The official running thread™

jouda

Expert Member
5km @ 29.20 today :D only walked 2 very short bits, kept a moderate pace the rest.
Great run! Was it muddy?

Ive done the Atlasville parkrun a few times. Normally I cycle with the team and if Im back on time Ill run from Elridge to the parkrun and then back to Elridge.

Last edited:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
That was vicious, yoh! Ou Kaapse Weg is terrible! Not to mention getting to the water station at the top only to be told they've run out of water. Fail... Gonna eat my weight in junk food now. Nice reading you all got out there this weekend (regardless of distance). Keep it up!

Screenshot_20190420-163733_Connect.jpg

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
That was vicious, yoh! Ou Kaapse Weg is terrible! Not to mention getting to the water station at the top only to be told they've run out of water. Fail... Gonna eat my weight in junk food now. Nice reading you all got out there this weekend (regardless of distance). Keep it up!

View attachment 648158
Flippen awesome! well done. Its still definitely on my bucket list, more into trail but will drag myself to the start of oceans ultra sometime.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
any mental fscks here running the mad2run event? jhb to cpt in 7 days....
It's not quite as mental as it sounds (I had a few friends run it last year). Each person only does about 20km per day because the running is done in shifts. Yes, it is still like 140km in a week which is pretty heavy but it's not like each person runs the whole 1500-odd km. The mad2ride guys do (as far as I know) all cycle the whole distance down.

As1974a

What's you best years for running? Started very late at 37, 38 now, will I still be able to run some good times and show improvement in times?
Started park runs just over 2 months ago at age 44. Doing better than expected.
Always ran treadmill before and for like 10 minutes on average.:p

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
It's not quite as mental as it sounds (I had a few friends run it last year). Each person only does about 20km per day because the running is done in shifts. Yes, it is still like 140km in a week which is pretty heavy but it's not like each person runs the whole 1500-odd km. The mad2ride guys do (as far as I know) all cycle the whole distance down.
ah ok that sounds more reasonable, here i was thinking like 200+ km a day - i doubt that is even possible and if it was it could not be good for you

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Started park runs just over 2 months ago at age 44. Doing better than expected.
Always ran treadmill before and for like 10 minutes on average.:p
i swear, i was like top 1/4 of the pack for the better part of the first 3km this last weekend, next thing, this oke who looks 60 over takes me like i am standing still xD

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Almost that time of the year - new running shoes :)
It's the best! Got anything in mind? What distances are you doing? I am going to be treating myself to a new pair of Asics trail shoes soon. People have given me differing opinions on what I should get but I use their road shoe so I figure their trail shoe will be good too. Also they are decently priced. I'm not about to go drop R3k on a pair of Salomons, no spank yeew!!

gamer16

Executive Member
i swear, i was like top 1/4 of the pack for the better part of the first 3km this last weekend, next thing, this oke who looks 60 over takes me like i am standing still xD
You know how those old long firework sticks that shoot sometimes look like they are done then all of a sudden there is more in the tank and it goes like crazy:ROFL:

jman

Expert Member
It's the best! Got anything in mind? What distances are you doing? I am going to be treating myself to a new pair of Asics trail shoes soon. People have given me differing opinions on what I should get but I use their road shoe so I figure their trail shoe will be good too. Also they are decently priced. I'm not about to go drop R3k on a pair of Salomons, no spank yeew!!
I've had a look at some running websites and what not. They say the Nike Pegasus zoom 35 is great. And only about R2k, so not too expensive (I get them almost for free anyway via vitality). But I'll need to go try some out in the shop.

I do the odd half marathon, parkrun every weekend and 5km 3 days/week. So my distances aren't big.

I wanted trail running shoes, since our parkrun is mostly off-road, but I think a normal pair can handle it.

Have you had a look at decatlon stores? Really affordable sports stuff, and having a look at their reviews online, their running shoes are quite good (brand is called kalenji) and max R1100