when you start doing ultras. I have permanent blisters on my toes.

First Comrades five of toe nails came off with my socks when I took them off.
And that wasn't even the part that hurt the most ,,

Jehosefat

Expert Member
lol :D i wouldnt mind trying another, is strava free and doesnt need an external monitor like a gps watch etc?
Yes Strava is free (although it has a paid for version that gives you a bunch more analytics if you ever feel you need them). It can use your phone as a GPS (and you can pair a heart rate strap to your phone if you want HR data too) or it can connect to an external running watch or cycling computer so if/when you do upgrade to a dedicated sports device you can still keep track of all your runs in the same place.

Zuner

Expert Member

Will look into this, i had a friend that i was running with and just when we wanted to start doing interval training together this went south, so never go to it.
I guess speed increases when doing interval training.
Never done more than 5km

probably this, and also probably taking a week break.
Been taking breaks, more from being lazy than planning to take a break though.

Question: For those doing more than 5km, do you take water with you, lets say i start training 10km should i get one of those belts with small bottles of water?

Sparkz0629

Expert Member
Late update, but...

My first 21.1km went better than expected.
had 2 Goals:
Finish Sub 2hr
Finish Sub 1:50.

Final time, 1:41. Was actually a great run, and the atmosphere makes it easier (Everyone suffering together you know :D)

Looking forward to the next