The official running thread™

Out of curiosity, what are guys eating or drinking before a run. I only do the Parkrun and usually just have Black coffee before. Don't feel for water during the run.
Wondering if i should be having something else since on Saturdays run, although did 32 min(with some extra walking), was feeling that i had to push.
Maybe because i didn't gym for 2 weeks?

Weekday runs nothing. I'm normally on the treadmill within half an hour of waking up.

Park Runs/Trail Runs - three shortbread fingers with coffee at least 3 hours before I run :cool:
 
I have the coffee like 10 minutes before the run so maybe i should have it earlier and try a banana even and see how that goes. Back into gym so hopefully next week's run will be better.
 
Nothing. Because I started running to loose weight I never ate or drank anything before it. These day I might have a Monster Zero on my way to a race just to wake me up and get things going.
Haven't had energy drinks in ages. Used to need them in my younger days but now i fell they do nothing for me.:p. Maybe i should try it since now i am running.
 
I have the coffee like 10 minutes before the run so maybe i should have it earlier and try a banana even and see how that goes. Back into gym so hopefully next week's run will be better.
Tour de France cyclists have an espresso just before leaving the bus to line up at the start. Its best to get that caffeine in as close to the start as possible.
 
Tour de France cyclists have an espresso just before leaving the bus to line up at the start. Its best to get that caffeine in as close to the start as possible.

Knowing me I'd need to pee 5 minutes later. I avoid liquids before and during my run.
 
Tour de France cyclists have an espresso just before leaving the bus to line up at the start. Its best to get that caffeine in as close to the start as possible.
So i guess i have to change up things a bit and see whats works since I am already have strong coffee just before the run.
Or maybe its actually working and that's why i'm finishing the race.:ROFL::ROFL:
 
Knowing me I'd need to pee 5 minutes later. I avoid liquids before and during my run.

I found that too, but more so with running. Wednesday I'll drink my Monster while getting dressed. By the time I arrive in Wellington before the race I'll take a leak somewhere and I should be good to go the 21km.

When I rode the Cederberg 100 miler three weeks ago I had a Monster Zero before the time, drank about 8x 700ml bottles of Enduren throughout the ride - never once needed to pee. It was hot and dry so sweat and breath is how I lost all that water.

Eventually afterwards when I had two beers I had to go for the first time that day. Man oh man, that was some yellow stuff. :ROFL:
 
Haven't had energy drinks in ages. Used to need them in my younger days but now i fell they do nothing for me.:p. Maybe i should try it since now i am running.

they dont make me feel energetic, though i have noticed they affect my sleep lately, they also make me feel kinda anxious
 
I found that too, but more so with running. Wednesday I'll drink my Monster while getting dressed. By the time I arrive in Wellington before the race I'll take a leak somewhere and I should be good to go the 21km.

When I rode the Cederberg 100 miler three weeks ago I had a Monster Zero before the time, drank about 8x 700ml bottles of Enduren throughout the ride - never once needed to pee. It was hot and dry so sweat and breath is how I lost all that water.

Eventually afterwards when I had two beers I had to go for the first time that day. Man oh man, that was some yellow stuff. :ROFL:

Just be careful of dehydration. Can be quite hectic, Especially with the monsters.
And kidney stones are definitely not something you want (Especially if its well in your control to prevent them).
Drink lots of water before hand and during the race. Your body will thank you.
 
pushed hard at parkrun this weekend. Managed a 22:18.
Slowed down alot by the mud and having to get creative with crossing the muddy patches (Gilloolys parkrun).
Aiming for sub 21:00 in the next 3-6 months.
Need to really get to training more regularly. Haven't been consistent since the 21km.
 
pushed hard at parkrun this weekend. Managed a 22:18.
Slowed down alot by the mud and having to get creative with crossing the muddy patches (Gilloolys parkrun).
Aiming for sub 21:00 in the next 3-6 months.
Need to really get to training more regularly. Haven't been consistent since the 21km.

Now that is a great time! :thumbsup:
 
pushed hard at parkrun this weekend. Managed a 22:18.
Slowed down alot by the mud and having to get creative with crossing the muddy patches (Gilloolys parkrun).
Aiming for sub 21:00 in the next 3-6 months.
Need to really get to training more regularly. Haven't been consistent since the 21km.
Great time, well done!
From experience I can tell you that it takes a LOT of work to get your times down from that point, you need to do lots of speed work and get nice and comfy with suffering the whole 5 ks...
 
pushed hard at parkrun this weekend. Managed a 22:18.
Slowed down alot by the mud and having to get creative with crossing the muddy patches (Gilloolys parkrun).
Aiming for sub 21:00 in the next 3-6 months.
Need to really get to training more regularly. Haven't been consistent since the 21km.

O_O
 
Great time, well done!
From experience I can tell you that it takes a LOT of work to get your times down from that point, you need to do lots of speed work and get nice and comfy with suffering the whole 5 ks...
Yeah, I'm in this boat. I hover around the 20:45 - 21:45 mark (route dependant). It's some serious work if you want to get any faster than that
 
Out of curiosity, what are guys eating or drinking before a run. I only do the Parkrun and usually just have Black coffee before. Don't feel for water during the run.
Wondering if i should be having something else since on Saturdays run, although did 32 min(with some extra walking), was feeling that i had to push.
Maybe because i didn't gym for 2 weeks?

You don't really need too much before a parkrun. Once you start getting into longer distances, it's advisable to have something before you set off. Before a marathon, I'll usually have two slices of toast with peanut butter. And then on the start line, I'll have a Fastbar. I run with a bottle of Tailwind and usually some sort of energy chews which I take at predetermined distances or time.
 
pushed hard at parkrun this weekend. Managed a 22:18.
Slowed down alot by the mud and having to get creative with crossing the muddy patches (Gilloolys parkrun).
Aiming for sub 21:00 in the next 3-6 months.
Need to really get to training more regularly. Haven't been consistent since the 21km.
Also doing the Gilloolys Park run. Saturday did 32:00 . Hopefully the mud issue will be sorted with less rain in winter.
 
You don't really need too much before a parkrun. Once you start getting into longer distances, it's advisable to have something before you set off. Before a marathon, I'll usually have two slices of toast with peanut butter. And then on the start line, I'll have a Fastbar. I run with a bottle of Tailwind and usually some sort of energy chews which I take at predetermined distances or time.
Ya didn't think i would need much but it could also be a combination of factors, one being that i haven't been to gym for 2 weeks and body couldn't handle the sudden need for energy.
 
Yoh, that is crazy!! Ridiculous time, oh my hat! How was the terrain? Runnable at least? I'm looking at doing the UTCT 65km ultra trail in December. Some friends did it last year. Took them 13 hours.
Very runnable unlike UTCT and non technical terrain, but the altitude makes it tough. UTCT is incredible and by far the best organised event I've done. I've done two 65's in 10 hours and a 100 but bailed at Hout Bay with knee issues
 
Very runnable unlike UTCT and non technical terrain, but the altitude makes it tough. UTCT is incredible and by far the best organised event I've done. I've done two 65's in 10 hours and a 100 but bailed at Hout Bay with knee issues

Impressive! *doffs cap* Must be tough to put in all that effort and expense to get ready for the 100km and then have to bail. A mate of mine also had to bail about 40km in with stomach issues. Definitely looking forward to it though. Will be without a doubt the toughest thing I'll have ever done.
 
Ya didn't think i would need much but it could also be a combination of factors, one being that i haven't been to gym for 2 weeks and body couldn't handle the sudden need for energy.

Yeah indeed. Not sure what you usually do at gym but the sudden increase in aerobic activity could definitely leave you feeling flat during a run. At least now if you know it's going to happen, you can have something before the start to get you through. Nothing major though. Maybe a banana or some sort of energy bar and an Energade will suffice.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X