The official running thread™

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Late update, but...

My first 21.1km went better than expected.
had 2 Goals:
Finish Sub 2hr
Finish Sub 1:50.

Final time, 1:41. Was actually a great run, and the atmosphere makes it easier (Everyone suffering together you know :D)

Looking forward to the next
thats epic :D

i am guessing you have run decent distance before? like 10km or more? what was your average training run leading up to this?

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Late update, but...

had 2 Goals:
Finish Sub 2hr

Final time, 1:41. Was actually a great run, and the atmosphere makes it easier (Everyone suffering together you know :D)

Congrats!

I don't plan on doing more than 5k's. Maybe one or two 10 k's but that's about the limit.

jman

Expert Member
If you get into parkrun then you will probably find yourself getting to that point if you are even mildly competitive.
Its what I enjoy about parkrun, you end up racing yourself to try and improve your times.
Its easy to do at first but when your times start getting into the low 20's then taking off 2 seconds becomes an achievement.
This is my struggle nowadays.. Battle to get any quicker than the 21:00-ish mark at my parkrun

Eti1

Expert Member
Its part of long distance running for most. Especially when you start doing ultras. I have permanent blisters on my toes.

First Comrades five of toe nails came off with my socks when I took them off.
And that wasn't even the part that hurt the most ,,
Yor. Glad to hear it's normal, but sjoe that sounds eina.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you manage and treat your toes?

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
I'm not an expert but I think there are just 3 things you can try:

1. Interval training - called fartlek because it comes from Sweden
2. Increase your training speed
3. Increase your training distance
Incorrect. Although Fartlek is a form of interval training. All interval training is not fartlek.

Fartlek means speedplay, and is mainly centered around the idea of group running. Then from time to time with no set schedule someone sprints away and the group chases.. Whether this is 50m/20sec or 500m and 5 minutes. It varies and is supposed to be more random and fun.

Interval training is more structured, such as 5 x 30sec at HR4 followed by recovery.. Or whatever. Also, the idea with intervals is Hard effort -> recovery, rinse and repeat.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Late update, but...

had 2 Goals:
Finish Sub 2hr

Very nice, and on your first try! Took me ages to break 2 hours, never mind eventually run a 1:45 (which stands as my current half pb)

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Question: For those doing more than 5km, do you take water with you, lets say i start training 10km should i get one of those belts with small bottles of water?
I don't take water on a 10km run (unless it's trail) but as someone just getting into running and doing a 10km run, I highly recommend it. When you're new to running, all you want is something to drink when you're a few km in. The belt has it's good and bad points. The good is that it keeps your hands free (if you don't like carrying a bottle). The downside is that if it is an ill fitting belt, it can flop around as you run which can get annoying. If you do go with a belt though, just stick with it because like anything, you'll get used to it which means eventually it won't be an issue.

handyman007

What's you best years for running? Started very late at 37, 38 now, will I still be able to run some good times and show improvement in times?

Sparkz0629

Expert Member
thats epic :D

i am guessing you have run decent distance before? like 10km or more? what was your average training run leading up to this?
Thanks so much.
I had indeed run some longer distances. but not regularly. My average run is around 8-10km. 3-5 runs of 12-15km and one run of 18.3km the week before. Only about 20-25km a week.

For me it was mainly a mental run, i felt comfortable to run the distance, but my mind kept fighting me.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Two Oceans Ultra Marathon route has been changed due to the threat of unrest in Hout Bay. Route will now go over Ou Kaapse Weg instead of Chappies (and I assume Constantianek too). :mad: