The official running thread™

Zuner

Expert Member
i swear, i was like top 1/4 of the pack for the better part of the first 3km this last weekend, next thing, this oke who looks 60 over takes me like i am standing still xD
There's so many veteran park runners at my local park run. Many older guys overtake me, some almost double my age.

jouda

Expert Member
Ugh. I really battled this morning. It felt like I had lead shoes. 32min on 5.3KM. Ive been working a lot on my swimming lately and my cycling is fairly decent. Its just the running that is lagging behind.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
I'm trying to figure out if I should set my goal at doing 5k under 25 or move up to 10k :unsure:
why not both? they will help each other. set 2 goals, with the 5km 25m as a primary and the 10km as a secondary, increase your distance slightly each week, as you get close to 10km your 5km time should be able to come down as you get more stamina

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
why not both? they will help each other. set 2 goals, with the 5km 25m as a primary and the 10km as a secondary, increase your distance slightly each week, as you get close to 10km your 5km time should be able to come down as you get more stamina
Wasn't sure if I could focus on both tbh. Think I will do that. Thanks!

Yoh, you guys have nice goals (good) but for a fatty like me it's a goal to just run around the block!

Third "run" this morning. Still not getting exhausted, just the legs burning up midway and then I turn around. Legs really moan by the time I get home. And it's not even that far, don't know the distance because my watch is giving false mapping info.

So do you guys suggest I carry on as is (every second day), or ramp it up to every day? I would imagine that either way I'll develop the stamina, maybe faster if done daily, but what about recovery and injuries?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Yoh, you guys have nice goals (good) but for a fatty like me it's a goal to just run around the block!

Third "run" this morning. Still not getting exhausted, just the legs burning up midway and then I turn around. Legs really moan by the time I get home. And it's not even that far, don't know the distance because my watch is giving false mapping info.

So do you guys suggest I carry on as is (every second day), or ramp it up to every day? I would imagine that either way I'll develop the stamina, maybe faster if done daily, but what about recovery and injuries?
maybe if you are taking strain walk every day between twice the distance?

maybe if you are taking strain walk every day between twice the distance?
Yes, that sounds good. Okay a man with a plan. :) I shall do that.

I actually enjoy it, first I was worried about my fat bobbing about as I pound the pavement and little kids yelling, "look mommy it's the Michelin Man!" :D But it feels good and I'm so focused on my pace. Also nobody cares about you like you imagine. :thumbsup:

Steamy Tom

Expert Member

I actually enjoy it, first I was worried about my fat bobbing about as I pound the pavement and little kids yelling, "look mommy it's the Michelin Man!" :D But it feels good and I'm so focused on my pace. Also nobody cares about you like you imagine. :thumbsup:
even if they did, anyone who mocks/belittles someone making an effort has their own issues they are too scared to face - its like laughing at a fat oke at gym - why the oke is trying - go laugh at the fat oke at kfc

jouda

Expert Member

First of all, high 5 for becoming more active. Youll find that your energy levels will be higher. Running is addictive.

+1 for the walking :) Ill stick to every second day for the first week or 2. You body is going through quite a lot when you start.

You can also try and keep a running diary or use an app such as strava or endomondo or runtastic. This gives you the ability to track progress. Compete against yourself, its the awesomest opponent you will ever meet :cool:

The awesome thing about running is that you will find all shapes and sizes on the road. I did one of the Discovery 10K races last year and I passed a 84 year old oom at about 8KM. I was so Impressed with him! Valuable lesson learned.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad

Trust me nobody cares. It's like gym. You're too focused on your own routine to worry about anyone else.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I actually enjoy it, first I was worried about my fat bobbing about as I pound the pavement and little kids yelling, "look mommy it's the Michelin Man!" :D But it feels good and I'm so focused on my pace. Also nobody cares about you like you imagine
Lol. Not to sound patronising or anything, but you guys are the ones I have the most respect for. I'm as skinny as a rake (I turn sideways and I disappear) so I can take running for granted at times but when I see the larger fellow out there pounding tarmac and pushing himself beyond what he feels he is capable of, it makes me feel good.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Lol. Not to sound patronising or anything, but you guys are the ones I have the most respect for. I'm as skinny as a rake (I turn sideways and I disappear) so I can take running for granted at times but when I see the larger fellow out there pounding tarmac and pushing himself beyond what he feels he is capable of, it makes me feel good.
Same here. Knowing what an effort I have to make I admire the effort larger guys and gals make even more.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
3.5km @ 23

Today I really struggled, mentally and my shins and left hammy.

Also used Strava today, ots definitely my phone as the GPS was still bad.