The official running thread™

Stick to the stretching and foam rolling, Maybe do some strength work for your calves, ive been told weak calves are one of the biggest culprits. When mine first started I made one of these to sleep with, helped with the morning soreness:
https://www.amazon.com/Plantar-Fasciitis-Sock-Vive-Tendonitis/dp/B01N4WP79B

Your first steps generally tear the plantar fascia so this way the fascia pad tears are already healed and stretched so it cant tear when you take your first steps. It helped me, my plantar fasciitis completely went away but over Oct/Nov last year I ramped up the mileage in training to do the vaal full marathon and I ended up buggering it up again and since then ive done nothing to try sort it out again and I ended up only doing the 21k which was the most painful run ive ever done so now sticking to the shorter distances until such time as I get my butt in gear and get my niggles sorted.
 
Here we go... 21.1km to go, field of 4000 runners, most are behind me (at least until we start)

c1f91f168de4f2d07f1c63f417a015d0.jpg
 
Being following this thread for a while, old back of pack runner now a walker due to arthritis. Anyway for plantar fascitis I build up my arch support on the inserts. I use mouse pad rubber.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20190501_083154.jpg
    IMG_20190501_083154.jpg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 21
Anyone doing the Colgate 15KM in Boksburg on Sunday? It will only be the second time that Im doing more than 10KM.
 
I take my hat off to you okes running at altitude. I went to visit my brother and his family on the Vaal last year and we went for a little 8km trot around the golf estate. I nearly died!
 
I take my hat off to you okes running at altitude. I went to visit my brother and his family on the Vaal last year and we went for a little 8km trot around the golf estate. I nearly died!

ah but i think we are just used to it
 
My age, weight and lack of training caught up. Last time I took more that 2 hours was on my first one in 2011. But still glad I did it. The only race on my calendar I have done every year since I made a life change at 30.
 
3.2km @ 20.2 - man did i struggle today, mentally mostly i guess, but also my right shin and my left hamstring...
 
So I did my first half-marathon yesterday (Wally Hayward in Pretoria, same as @jman ) which was the longest run I've ever done by almost exactly 7km.

First 12km or so were lekker, had a bit of a "Why am I doing this to myself? I'm sick of here!" moment around 12-13km in but then I pulled myself towards myself and it was lekker again until about 19km at which point everything from my waist down started hurting. Finished in 2:08:30 which I was really happy with but today my calves are f**ked, can barely walk. Rest of me feels fine though and cardio wise I was really happy with how I was feeling and what my average HR was.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X