The official running thread™

So I did my first half-marathon yesterday (Wally Hayward in Pretoria, same as @jman ) which was the longest run I've ever done by almost exactly 7km.

First 12km or so were lekker, had a bit of a "Why am I doing this to myself? I'm sick of here!" moment around 12-13km in but then I pulled myself towards myself and it was lekker again until about 19km at which point everything from my waist down started hurting. Finished in 2:08:30 which I was really happy with but today my calves are f**ked, can barely walk. Rest of me feels fine though and cardio wise I was really happy with how I was feeling and what my average HR was.
Well done!

My first half marathon was also a killer on the body. After a couple more, not so much. Only upwards from here!
 
Im struggling quite a lot with plantar fasciitis (Self diagnosed).
No pain during running, but usually early morning i struggle quite alot.
After a few stretches its good. I've been rolling my legs with a foam roller, and my arches with a massage ball.
Any other recommendations?
The only thing that worked for me was getting inserts for my running and work shoes, and wearing them all the time. It still took months to heal.
 
man my right leg is getting them shin splints, i cant imagine foam rolling a shin is going to be comfortable?
 
so with getting into running i am finding i find it a lot easier to skip gym in the afternoons... like a lot....

considering just canning gym, try do a quick body weight or dumbells exercise after my run in the mornings, any of you doing something like this?
 
If any of you want incentive, Eliud Kipchoge won the London Marathon in 2:02:38. If he ran Parkrun at that pace, he'd finish in 14:36...
 
so with getting into running i am finding i find it a lot easier to skip gym in the afternoons... like a lot....

considering just canning gym, try do a quick body weight or dumbells exercise after my run in the mornings, any of you doing something like this?

What are you trying to get out of gym? If it's strengthening, then you can stick with it. If you're doing it to bulk up, then that probably won't help your running too much. That being said, leg strengthening is important but that's something that can be done at home with some simple exercises.
 
What are you trying to get out of gym? If it's strengthening, then you can stick with it. If you're doing it to bulk up, then that probably won't help your running too much. That being said, leg strengthening is important but that's something that can be done at home with some simple exercises.

i have been gymming on and off for like probably 8 years, at one stage about 6 years ago i had a pretty good build and strength (for my size - im a smaller guy) - if you see me you would probably tell i have some tell tale signs of gymming :p thicker chest, bigger arms, i would probably like to retain strength mainly, tone up, not really worried about size, all my "size" is wiggly now anyway :p note i'm not obese, just a bit soft, probably still stronger than most average guys bigger than me
 
I'm gradually increasing distance to do a decent 10km. Did 6.7km in 40mins this morning, trying to focus on breathing and form.

Was nice getting out there while still dark.
 
I'm gradually increasing distance to do a decent 10km. Did 6.7km in 40mins this morning, trying to focus on breathing and form.

Was nice getting out there while still dark.

nice thats a solid time!

when you run in the dark, do you wear any reflective bands/clothing or a light?
 
Don't have a headlight, but definitely something bright. Don't wanna be roadkill.

so i have been running in the dark and my clothing is pretty dark, cars do see me but i also look out and its pretty quiet, my bigger concern is becoming a target for crime if i can be seen easily.
 
Who's doing what this weekend? Rest for me after Wednesday's effort.
 
Who's doing what this weekend? Rest for me after Wednesday's effort.

Did a walk/hobble this morning (4.5km) because my calves are still poked after Wednesday.

Taking a rest day tomorrow and then a 100km cycle race on Sunday :thumbsup:
 
i prefer it, quiet, no odd looks, also gets it out the way and no excuses later if i get busy/lazy

I prefer seeing where my feet are landing. Not being able to do that was extremely unsettling. Even with the street lights I couldn't cope.
 
I prefer seeing where my feet are landing. Not being able to do that was extremely unsettling. Even with the street lights I couldn't cope.

ah no i have super night vision so i can see enough :p i also have above average hearing my wife tells me (though not when it comes to her mumbling xD)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X